What exercise can I do?

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Madam Mim, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, wondered if anyone can help me? I need to find a way to exercise (I'm about three stone overweight, maybe three and a half now, haven't dared weigh myself), but I get a lot of joint pain (because I have autoimmune disease, not because of my weight, although that surely doesn't help - all the more reason to exercise).

Anyway, I used to swim, but now I have psoriasis so can't swim. I used to do aerobics at home, at my own pace so it didn't hurt too much, but for complicated reasons I can't exercise at home anymore. I'd love to walk, but it just hurts too much and I don't have much space time. And all the time I'm putting more and more weight on, which just isn't helping. So what can I do? I'm going to just have to join a gym aren't I? Meh.

Sorry, this sort of turned into a rant, but any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Mim

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Maybe consulting a physical therapist and having someone take a more informed look at what you can do would be helpful. That way you help yourself with out any injury.

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

There are exercises a physio professional can give you to help burn calories with less impact also getting a consult with a dietitian will help to to set up a diet that will also help you lose the weight you wish hugs

4. Madam Mim

Thank you for your replies. I think you're right, I need to speak to a pysiotherapist and find out what would be best. Weighed myself this morning, and need to lose about 50lbs. I'm pretty good at dieting when I decide to, it's just the exercise I struggle with these days.

Thank you again.
    Mim

5. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

i saw a physiotherapist and they joined me in the health Centre gym with their special exercises made just for me..
    I have autoimmune disease and lost of pain too but manage 'gym' ok
    I hope they have something like this in your country
    Good luck Mim..

6. Madam Mim

Thank you, I'll try this and see if they can help.

Mim