What happens after suicide?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by gavinnn, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gavinnn

gavinnn New Member

Hello everyone..

Where should I start.. I'm nearly 22, I'm good-looking, have many good friends, I'm talented at many things, and intelligent, so one should guess I'm happy with myself. Wrong.

Browse down if not interested at all in what happened

I've had so many horrible years behind me. It started when I was about 16 (the age one starts to become 'oneself'). I started to realise how much i hate this world because of people being selfish, disgusting, and so on, in general, the way the human and the world we humans created functions. I started to have depressions, smoked too much weed (this never had any 'bad' influence on exam results and so on but probably made me even more depressed) so that, at the age of 18, I decided to move to England where some relatives of mine live to sort of 'start a new life'. I dropped the cannabis for alcohol and had alcohol problems. Nevertheless, I still was still seen as the 'fun guy' even though people knew I was depressed. The thing here is that people say 'drugs, alcohol and so on are the reasons for your inner problems', that may be true in some or many cases, but in my case the consuming of cannabis and alcohol is the result of depression. Of course it then becomes a vicious circle but I must stress that it wouldn't have changed they way I felt or feel if I hadn't consumed that much. Anyway, I then wanted to kill myself because I was so unhappy with the world and the people and myself but changed my mind just before I was going to do it. I told myself ‘oh come on you’re only 18 and a young fool – things will get better.

I got excellent A-level results and went back to Switzerland to study Psychology where all my close friends were/are. As time went on, I realised that what I told myself that day I wanted to commit suicide in England was simply not happening. Nothing was getting better. I had girlfriends who loved me very much from what I can tell but I never felt really happy or really in love. And love is something I really need. I hoped and hoped that everything would get better that one day I kind of broke down and couldn’t even get up in the morning anymore. So I got hospitalised for a while (after I wanted to kill myself once again but again changed my mind at the last moment), had to take a break on my studies and then came out with the same positive idea that ‘come on, it will get better’.

I then got to start to know this wonderful girl when I was about 19. First we were kind of ‘friends’ (although we both never saw each other as friends) as she had lost her boyfriend (whom she loved a lot; he died which was very traumatic for her) and she wasn’t ready for a new relationship. We started spending several hours a day together just talking, and it took about a year for us to tell each other we had strong feelings for each other and an other half of a year till we finally were together ‘properly’ (before that everyone could see that we were obsessively in love already). So basically I had been waiting for her and just for her for more than a year. During my ‘waiting-time’ I never even touched an other woman, a) because I loved her so much and wasn’t interested in other women and b) because I didn’t want to hurt her (even though we rarely kissed at that time and I therefore hardly had any physical relations with women). I felt much better during that time because it was the first time I found ‘real love’, she gave me the strength to live and be optimistic about things.

We were ‘properly’ together for over a year (it felt like 3 years because of what I described above and we probably knew each other better than ourselves), till she died in May because of a heart failure she had had since birth which became worse and worse over the years (she died two months after the doctors told her she had 2-6 months left to live if a new heart would not become available which it didn’t in such a short time). I lived for this girl. She was my all and everything. Before the doctors told her she had to die we were already planning on moving in together and went to look at furniture and so on and she even had told me that if I asked her if I wanted her to marry me she would say yes. We had so many plans together, we both thought ‘this is the one’. Now, since her death, a few months have gone by, and I have never felt worse. I found the one thing that could make me feel happy and it was so suddenly snatched away from me. I cry everyday, cannot even watch love movies or so, when I see happy couples the pain in my heart sometimes becomes so extreme that I wish someone would shoot me.

Well anyway, since her death I have snapped. I’ve began smoking like a chimney again (I had stopped smoking thanks to her), I’ve been doing illegal things because I just don’t care anymore so that I will have to go to prison for five days if I cannot pay that huge fine, and I also have other debts. I still study, but quit my part-time job because I cannot really see the logic in working when I then just squander the money on alcohol and cannabis or whatever I just want to do that ‘will make me feel better for a moment’ like a good pizza or watching sport or going to the cinema or so. But all of this is just a waste of time and I am sick and tired of time without her. She once told me she could not live without me and it’s the same for me. I just can’t live without her.

I think I have decided that I want to follow her. I believe in a life after death but I’m not at all religious (so please no solely-based-on-religion-answers), I simply believe that what happens after death is natural and has nothing to do with some god-like figure or so. But as we cannot really know what happens, if we even continue to exist in some manner, I am a bit scared that if I commit suicide I won’t be able to be with her again or that I will be punished in some manner (I don’t believe it, I see it as a possibility that seems unlikely). However, it is a huge decision for me to take whether to risk it to be even being worse on the other side (in the sense that I won’t be able to be with her) or to stay in this hell on earth.

Therefore, this is my question main question:

What happens after one commits suicide (mind/soul)?

And as I was always hoping, in a delusional manner, that everything would get better (and she was the only thing in my whole life until now that really made me feel strong and want to live), why should I stay in this hell on earth? (Reminder: nearly all my plans are shattered because they were only possible with her next to me)

Thank you very much for serious theories / thoughts…

P.S. I am sorry if I told you half of my life story but I thought it might help you help me?

2. gavinnn

gavinnn New Member

Well great I'm probably one of or the only person who hasn't got one single reply.

3. Dragon

Dragon Staff Alumni

Hey there gavinnn.

First of all, my most sincere condolences for the loss you have suffered. I can't even imagine how difficult that must have been for you to deal with.

I have only just noticed your topic, and although I am not sure how much use anything I say might be (I'm only eighteen - not much life experience, there), I will give my own frank and honest opinion.

I am not religious, and I don't believe in heaven or hell. However I will respect your belief that there is life after death and I will build my answer around that.
    It's quite obvious from your post that you loved this girl very much, and so it's natural that you would wish to follow her, but is that what she would have wanted? Would she have wanted you to squander your life away, or end your life, on account of her? Yes, it hurts, I understand that if nothing else, but if she loved you as much as you did her then I don't think she would have wanted you to end up like this.

What I am trying to say is that if you stopped smoking for her, then stick with it, in honour of her. Everything else you did for her, keep on with it, if only for yourself and your own well-being.
    I put to you, that you should live your life, because wouldn't she have wanted it that way? No one wants to see someone they love change or disappear, and I am not trying to even assume that I know you or the love you and she had (I am also rather tired, so sorry if this makes no sense at all), but wouldn't she have wanted you to be happy?

I'm sorry if I have at all offended you, or sounded as if I was intruding, but you wanted a reply, and this is what I have to offer.

Take care of yourself.

Magpie.

4. Cestmoi

Cestmoi Well-Known Member

Nah.

I 'd say though that we people here are used to heartbreaks due to being dumped/rejected or never having been with someone and do not identify with you.

As to your question what happens afterwards, the fact is I don't know, the fact is noone does. Either you take the chance to explore this life or you skip the hassle, but no amount of analyzing and speculating will help you decide. Cause you 'll simply never know for sure.

5. Well, I think there is something.
    After death.
    Natural or suicide.
    I think something is there.

I just don't know what.
    Nobody does.
    It's the unknown.

Scares me. :dry:

6. Entoloma43

Entoloma43 Well-Known Member

From a logical standpoint, nothing happens after you die. The person you are is a result of your brain/mind, thoughts, emotions, memories, etc.. So when the brain no longer functions, you become non-existent.

I don't completely deny the possibility of an afterlife, but I'm leaning towards death is how it was before you were born.

7. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

this is a question i'm sure many here have thought deeply about,i know i have,but to be honest i know what i'd like to be there,an afterlife with peace and tranquility,but as to what actually happens?no one can truly say,it's one of those situations....you only know when you get there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.