• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

what does mental ill health mean, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is "unwellness"? How do you know where the line is? Where "rough patch" ends and "mental ill health" begins?

Oftentimes mental health services only intervene when a person is suicidal or dangerous to themselves or others. How many times have people been sent away from a hospital or a doctor or discharged with the feeling that they weren't considered "bad enough" to warrant medical attention? But I don't just mean when someone needs immediate care or a place of safety - that can be easy to recognise.

When a person already knows their diagnoses and after the limited treatments have been offered, when the person has started trying to help themselves and get on with life again.... And perhaps they succeeded for a bit or a while... But how do you know when it's a "relapse"?

Is it when you start to struggle with difficult emotions? Is it when that struggle starts impacting on your job or your relationships? Is it when you stop managing everyday living stuff like personal hygiene or nutrition? But if that's it, and tomorrow i manage to brush my teeth at last, does that mean im no longer unwell? And what about the fantasies? Is it only when I start Planning that suicidal ideology becomes an issue - a sure sign of mental ill health?

My short, stupid reply is I don't believe anyone on this site is 'unwell', I think it's the world's problem. I mean, it's an non perfect world, then you get this stuff thrown at you that you somehow have to find a way to deal. My experience is, I had to learn that I was not the one who was 'mentally ill', for the most part it was those around me causing the problems who are the truly 'mentally ill'. I do not apologize for myself anymore, and have very different views and perspective on what 'unwell' is now.

Sorry to not answer the question complete, but I've had so many 'experts' that I've talked to that clearly didn't know their butt from a hole in ground and talked to me in a condescending manner, that the next person who calls me 'mentally ill' is going to get a pop in the face. There's not a d*mn wrong with me, I'm simply reacting the best I can to the circumstances that I was dealt. Does that make sense? But yes, there can be a certain gray area in this wording, depending on how you look at it. Thank you for posting

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
I find for me there is a number of things that signifies that I am unwell. Poor sleep, not eating or drinking, feeling sad and tearful, suicidal thoughts etc.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Sometimes I feel that definition is of a more personal basis as opposed to measuring against the algorithmic approaches used by the healtchcare sector. Mainly because the parameters one measures, is against those set by the individual themselves.

Sometimes I feel that definition is of a more personal basis as opposed to measuring against the algorithmic approaches used by the healtchcare sector. Mainly because the parameters one measures, is against those set by the individual themselves.
bullseye Ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$185.00
Goal
$255.00