what effect has SF had on you?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by oval, Feb 1, 2011.

?

did SF help you?

1. it helped me. i got the support i needed

18 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. nothings changed. i still feel the same way

17 vote(s)
    27.0%
  3. it made me worse..

5 vote(s)
    7.9%
  4. well at least i found some friends

23 vote(s)
    36.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oval

oval Well-Known Member

ok ive been wondering how you sf members feel about the site and how you feel now, after having been here for a while.
    what has changed for you? has anything changed for you at all?
    whatcha think?

2. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

When i first joined it was great, the people was great, and slowly over time its like the entire site is made up of kids who just want to talk to you like they know everything, treat everything as a point scoring exercise. Then there are the blatant cliques that have formed but of course thats all in my head. Oh and lets not forget all the sexual predators that seem to lurk on here largely undetected.

3. doityourself

doityourself Well-Known Member

I think SF has helped me I can talk to others that know and can understand what I feel like. If youve never been there then its hard to explain or even commprehend how hard it can be at times, SF Knows....

I have also met some good people here including you that I enjoy just chatting to.

So I would say yes its helped me, and Ive made more friends. So I guess its a win win for me.

Now another topic is to know when you need to take a break, it can be ovewhelming to think and see this many people hurting and sometimes I feel like I just want to post in everyones thread even if Im not saying anything of value.

4. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Oh and then theres the people who think its acceptable to take over thread after thread after thread like they are the only people in the entire world who needs distracting making people feel even worse.

5. freedom

freedom Well-Known Member

It definitely is a great comfort having people you can talk to on issues it would be very hard to share with the majority of people face to face. Here there is as much anonymity as you care to have and everything is based around people more likely to have experience with the issues you may find it hard to discuss elsewhere. Thank you Suicideforum! :) You've saved me many times.

6. black orchid

black orchid Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you on this.

7. hollowvoice

hollowvoice Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

being me it depends what kind of mood im in when im good and happy its nice to have my friends on here
    when im depressed and more i think it triggers me
    good thread sorry if you go on leave ,not too long i hope xx

8. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

It can be good to 'know' there's others like you out there.

I'd say it has helped me yes. I just have to do the rest myself :tongue:.

9. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I would say that it actually made me worse when I first started coming here and posting in the first several months. The behavior by many at the time actually resembled something goony such as somethingawful.com's forums where you have all the assholery one could expect from any social network.

But I took a long break from it, and apparently developed an overall better mood and became no longer desperately suicidal and hopeless, although I still struggle with bouts of mania and depression in extreme swings and changes in mood. I don't have as much destructive and overt anger as I did before, and I attribute this to the ability to have a diary on here -- for some people it may be useless, but for me it has been a great way of coping with anger and sadness, where I can say what I want to say and feel like I'm letting the world know how I feel. I don't feel that I have a lot of hatred locked up inside of me anymore because I've been able to express that and vent those frustrations at length, and feel that someone is at least listening.

So, overall, I would say that the site has been helpful for me, no matter how little. It's good to be in an environment with others who have had the same struggles and can relate.

10. gakky1

gakky1 Well-Known Member

nothings changed. i still feel the same way

Probably my own fault though, have gotten some suggestions though really haven't said completely what my problems are, just drip and drabs there, still feel too guilty about saying things and too paranoid that others will dislike me even more,:grr: though I hope some of my posts have helped.:unsure:

11. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

it's def helped. mind you i am careful how i use the site. i stay out of chat, i find it very triggering. very cliquey as other people have said.

mostly i find support from other people's responses to my threads. it's good to have a place to be honest when i can't get in to see my therapist. this is a good stand in until i see her next. i really value you guys. thanks.

12. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

It's definitely helped me.. It has saved my life three times..I remember I was a basket case when I first came here.. Now I have friends and people to talk to..

13. Cute_Angel_Xx

Cute_Angel_Xx Account Closed

I guess itts helped I've made many friend to :)
    But I've always ended up crying myself to sleep every night reallly late :blub:

14. Matt93

Matt93 Well-Known Member

It has helped me from time to time, though, sometimes, I do just feel so bad there's no point.

I've made a very select few friends here, no-one really to talk to. There's a few that I can talk to. Just, afraid to bug them I guess.

15. lost81

lost81 Staff Alumni

It saved my life when I thought I had nothing else to turn to. I owe a lot to this place. :wub:

16. me myself and i

me myself and i Account Closed

17. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

Made some friends.

It has never saved me.

18. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

realised im not alone. or as pathetic as i think i am.
    because others are in the same boat.

19. pooky

pooky Forum Buddy

I have come to know that here are(on SF) some ppl who do care and love me but then why in real life there is so much hatred and negligence for me?

20. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Chat Buddy

This is a difficult one to answer. Like anywhere there are good and bad points.

Sometimes I feel so bad and I feel like I can't talk to anyone about the way I feel. Those times this place is a sanctuary because without it I would be alone with my thoughts and with no one to vent too.

However, when i am on a level plane with my thoughts this place allows me to wallow in bad thoughts even when I am not doing that bad. Its quite a depressing place on the whole and does tend to remind me all too much of the bad things in the world. Also I have been triggered in chat on many occasion.. it is a fast paced environment and before you know whats happening arguements run wild and things are said that shouldn't be.

That being said, the highlights of this place are the friends I have made. Some of which have helped me from doing some very stupid things. They listen when I need it and they make me laugh when I need that.

When I first joined SF wayyyyyy back in 2006 :laugh: I never used chat. I stayed on the forum, although I did chat to a select few through other instant messengers and private messages. I left for 3 years and had my darkest times during that time. When I came back I had improved some but not fully. This time I avoid the forum on the whole and almost exclusively use chat. The way SF effects me seems to be the same whether by chat or forum. The good and the bad.

This place is very depressing, but thats because its full of people in pain. It is also refreshing because irl people hardly ever show their true feelings or listen to others. Its also quite addictive, at least for me, I find I come here even when I do not particularly 'need' to but then I have made some good friends and do hope I can help others too.

I think whats important for me, to make the most of this site and not let it hinder me, is to come here not because of habit and to not come on and start to wallow. Right now i am here an awful lot but that is because of how bad I feel...

This place is just a place. Its the people that are here that make it what it is. There are some awful people that do reside here.... as mentionned above.. However, there are some exceptionally fantastic people here too, they are the ones I am interested in, the ones that keep me here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.