What gives your life meaning?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by claycad, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claycad

claycad Well-Known Member

What makes you all go on? I’ve been on meds for a while now, and they are working. In fact this is the first time I’ve logged on to SF in 3 years. I can actually say that I am in a good mood most of the time and have been for a while. Despite this, not a day goes by that I don’t think about killing myself. My mood seems to have very little to do with thoughts of suicide. I don’t think there is any significance to our existence. While I enjoy things in life, hobbies, people etc., ultimately I am unsatisfied.

I’ve found that you can be happy, but still very unsatisfied since nothing I do, or any one does, really matters. The thing that has always kept me from actually killing myself if concern for my family. I don’t want to do that to them, but I am getting to the point where I don’t know how much longer I can go on. Even though I’m in a good mood most of the time, I am still apathetic. I don’t want to deal with my obligations or responsibilities any longer, because there is no point to putting up with the stress of such meaningless activities. How do some of you motivate yourselves? What gives your life meaning?

No religious answers please. I've been down that road, it doesn't work for me. If you give one you're pretty much asking for a debate on why religion is bunk, so be forewarned.

2. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

Other people give my life meaning.

By that I mean the family that raised and loves me.

The friends who appreciate me - most of the time!

The colleagues who value me in my (ad hoc) work

The woman I haven't met yet.

My life is given meaning by the realisation that I have such a lot to give.

3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

my friends. i have great friends.

and the hope that one day i will truly recover from the crap i've been through. the difficult times have made me more caring and compassionate to others. i hope to use that in a career one day. not sure how but i know i have alot to give.

4. pit

pit Well-Known Member

I don't know. I really don't know why I go on.

:zombie:

5. Borrowed time*

Borrowed time* Well-Known Member

Im with Pit
    I dont like thinking on this question because it just makes me realise i have no reason.

6. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Everything that used to give meaning to my life is now old recycled garbage.

7. ariel2013

ariel2013 Member

aww " the woman I haven't met!!" - thats sweet

I guess the man I never met.

But also my family. My mom and dad are really what is left of it and my mom may die soon. I don't know what I would do then. My dad is kind of unemotional. I can't really talk to him about any problem I have other than money. But I know he loves me and I want to live for him and take care or him when he is old because I know he will be lonely without my mom.

As well as my future. It seems very bright right now but its very hard to maintain. Its adding a lot of pressure on me. I hope my mom can last that long so I can achieve all of my goals. If not it will be a disaster:(

8. am I alive

am I alive Well-Known Member

My mother I guess, i just don't want to hurt her, otherwise i would be dead a years ago. I don't have any other reason but unrealistic hope that things will get better.

9. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

10. dragonfly70

dragonfly70 Well-Known Member

My daughters. My daughters are my world. My husband is important to me as well, but he would find his way without me. My girls need their mother.

You sound weary. What sort of work do you do? Why did you choose that work? You said you enjoy hobbies, people, etc. What about them brings you joy?

I know your question is more of an existential matter, implying that you are looking for some sort of higher purpose. Without discussing religion per se (as I have also been down that road and am taking a hiatus from it all), what about spirituality? Do you believe that your spirit/energy/whatever you want to call it - is connected to anything beyond your own consciousness?

11. shades

shades Staff Alumni

At this time, taking care of my mother and trying to become involved in assisting my nephew as well as trying to help out here at SF.

12. claycad

claycad Well-Known Member

I knew the reason most people would give was other people, parents, children, etc. This is my problem though. I get a long great with my family. My father is dead, but I have a mother and siblings. But I question if they really make my life worth living. I don't want to hurt them, but even though I care for them and I know they care for me, I don't get much joy from them. I want an intrinsic source of happiness. Happiness that doesn't depend on other people, locations, or possessions. A completely internal source of joy. It doesn't exist though.

13. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

I think that concept is a white elephant. Internal happiness is brought about by what's happening around you.

14. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

I live to find a reason to live?
    I don't have a reason yet.
    So I don't know why I live.

15. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

The answer's in that statement - you live to find a reason to live.

And you have faith you will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.