What does a therapist actually do?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by xan, Jan 28, 2009.

1. xan

xan Chat Buddy

I mean, I went to a couple of sessions with this lady but I got aggitated that she was trying to make me talk and felt like I'd need to get to know her before I could open up. Then felt like she'd feel I was wasting her time if I didn't talk about anything useful for ages, so I quit.

But do they actually help? Can they tell what's wrong with you, get treatment for it and such? Do they make you feel better?

2. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Hi Xan,

Therapy is hard work isn't it lol?

I started seeing my therapist almost 2 years ago now & literally for the first month I just looked at my shoes or the floor! She said it was like trying to get blood from a stone. I felt like you, that I was wasting her time but she understood that things would be hard to start with.

Anyhow, to cut a long story short, I trust her now but it took a while & even now I have my days where I go in & say nothing but we are both better at dealing with it now.

I guess mine helps me or I still wouldn't be seeing her. She didn't say what was up with me, we worked together to identify issues that were affecting me & then she would help me understand why I acted certain ways or done certain things. So I guess in that respect it has been helpful as a lot of the time now I can recognise what triggers me then get help before it gets too much.

Perhaps you just didn't get on with your therapist or didn't give it enough time before you felt you could open up to them, perhaps you weren't in the right frame of mind at the time either? My therapist was always going on at me & asking if I was strong enough to cope with therapy, so yeah we've had our moments but we always managed to work through them.

Are you considering therapy again or you just curious?

3. xan

xan Chat Buddy

Thanks, I don't think it's for me, I'm not sure I could get over the fact that I'd feel like I was wasting time and then distance myself becasue I thought they disliked me for it. Even if I wanted to now I think it'd be hard, the person I saw was at my school and a friend of mine set up me going. I think I'd feel worse if I asked to go and then said nothing. I'll just leave it and hide everything deep away, built up a prety good cage for it all and I seem to be coping...

4. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Hi Xan,

Like I said therapy can be hard work & it isn't for everyone.

You don't have to keep everything to yourself though, if it helps & you are comfortable with it then you can share things with us.

Take care :hug: