• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

What happens when you go to the hospital?

I have never been admitted to the hospital for mental health reasons but many days I feel like I should go. What happens when you are admitted? Are you locked up...strip searched, everything taken away, etc.? Thanks.

Thauoy

When I was admitted to hospital because of suicide attempt, my experience was horrible. The doctor and nurses treated me badly as if I am an insane mentally ill person. The nurses were very rude and irritating. They completely lack empathy and compassion towards me. That's why I hate this society and world.

When I was admitted to hospital because of suicide attempt, my experience was horrible. The doctor and nurses treated me badly as if I am an insane mentally ill person. The nurses were very rude and irritating. They completely lack empathy and compassion towards me. That's why I hate this society and world.
Oh I am sorry...when you need help and get the opposite...how discouraging. How have you managed since?

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
It depends on where you live. In the UK you have your property checked and some items removed if they are deemed to be harmful, not just to yourself but others too. If you are voluntary you're not locked up. You might first be on 15 min checks and not allowed off the ward but once you're off them you can come and go as you please. Being sectioned is slightly different though x

Thauoy

I owe five figures from it too. I have insurance they refuse to file and billing me without insurance. Hooray “help”.
I think the mental health facilities in countries like yours is better. In my country the attitude of the people towards the suicidal and mentally ill is very bad. They are looked at by other people in a different manner. Here it sucks.

LonelyHiker

Waitering for Godot
I've not ever spent time in-patient in a mental health ward, but based on accounts I've heard, the experience can range from absolutely horrible, to boring, to wonderful. It seems to be a crapshoot, dependent on where you live and circumstances surrounding the hospitalization.

These were experiences in U.S. facilities btw..

Ixtab

Yea you got to get out of there, too bad they are being so sketchy about the borders. Usa it’s a mixed bag with mental health. More of the East coast places are a nightmare but west has problems too. A hundred years ago western countries viewed suicide as a sin to the Catholic Church and if you attempted and failed you went to prison because of the law. It took a long time to change things in the west and some want to go backwards with harm reduction and compassionate care. All I know about northern India is from a snowboard movie Kashmir Calling. Terrain was beautiful but they didn’t even have a road.

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
Yea you got to get out of there, too bad they are being so sketchy about the borders. Usa it’s a mixed bag with mental health. More of the East coast places are a nightmare but west has problems too. A hundred years ago western countries viewed suicide as a sin to the Catholic Church and if you attempted and failed you went to prison because of the law. It took a long time to change things in the west and some want to go backwards with harm reduction and compassionate care. All I know about northern India is from a snowboard movie Kashmir Calling. Terrain was beautiful but they didn’t even have a road.
i would like to point out that attempted suicide is still illegal in most states. most of them do this to convince you to get the help you need . so basically they can charge you with a crime and since you're a prisoner they can force you to get help. the good news is it's rare that this is used and usually they drop the charges after you get discharged from the hospital....mike

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
Mental hospitals are really bad and I won't ever go back to one.
some are real nightmares that do more harm than good and should be avoided. some are ok nothing great but a good safe place to go when you need it. and there are some great ones out there. they treat you with respect and only use restraints and force when absolutely neccessary. i suggest anyone before they need it look up options in there area. do the research and you can find a good place...mike

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I believe they differ from place to place but no, absolutely not stipped searched. I have had mixed experiences in the psych wards but the main thing is they kept me safe and sound. I think if you feel it will help give it a try, you dont have anything to lose. Go for it and fight these demons head on. 🤗 i know you can do it.

Depending on where you are, hospital isn't as bad as you probably think it is! I've only had two bad experiences (during my last admission). Apart from that hospital has been a positive thing. That being said, it's not something I want to need again!

Last edited:

ib4uib

I was sectioned for 18 days about 10 years ago now. After really bad depression I tried to off myself and ended up sectioned.

The food was ok, but most of it ended up all over the floor as other guests seemed to like throwing it around. Night time was noisy, some people would sing at the top of there voices whilst others liked shouting to other people in other rooms. The dedicated smoking area outside was completely ignored and guests would smoke wherever.

I wasn't to happy with my stay in general as I left a bad write up on Trip Advisor!

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
I was sectioned for 18 days about 10 years ago now. After really bad depression I tried to off myself and ended up sectioned.

The food was ok, but most of it ended up all over the floor as other duests seemed to like throwing it around. Night time was noisy, some people would sing at the top of there voices whilst others liked shouting to other people in other rooms. The dedicated smoking area outside was completely ignored and guests would smoke wherever.

I wasn't to happy with my stay in general as I left a bad write up on Trip Advisor!
but the most important thing is they kept you safe until you could fight again, i'm glad they kept you safe so you have a life that's at least a little better now. i hope i never have to be hospitalized for my safety but it would be better than the alternative..mike...*hug*console*shake

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$95.00
Goal
$255.00