What does the World think of America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob26003

Started this thread cause I know there are alot of folks from around the World here. I am just curious to get your views on America.

The Majority of the American people hate Bush and do not support his insane War. He probably stole the election in 2000 and maybe even in 04.

What is your opinion of Americans? I know it is very general......... So just wing it if you want :)

He probably stole the election in 2000 and maybe even in 04.
I think that's a potentially rather dangerous (not in a literal sense ;) ) statement to make.

Who knows?

Either way, he was persuasive at the time, although now, in my opinion, this war is totally unjustified - now, not as much as getting rid of Saddam Hussein - that's been done, and was done 3 years ago, basically.
Now, maybe it's politically motivated, for oil, or God knows what!

theleastofthese

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
I'm American and not proud of it. Our leaders are... an unprintable word or words and are perhaps the greatest threat to world peace at this time. The war in Iraq was, imo, totally unjustified, and is about power and oil, not freedom, democracy, or WMD.

Just my opinion...

least

PS; and I don't think it's at all ridiculous that he stole the election in 2000 and 2004... there were too many irregularities in both of them to suit me. I'll never believe he's our fairly elected president - NEVER.:mad:

TG123

Started this thread cause I know there are alot of folks from around the World here. I am just curious to get your views on America.

The Majority of the American people hate Bush and do not support his insane War. He probably stole the election in 2000 and maybe even in 04.

What is your opinion of Americans? I know it is very general......... So just wing it if you want :)
As Canadians we often feel high and mighty bashing Americans for having a person like President Bush in power and because of US foreign policy. Now though we elected people into power who are almost identical to Bush and are doing the same things on a smaller scale.

I think that both Canadians and Americans are infected with the diseases of capitalism, indifference to the suffering of others, secularism, consumerism, greed, and arrogance in believing we are #1 even as our leaders and corporations exploit and murder others around the world. We need to turn to God.

Cristo Vive!
- Tomasz

P

ProzacDeathWish

I believe the world at large, especially the undeveloped nations, absolutely hate us. Having said that, there have been huge anti-Bush rallies all through Europe. I don't know how much of the animosity is anti-American as opposed to being anti-Bush, though.

I think that it is very telling that Bush jr. has the remarkable distinction of having the lowest presidential approval rating since Richard Nixon.

TG123

I believe the world at large, especially the undeveloped nations, absolutely hate us. Having said that, there have been huge anti-Bush rallies all through Europe. I don't know how much of the animosity is anti-American as opposed to being anti-Bush, though.

I think that it is very telling that Bush jr. has the remarkable distinction of having the lowest presidential approval rating since Richard Nixon.
I think you made some good points, Prozac Death Wish.

Cristo Vive!
- Tomasz

Allo..

i don't know much about bush, just that he's an arsehole and is causing the war in iraq lol..

Things i think of when i think of America:
- Fat people (lol sorry)
- McDonalds
- LA - casions etc.
- Ghetto people (traylor parks, bogans)
- Being searched when entering a school building
- Columbine.
- Friends from america
- Guns.
- Busy cities
- Polution
- Too many cars
- Too many people
- being unnoticed.

I'm American and not proud of it. Our leaders are... an unprintable word or words and are perhaps the greatest threat to world peace at this time. The war in Iraq was, imo, totally unjustified, and is about power and oil, not freedom, democracy, or WMD.

Just my opinion...

least

PS; and I don't think it's at all ridiculous that he stole the election in 2000 and 2004... there were too many irregularities in both of them to suit me. I'll never believe he's our fairly elected president - NEVER.:mad:
I am not proud of being American either. The government doesn't care a bit, they are constantly taking help away from thos who need it mental help, support, med plans, benifits etc. And they spend more in one day then the money they give us to last 1 mnth. :dry: :mad: :ohmy: :sad:

Darken

america isnt that great a country .
Native american holocaust.
Made africans into slaves.
Has one of the highest obesity rates in the world.
Has one of the highest crime and teen pregnancy rates.
Mostly religious, but that obviously didnt make us any better people as most claim they are.
Used nukes but doesnt want any other country to have nukes.
Lies to its citizens.
Cares more about oil money than the people of iraq.

Greenforest

Imperialistic government sucks, and how invaders destroyed the beautiful culture and nature belief of Indians, but the American popular culture is good thing:

- great variety of movies, comics and music from different decades
- all the classic TV-series from the 80's, like Miami Vice, MacGyver and Quantum Leap :)
- skateboarding culture

Big cities don't feel tempting, but those suburb areas with row of same looking houses along calm street feel nice.

Smythe

As Canadians we often feel high and mighty bashing Americans
I've heard Canadians speak like that, it makes me embarrassed for my country.
I don't agree with Americas presence in some places, and I don't agree with Canada's presence there either :p,
if it's about oil, send lawyers and rich people, not soldiers.

mike25

North America is a beautiful country with it's vast sweeping landscapes. I for one would relish travelling across the US.
It's a highly distressing fact that the white man decimated the indigenous native American population via disease, slaughter, and 'schooling' of Indian children. :sad: Stanley Kubrick alluded to these themes in his film 'The Shining'.

I've met a few American 'year abroad' students in my time. The ladies were charm personified. The fellas were opinionated, friendly, and good company. They were great ambassadors for their country. They were all aggrieved that much of the world associated America with Bush, because they didn't feel Bush represented them at all.

Personally, I think America, like all other countries, is controlled by those who control the money. In Britain, we have Blair; in the US, you have Bush - they're both puppets, and they play their parts very well. Psychopaths are brilliant actors.
While people constantly direct venom at Bush, and berate his inadequacy, they are depriving themselves of the energy to delve deeper in to (for example), systems of power, think tanks that shape national policy, the psychology of mass manipulation, and the history of empires that have risen and fallen. These kind of topics aren't 'entertaining', or full of positive soundbites, but they are the naked reality of the world we live in.

What is the money system, and how does it work? Why are there only about 13 families who control the entire world banking system?
Who sets up these think tanks? Who funds them? What's their motive?
Carl Jung, Machiavelli, George Orwell (to name a few), all wrote about mass manipulation, and the methods used by the big boys to keep the public docile so as to make domination easier.
There's no exciting rollercoaster with high drama where people are fighting, or having affairs, or robbing banks, etc. This is human nature at its most depraved.

I was amazed when I watched the news today. The anchors reported something which is very disturbing (4 British soldiers killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq), immediately followed by the 'Keith Richards snorting his Dads ashes' story. The Richards story is so bizarre and surreal, and to my mind, rubs off on the seriousness of the story before, therefore manipulating the viewer in to perceiving the 4 deaths as bizarre and other-worldly; thereby not contemplating them in the cold light of day.

Last edited by a moderator:

LetItGo

Staff Alumni
i don't know much about bush, just that he's an arsehole and is causing the war in iraq lol..

Things i think of when i think of America:
- Fat people (lol sorry)
- McDonalds
- LA - casions etc.
- Ghetto people (traylor parks, bogans)
- Being searched when entering a school building
- Columbine.
- Friends from america
- Guns.
- Busy cities
- Polution
- Too many cars
- Too many people
- being unnoticed.
Ya its all that, but then again go to Sydney and youll find all that as well, just on a smaller scale....minus the guns.

I dunno, 95% of non U.S citizens that pass judgement have never been there, and we do tend to get feed a rather skewed, niche, hollywoodized, generalized diet of U.S news here in Australia.

The average american is probably very differant to how most non U.S citizens think they are.

In saying all that Im in no real hurry to go there....I wouldnt mind visiting L.A, New York and Vegas...and some of the natural wonders as well...but its not at the top of my list of places to visit.

Esmeralda

I highly recommend Vegas. I've been 5 or 6 times so far, and as far as a mini-holiday goes, Vegas packs the biggest punch of them all. Just don't stay longer than 4 or 5 days :)

J

America : a beautiful place with many things to do and see.

American people : depends on what State. I know people go on about the US of America, but I see each State as a little country because they can be so different at times.

I've met rednecks in the South and can't say I was very happy for one of them to try and shoot my Granma with a shotgun just 'cause she listens to black music.
I like that the people I've met in Florida are proud to be a member of their country, and to have the American flag on their houses.
I don't like those religious extremists that use their religion as an excuse to brainwash and control the vulnerable.
I found it sickening in Florida to see those kids in electric wheelchairs because they were so fat.
I think, like just about everywhere you go in the world, you'll meet all kind of people in America, good or bad.

As for your current president, I find him funny as Hell. I love the way he quotes Stalin in his speeches. "You're either with us or you're against us!"
:laugh:

jupiter202

Wow. This is a rough thread.

Without touching on the whole politics thing: there are SO many amazing things about my country as well. Travelling the US you can see SO many beautiful, different things and people. I personally am from NY, and yeah we have the stereotype of being "rude, loud, etc"....but I have seen the same in other countries as well. I dont think you can say "this specific state has THIS type of people", etc. I think theres a lot of beauty to be seen here and lots of interesting people as well. Just like other countries.

Although, if I could move to Canada (specifically calgary) tomorrow? Id do it in a heartbeat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00