What does your therapist do?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by kayako44, Nov 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kayako44

kayako44 Active Member

What does your therapist do when suicide is brought up? Do you guys talk about it, or does your therapist automatically freak out and lock you away in the hospital?
  2. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

My psychologist does not have the power to have me admitted.

We talk about it and if she thinks i am in a bad enough state then she will suggest i go to the hospital.

But for the most part she will jsut try and calm me down which she is very good at.
  3. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

My counsellor knows that I'm suicidal, and tries to talk about it, but I refuse to discuss it in detail with him, mainly because I'm incapable of articulating my feelings in a coherent way, but also because I fear him breaking confidentiality.

Generally, the last thing they want is for you to end up in hospital, so they will only consider that as a very last resort.

4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

we talk about it openly. she also doesn't have the power to have me admitted, but if i'm really struggling she asks me to consider going into the hospital.

to be honest we talk about suicide alot.
  5. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

My therapist won't talk about it..When I bring it up she changes the subject.. All she says is everyone has those thoughts once in a while..She has got me to the point that after five years of therapy I don't go anymore..
  6. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

I was able to talk about it openly, I think any therapist who's unwilling to talk about it is not doing their job.
  7. Withdrawn

Withdrawn Well-Known Member

She locks me into the hospital.
  8. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Well-Known Member

My therapist could have me hospitalized if I say the wrong thing such as, I am going to kill myself when I leave or later that day, I tend to avoid such talk and talk about other things bothering me.
  9. kayako44

kayako44 Active Member

My therapist tries to keep me out of the hospital, but she knows that if I really need to go in, she helps me with that as well. Whenever suicide becomes an issue, emotions are already intense with me, and sometimes I don't make the best choices, but she helps to guide me in the right direction.
  10. plshelpme

plshelpme Well-Known Member

mine assesses the situation...she has NEVER suggested going to a hospital...she keeps it confidential and talks to me about it, probably to make sure i'm not planning on doing something...she asks me everyday how suicidal i am...and hospitals are probably a last resort for her as well...
  11. plshelpme

maybe you should try writing it down before you go in...it might help you work through it if u can talk about it to your therapist...and it might help you to express it coherently if it's written out ahead of time
  12. kayako44

kayako44 Active Member

That's a great idea. I know when I'm caught up in my suicidal thoughts, its sometimes hard to express myself clearly by the time I get to my therapy appointment.
  13. confused.com

confused.com Member

I'm so glad someone started this thread! I don't know what to do with regards to my counsellor. I started seeing him a couple of months ago, during which time I was admitted to hospital twice after trying to kill myself.
    I've tried to talk to my counsellor about it but it does feel a bit like he wants to change the subject because he always tries to turn it round to how I'm feeling now.
    It's not that I don't think that is important, but trying to kill yourself is a pretty big thing and I would quite like to talk about how that feels!
    I don't know if it's because he's uncomfortable talking about it, or it upsets him, or maybe he's more interested in the solution that the problem, but at the moment I feel suicidal all day every day but I don't know how to bring it up because he doesn't seem to want to talk about it.
    Anyone have any advice?
  14. WishICould

WishICould Well-Known Member

I found talking to my CPN usually helped when I was in a really bad way but talking to him made me worse on those days where actually I wasnt too bad.

I never tell him how bad I am and what my thoughts are - I can see him trying to prise answers from me and I simply shut down the door.

Now I've been made an appointment with a psyciatrist (sorry about spelling) - anyway a Doctor - and wondering whether to turn up for appointment at all. See my thread "Quick question" relating to whether I'd be locked up if I told them I was going to suicide.
  15. kayako44

kayako44 Active Member

I think that you need to talk to your counselor about how important it is to you to be able to discuss your suicidal thoughts. I find that being able to vent to my therapist about my suicidal thoughts helps me to get those emotions and urges out in a much more positive way, and she is able to help me through those hard times, rather than changing the topic to avoid discussing suicide. I think it's a good positive coping skill, and I think that your counselor should be willing to help you face it rather than avoid it.
  16. plshelpme

i find that being straightforward and honest with my counselor is the best way to get the most out of sessions...and you should take time to stop and assess the method of approach...so i agree with kayako44...my current counselor made sure to ask me what i like/don't like, and i told her that i HATED when my previous therapists would ask "how does that make you feel?" and she doesn't do that!!! so i don't hate her...haha...

but yeah...be honest and TELL HIM that you want to talk about that...

and, if he's not working for you, you probably need to change counselors...sometimes, they're just not right for you...i went through maybe 5 before i found somebody who works (this could be b/c i have no money so i go to REALLY cheap places, but either way)...i also have a four week rule, cuz you will feel awkward the first couple of weeks, but by the fourth week, you should be able to accurately/realistically assess if the therapist is working for you...

good luck!
  17. kayako44

kayako44 Active Member

I think when I talk to my therapist next....I need to talk to her about suicide more in depth.......last time I saw her, she asked if I was having suicidal thoughts, or just self-harm thoughts. I was having suicidal thoughts, but didn't really emphasize to her that they were getting more serious than usual. It's hard for me to tell her that because I'm afraid that I will just end up in the hospital again...but I don't know if I'm entirely safe here on the outside...
  18. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

My first time speaking to a professional on it was speaking to a psychiatrist about being voluntarily admitted for observation with the doctor's full knowledge I was fairly suicidal at times leading up to then so I never really had to worry about 'coming out' to a professional. I'm in Canada so admitting me was no financial worry for anyone.

I can only say this: my firsthand experience of the mental health care system in Canada (In particular Toronto and the Whityby hospital that serves most of Ontario) was excellent and helpful.
  19. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

hey terry i'm in toronto too. i've been admitted to st. joseph's health centre. their short stay unit is excellent, their regular ward a bit more difficult to be in. health care is good here in canada, eh?
  20. Cutter

Cutter Member

Everyone wants to put me in the cage...thats why I cant talk to anyone
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.