What happens after talking to a professional? (Canada)

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by NiTy, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiTy

NiTy Account Closed

I've been, for lack of better term, "down" for a while now, on and off. A few years, I'd say. It's not so much a depression as it is a general wariness... I mean, there isn't a specific situation that brings me down, and things are actually overall very well. But I'm tired, and just not interested, and don't particularly want to be anymore.

I think of suicide much the way I think of eating when I'm hungry-- "Hey, I'm hungry; I should go grab a sammich." It's like that; "I'm tired, I don't want to bother anymore; I should do that now."

It's not a concrete plan, and it's not an overwhelming desire, but the thought is increasingly present, and I am quite sure that it will soon win out.

I suppose the major thing that has held me back has been reaction-- specifically, the pain it would cause my mom and my partner. I've thought of ways around that-- making it not look like a suicide but instead an accident. However, that's hard and not guaranteed and not something I've seriously thought could be done.

I want to feel normal again, and I'm certain that I should talk to someone; however, I worry about what will happen. I'm in Canada (New Brunswick, to be specific), and I am not sure what happens when you tell someone that you have those thoughts. I do not have a family physician, and would have to talk to someone at the mental health clinic. I'm scared that they will want to hospitalize me, and I won't have a choice, and that will cause problems with my job...

Can anyone help me out? I'd like full disclosure on the possible ramifications of talking to a professional about these thoughts.

Take care,

-n

2. riddle

riddle Member

It takes quite a bit to hospitalize someone. I don't know about New Brunswick, but I would imagine it is quite similar to Alberta and Ontario. There are 3 criteria you have (and continue) to meet. You are a danger to self or others (and that is usually only and immediate danger); you are mentally ill; and you are unsuitable for admission any other way (you won't go voluntary.) Doctors are also required to treat you in the least restrictive setting. Given that you don't have a plan, either method or date, I doubt they would try to hospitalize you.

3. NiTy

NiTy Account Closed

Thanks for the quick reply, Riddle.
    If I had in fact put a lot of thought into an appropriate method and time, would it be a mistake to disclose that?

Thanks again.

-n

4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

specific plan, means and date are the important questions. they are concerned about imminent harm. if the date is something like "this month" or even "this year" i wouldn't worry. if it is "tonight or tomorrow" then they would be more concerned. so if you told them you had the means at hand and would attempt in the next 24 hours then they would try and convince you to go to the hospital. somewhere i have an article about your rights as a mental health consumer in canada, if i find it i will follow up this post with the link.

the main thing is to get help. sure, research your rights and stress to your counselor that you do not wish to be hospitalized, but don't let your fears stop you from getting the help that you deserve.

5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

www.crct.org/lanresources/PDFs/CRCT-NMHS-English.pdf

scan ahead to the sections 5 and 6, including "Your Rights"

even though this is an ontario document, it might help answer some of your questions.

i know that the emphasis these days is on community care, so be open to what they have to offer. personally, i worked intensively with an outpatient program. work didn't find out about it and i got alot of support as i started to recover from my suicide attempt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.