What has your doctor said about it?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Madam Mim, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I have a dermatology appointment next week, and am anxious about my derm seeing my cuts. They're on my thigh, and I've always managed to avoid my dermatologists seeing my thighs, but it's been close a few times.

I'm wondering what she'll say if she does see them. Have you ever had a doctor see your self-harm by accident? What happened?

2. DeadGirl92

DeadGirl92 Member

My doctor is a great one =). Said absolutely nothing, never, not in more than four years. As if it wasn't there. It was only scars, not wounds, but still, nice.

But I heard there are doctors who tell you to see a psychiatrist... If you're adult, they cannot do much more than giving recommendations, at least if you don't tell them you're suicidal or you have extremely physically dangerous wounds.
  3. ali 56

ali 56 Well-Known Member

yes my GP told my psych I was not happy and it made me cringe still does I asked him not to but he said he had too. I hope you are OK - Kind Regards Ali.
  4. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I wish someone would have seen any of my scars...maybe I would not have to have made so many if someone showed some compassion
  5. MoAnamCara

MoAnamCara SF Artist

My doc hasn't seen them. But recently I had to have surgery, not one comment was made to me. (also thigh) But I had asked advice of my therapist before going to the hospital as I was very worried. The advice given was, if questioned, state that it is something you are working on.

:hug: I hope your appointment goes well.
  6. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your replies, they are very reassuring. I'm hoping I'll be able to keep them hidden, but if not I'm now hoping no-one will mention it. I usually end up having students in my appointments too because one of my skin conditions is uncommon, and that would be hugely embarrassing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.