what do you think?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by zoebaby, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoebaby

zoebaby Well-Known Member

I met a lady recently who goes to a church, where they dont believe in going to the doctor, for anything. I have seen people like this on t.v. but never met anyone like this in real life. I am living in the midwest, moved from california, and it seems like there are a lot of extremist here. The sad thing is ,is that she has diabetes that hasnt been treated ,and her foot is very infected now, and she will die from something that is very treatable. I just wanted to know what other people think about this?

2. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

For fear of god's unholy wrath no one is replying? :blink:

:pope: :laugh:

I think that is a personal choice of the one's who make it. There are most likely places on earth where they still dislike, fear & avoid technology as we know it today.

3. Dying embers

Dying embers Well-Known Member

Crazy. People like that shouldn't be made go to the doctor, it should be someone else in a white coat!

4. Hmm. I don't think she is mentally ill. Actually, I think she is quite well. Good for her. I admire people who refuse medical treatment.

5. By the way, which church is this?

6. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Well, some folks are stubborn. Although this appears to be a religious thing, I nearly died myself a year or so ago when I became very ill and refused to see a doctor.

7. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

It seems silly to me but thats fine if thats what they want to do, as long as they dont force that part of their belief upon their children.

8. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

I to think they should be able to make that decision as an adult, but I dont think they should be allowed to indoctrine their children with such rubbish, if that child as an adult chooses to follow in that manner than so be it.... but I do believe that even often times adults need intervention and be made/forced to take treatments that otherwise they would not take.... being an adult doesnt always = responsible.

9. Random

Random Well-Known Member

People indoctrinate their children with all sorts of things, though. Nobody stops them from doing that. I personally don't agree with any kind of religious indoctrination before a child reaches some level of maturity in which they realize they have a choice.

10. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

As a youth I had a friend that was Jehovah Witness. They did not allow any life saving medical intervention such as blood transfusions. Sadly, her younger brother could of been saved if that practice was allowed to happen. To this day, I can still remember how haunted my friend was by her brothers' passing but she told everyone that is was God's will. And to this day, I still don't believe it was.

11. zoebaby

The church is called The church of the firstborn, im just kind of heartbroken by this, but it is her choice.

12. zoebaby

I really agree with, like my grandmother told me, one of jesus disiple's was a physician, I think God gave us the capacity to heal people, through medicine. Now her lung's are full of fluid because of the infection in her foot has spread and she's going to die, and she's such a sweet lady. I was joking with her and I told her, okay I'm coming to get you and we're going to the doctor now, and she laughed and told me that she has grown up with these beliefs, too late to change. I guess God need's another angel :smile: . but I can't help wishing she would go to the doctor, I'll miss her!!

13. ybt

ybt Guest

First off let me just applaud all of you on how pro youth rights the comments have been.

But, yeah. Religious beliefs can be weird, but I honestly don't care if somebody else chooses to follow them.

14. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

A concept.. she can hold to with all she is and never break it. It's her choice, her life, her spiritual being.

In my opinon, if you care about the body you have, it's stupid. Rather a lack of respect for your own life. Is she trying to atleast seek other remedies for her diabietes?

I understand it, but I don't let that fear blind me to what we have to the right now, and the future.

lol ..

15. ybt

ybt Guest

What? They've been very pro youth.

16. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Trouble with these people who refuse medical treatment because they think Jesus/God will cure them is they involve their children in this too - It seems they would rather their child dies than to seek medical treatment for said child - I believe in these cases Social Services should take over and legally become that childs guardian, over-ruling the parents wishes; obviously it would have to be through a court order signed by a Judge - and more controversially, perhaps compulsory sterilisation should be a legal option to stop these people producing more offspring, unless they can prove themselves to be, what society deems, better parents - of course society deeming this is just what is currently normal (socially accepted) & who's to say really who is right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.