What generation and / or cusp do you belong to?

Ok so sometimes i look up geeky things like generations and cuspers. I myself was born in 1976. I belong to two generations according to Wiki. My main generation is X. However, I also fall into a cusp know as Generation Xer/Millennial, born 1975–1980

Ok so how do you identify?

First I'll put the generations then the cuspers:

• The Lost Generation, also known as the Generation of 1914 in Europe, is a term originating with Gertrude Stein to describe those who fought in World War I. The members of the lost generation were typically born between 1883 and 1900.
  • The G.I. Generation, is the generation that includes the veterans who fought in World War II. They were born from around 1901 to 1924, coming of age during the Great Depression. Journalist Tom Brokaw described U.S members of this cohort as the Greatest Generation in a book of the same name.
  • The Silent Generation, also known as the Lucky Few, were born from approximately 1925 to 1942. It includes some who fought in World War II, most of those who fought the Korean War and many during the Vietnam War.
  • The Baby Boomers are the generation that were born mostly following World War II. There are no precise dates when the cohort birth years start and end. Typically, they range from the early-to-mid 1940s and end from 1960 to 1964. Increased birth rates were observed during the post–World War II baby boom making them a relatively large demographic cohort.
  • Generation X, commonly abbreviated to Gen X, is the generation following the baby boomers. Demographers and researchers typically use starting birth years ranging from the early-to-mid 1960s and ending birth years in the early 1980s. The term has also been used in different times and places for a number of different subcultures or countercultures since the 1950s.
    • In the U.S., some called Generation Xers the "baby bust" generation because of the drop in the birth rate following the baby boom. The drop in fertility rates in America began in the late 1950s. But according to authors and demographers William Strauss and Neil Howe (who use 1961 to 1981 for Gen X birth years), there are approximately 88.5 million Gen Xers in the U.S. today.
  • Millennials, also known as Generation Y were born in early to mid-1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years.As of April 2016, the Millennials surpassed the Baby Boomers in size in the U.S., with 76 million Boomers and 77 million Millennials.
  • Generation Z, also known as the iGeneration, Post-Millennials, Homeland Generation, or Plurals is the cohort of people born after the Millennials. Demographers and researchers typically use starting birth years ranging from the mid-1990s to the mid-2000s, while there is little consensus yet regarding ending birth years. A significant aspect of this generation is the widespread usage of the Internet from a young age.
Cuspers:

Cuspers is a name given to those born during the cusp years of two generations.

Following their "BridgeWorks Generations Survey", Lancaster and Stillman identified the following cuspers: Traditionalist/Baby Boomer, born 1940–1945; Baby Boomer/Generation Xer, born 1960–1965; Generation Xer/Millennial, born 1975–1980; and Millennial/Generation Z, born 1995-2000

Other sources define the Generation X/Millennial cusp using later birth years. The Oregon Trail Generation, a name given to those born during the Generation X/Millennial cusp years, uses the late 1970s to early 1980s. Other names for those born during the Generation X/Millennial cusp years include Xennials and Generation Catalano.

Mark Wegierski of the Hudson Institute defines the Baby Boomer/Generation X cusp as between 1958–1967

Credit: WIKI

Dawn

Hi Matt, welcome to the forum. This is the most nonjudgmental, understanding and kindest place on the net (I think). Let us know if we can help in any way.

That was so interesting. Thanks for posting. I'm Gen x. And glad I didn't grow up with the internet. Ppl were not so busy and had more time for each other and not glued to a phone. I loved the 80's so much and wish I could go back. Especially, when the guys had long hair and yes, I liked their spandex outfits too sometimes, lol:D And the music from that time. I love rock so enjoyed the 90's too.

Oh, if only I knew then what I know now. And the ever true cliché that youth is wasted on the young. But what can u do, I'm an old fogie and stuck here now. :eek:o_O

Last edited:
Technically Im a baby boomer born in 1959. However I feel no connection to those born 5 yrs or more before me. I feel much more connection to the next wave Generation X.

Kolisar

SF Supporter
Gen X'er here. I had long hair in the 1980's and while there was no internet to speak of, I did spend a lot of time using BBS systems, but I started with computers back in '76 so that would have been expected.

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
I’m either a young Gen Xer or an old Millenial, according to that. Which I’m a little surprised by, I always thought of millenials as being a bit younger than that, with the oldest of them still being in their late 20s. But yeah, “Oregon Trail Generation” actually sounds like pretty much the perfect description of my age group.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
Born: October 14 1965. Not really a boomer, not really an Xer. Not really belonging in any of those worlds. A classic, textbook Libran if there ever was one, that's me.

Flying Fox

Upside-down Hugger
SF Supporter
Generation Y here, same as my sister, with baby boomers parents. :) Times were simpler back them; I miss 'em.

Last edited:

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00