What does this quote mean?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by RyanKey=MyLife, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyanKey=MyLife

RyanKey=MyLife Well-Known Member

"The Heart has reasons which reason cannot understand."

2. xan

xan Chat Buddy

That love isn't something logical that you can try and work out. You might love someone regarless of how much they hurt you and how little reason there seems to be for them to deserve your love.

3. RyanKey=MyLife

RyanKey=MyLife Well-Known Member

Thanks, that sounds very true:smile:

4. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I agree

You follow your heart no matter what your brain says.

5. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

Don't mean to be rude but this is one of the dumbest quotes I've ever read.
    The heart isn't a organ that feels any emotion..... it is all in your head! It's funny cause the brain is made up of both what they claim the heart does (love and hate) and regular logical thought. You know it's wrong but you do it anyways or you do something that can't be explained later.

With enough time and effort of course, most everything can be understood with reason. Whether it is wrong, right, good, evil, real or fake is up to the person observing it.

This quote seems like a touched up way of saying "I don't know why this is happening.".

6. fromthatshow

The heart does hold memories and feelings!
    I remember reading an article of a heart transplant of a guy who had all these sudden new cravings for things he never liked before. They've done studies on memory and they can't locate it exactly.

7. BioHomocide

Oh pish posh. Link or it never happened. :tongue:

8. fromthatshow

alright let me search for it

9. fromthatshow

"Does the heart have memory? The question has been around for years. The question arises anew after years of transplanting the heart or other organs into human beings and noticing some changes in the recipients. After having had heart transplants some recipients have noticed profound changes in their personalities. For some, there is an overwhelming need to consume quantities of Mexican foods when that type of cuisine was never a favorite. For others, a sudden love for football, when sports were previously hated, comes into play.

How can these phenomena be explained? Can the heart actually feel, think, and remember? The answer could shed light on how memory is handled by human.

Rollin MacCraty from California's Hearthmath University has devised tests which show how the heart processes information. His tests showed that the heart responded before the brain when encountering an emotional event. He concluded the heart must have the ability to process emotional data.

To associate heart with memory is a legitimate proposition based on these findings. But there is no medical evidence indicating that changing the heart to a mechanical heart leads to memory loss. This implies memory is not stored in the heart. Could it be because that heart does not store memory but is a gateway to the memory? What kind of memory can be accessed through heart? Are other organs gateways to limited memory too? These questions ask for expanding memory research to a much wider ground besides the brain."

-http://ezinearticles.com/?Does-Memory-Reside-Inside-the-Brain&id=2011790
    full article

10. BioHomocide

Here you posted it does.

But then here it proves my point.
    It may be a simple memory like perhaps memory about how fast to beat during a certain feeling or such but still holds no important memories. The heart does what it's job is to do, keep you alive by beating and sending oxygen rich blood through your veins. Simple memories and feelings are not about love or important experiences but rather what has happened and how the heart can react or should react to the body. All that stuff about people wanting to eat Mexican food or wanting to watch football after a transplant can be simply explained by people making stuff up. They could of known about the other person's love for Mexican food or football. Or when it boils down to it it's just humans be human. People change. Things happen and oh wow you might want to start eating a specific type off food.

11. fromthatshow

It could be people making stuff up, or it might not be. The point is they don't know, and there is evidence that memory could be stored in the heart.

12. BioHomocide

Your quote says:
    To associate heart with memory is a legitimate proposition based on these findings. But there is no medical evidence indicating that changing the heart to a mechanical heart leads to memory loss. This implies memory is not stored in the heart. Could it be because that heart does not store memory but is a gateway to the memory? What kind of memory can be accessed through heart? Are other organs gateways to limited memory too? These questions ask for expanding memory research to a much wider ground besides the brain.

The person clearly says the heart is a gateway to memory. As in your body memorizes things from the use of your heart. But I was just saying that the heart is not the organ that is used for real memories and feelings.

People just use the saying of the heart to express love and such in a romantic way.

13. fromthatshow

But why the heart? It had to originate from somewhere.

14. BioHomocide

Well in the ancient times people believed your heart was where your soul/spirit was. Where you thought and felt from. The heart was the most important part of the body. :tongue:

But now with modern science we know the truth.

15. fromthatshow

science versus religion
    one day they will agree
    I think science will prove what buddhism has been teaching for years

At one time we thought the world was flat. A spiritual reality I think will one day be proven. It's all energy.

16. BioHomocide

I don't think all religions will or can ever agree with science.
    There are simply too many religions.....and too many gods.

The world is energy, everything is energy.
    In the smallest atom there is energy.
    Our world was created from the destruction of other worlds and materials.
    If you need a god look up into the stars and out into the universe
    That is where we came from and where we will return to.

17. fromthatshow

God is just a word. Science might call God something else when they discover more about the nature of reality. We're getting closer.

18. BioHomocide

Yes but I am just saying how religions see god/gods versus how science sees god is almost totally different so it would be hard for them to ever agree.

Science proving god doesn't exist will just cause religious fanatics to say that it is intolerance and angry atheists being angry atheists.

19. shades

shades Staff Alumni

BIO: The person simply asked the meaning of a quote and received some legitimate answers; they did not ask for a physiological dissertation on the organs of the human body.

20. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Bringing science to this, I'd say it's refering to instincts and the inability of the human mind to truly comprehend them with an emotional mind. The subliminal mind creates the notion of love and infatuation and pins it onto those the body deems to be the most likely to bear healthy offspring. Evolution at work. Our emotional, poetic minds interpret this as a romance and a bond between people.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.