What happens when they give up?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by ~Claire, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

I had an appt with my psychologist today, it didn't go well :cry:

She wants me to consider if the therapy is helping. I've been working with her for over a year now & yeah I've had setbacks but that's expected surely? She pretty much said today that she doesn't think I am trying as much as I could be. In my opinion I thought I was doing good, I go to work, I go out, I try to have a life. Fair enough I don't get out as much as I should but I make the effort & I work hard to get myself out all the time. It just feels that it isn't good enough. We spoke about how my family aren't aware of my situation re depression, I think she feels that if I told them then somehow I would be cured. But telling my family is not an option & she knew that from the start, so why do I feel like she is penalising me for it now.

If she decides that we aren't going to do therapy anymore then I don't know what will happen. Psychiatry have already discharged me & I think if this latest med doesn't work then the GP & CPN are going to stop seeing me too. This must be my 5th or 6th med now & none of them seem to work for me.

I just feel like I am a lost cause, surely they can't all stop seeing me & leave me to fend for myself cos I am barely coping as it is & it would me a million times worse without their support.

I don't think I can describe what I feel anymore, numb, that's about it.

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

That is shocking that a therapist would make you feel that way. Feel free to disregard my advice but I would seek another therapist if I were you. I've never had a therapist let me believe that they were going to end sessions before I was ready, or that I was not trying. You are doing the best you can! That is sad and I hope it does not prevent you from seeking counseling in the future. Some people maybe get better in a few weeks, some people maybe need to be in counseling their whole life, it doesn't mean one person is trying harder than the other, it's just the way it is.
    Anyway, many :hug:s. If you ever need to talk, I am here :heart:

3. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Seek another therapist. Your current one is spouting a loud of nonsense. You've been making an effort and she still thinks that's not enough. I guess people only see black and white, not the subtle shades of grey.

4. Dark~ness

Dark~ness Member

Hi Claire :hug: I'm sorry to hear about your appointment.

My therapist said the same thing to me when I was working with him. I thought I was doing really well. But he thought I wasn't trying as hard as I could. You said you have been working with her for over a year? I had been seeing my therapist for coming up 2 years. Maybe you should speak to her and let her know how this has made you feel. Maybe you need to re-evaluate the work you are doing together - see what goals you want to achieve etc... rather than stopping therapy altogether, as I don't think that would be beneficial for you right now. I don't know you, I only know what you have said here, but that is the feeling I get from that.

If you want to talk, pm me - I've been through it too :hug:

D x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.