What have your experiences been like in the psych ward or psych inpatient program?

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by NothingThereAllAlong, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NothingThereAllAlong

NothingThereAllAlong Active Member

I too have tried and failed. What have your experiences been like in the psych ward at the hospital?

My experience was completely terrible.

I wish that I could get into a real psych hospital and go away for a while. What have people’s experiences been like going inpatient and away to the psych treatment hospital for say a six week or so span?

Like, seriously, what does it take to get in?

I’m so desperate, and nobody is picking up on my hints or me openly talking about it.

2. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

Re: What have your experiences been like in the psych ward or psych inpatient program

Well, I was in the psych ward for 10days i think it was, at least it felt like that.
    It was horrible, I wasnt offered any additional support, no therapy nothing, all i did was wonder around, or stay on my bed, in a shared room no less.
    And i was the youngest in there by about 15-20 years.
    All it did for me, was stop me from killing myself when the urge was at its greatest and i had a doable plan in place.
    and to get in, I had to be taken to my gp by i think 4 people, then my gp saw that i wasnt right, she sent me to A&E(ER) with a note saying i was to be seen straight away by a psych doc. I then had to go through everything, my suicidal ideations, my self harming, hallucinations, my various methods i had tried, had plan to do, and was going to do.
    And the only reason i told them all of this was because at first they sent a normal nurse into me to get a general gist of how i was feeling, and my mum was in the room, and i was half going into detail about how i felt, and be truthful about some things, like self harming and such, and my mum got so upset.
    as much as i have problems with her, my suicide was never to hurt anyone, it was to be free of the pain i felt, so because of her pain she showed from me being half honest i was totally truthful with the psych when he got there. But my mum wasnt in the room.

so it may not have given me the therapy and stuff i thought it would, but it did stop me from doing anything fatal

3. NothingThereAllAlong

NothingThereAllAlong Active Member

Re: What have your experiences been like in the psych ward or psych inpatient program

That sucks that it’s so hard to get into your psych ward. It’s almost too easy here to get put in the psych ward. I got put in when I wasn’t even suicidal. I just got put in because my eating disorder caused so much damage at the time, and they didn’t want me to go home and be alone (because I lived alone at the time; I still live alone).

I know people who just go to the ER here, and mention a drug problem or depression and bing bang they are in the psych ward. Any treat of cutting or anything like that will also get you into the psych ward here.

4. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

Nope, I went to one hospital here with cuts, and they sent me away saying i was fine.. Went to another after been found playing chicken(well i say chicken, it was more me running into traffic) in the main street of the capital by police, and they sent me home too.
    I was actually surprised that I got admitted when I did, I thought they'd just send me home yet again.

5. thrillseeker

thrillseeker Active Member

It was hell. No one came to visit me, except my narcissist parents who finally made it in even though I requested not seeing them right away. The ambulance drove me to a french speaking hospital (I'm in Canada)... and barely anyone spoke english. I didn't sleep for nearly all the 4 days I was there... I slipped in the shower and my stitches broke on one of my arms because I was still dizzy (they clued in that I lost a LOT of blood a few days after, go figure...). I tried hard not to bs my way out, but on the 4th day I got the green light to get the fuck out of there and I did. None of the other people there wanted to talk to me, once people found out why I was there they'd change their tone instantly, especially after seeing my wrists (fuck them). The staff was beyond rude, and treated us like inmates. If I didn't meet this dude named Philippe there, I would have definitely "escaped" during a smoke break and jumped in front of a bus up, I swear to god.... We were the same age and connected for whatever reason. He was once there for a similar reason as me (some chick that played with his head) ... he taught me some good bodybuilding techniques... we started chilling in the lounge and it was a riot. We really laughed hard and didn't give a fuck. Made fun of all the douches there in their faces (it was WELL deserved, believe me, and felt good to give it back to them)... He was let out of the place the day after. He almost looked like he worked there too, and seemed to know all of the staff (lol). Anyway, don't want to drag this mess of a post any longer, but you get my drift. FUCK that place.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2010
  6. alison

alison Well-Known Member

I wasn't in a psych inpatient program, but I was in a partial hospitalization program at a psych ward (I spent all day there, but slept at my parents house).

What did it take to get in there? I was taking large overdoses every night to get to sleep, and hoping one day maybe I wouldn't wake up. I was also throwing up several times a day (bulimia). It wasn't too difficult to get in, I had been semi-lying to my therapist, but one day I got mad at her and just told her everything.

I actually really enjoyed my stay there. I tihnk since I was PHP and they didn't think I was immediately at any risk (I managed to get off the drugs on my own prior to treatment, even though I had really bad withdrawals ughh) so I was treated with a lot more respect. I mean, they still did my vitals and blood tests and made me pee in a cup for drug testing, etc... but I had lots of freedoms. It was nice. Obviously parts of it were difficult, and there was a lot of hard therapy.. but I liked it alot.

7. stormfront

stormfront Member

I found it to be beneficial.

I went in because my suicidal ideation became more than I could handle. Truth be told, had I been on anxiety medication like I begged my family doctor, I'd be fine, but the panic attacks sent me into a depressive spiral that I couldn't tough my way out of. I went to the ER and was treated great by the staff. I was asked point blank if I felt suicidal, and not giving a definite answer, they had no other choice but to sent me to a psych ward (I think they called it a care facility at the time). This all happened on a Saturday morning. The day was a blur after that, I was picked up by an ambulatory service and driven to the ward and admitted. Sunday morning I was evaluated and told the doctor that my family doc wouldn't give me anxiety medication - she rolled her eyes and was like, "what do you need? If it worked, we'll give it to you", and I wound up on Klonopin which soothed my frayed nerves. I slept horrible that night, though, away from my family and in this place that had locked doors and constant supervision. My wife and brother visited me several times during my stay and I kept in constant phone contact with my kids and mom.

My experience is with anything in life: You get out of it what you put into it. If you want to eliminate depression, you actually have to work at it. The psych ward had tons of pamphlets and reading and lots of group therapy - but if you decide to stay in your room the entire time you're there, what good does that do? The therapists can only go so far, but its really up to the patient to do the leg work and actually alter their way of thinking. I was actually a model patient, I wanted out of there so bad, I'd do anything. My therapist there knew I shouldn't be there, the medication stopped the panic attacks and thus stopped the racing, suicidal thoughts. After a week I was discharged.

There were people there before me and would continue to stay after I left. One woman refused to leave her room for anything but dinner. She was completely catatonic; I don't know what could help her. My roommate attempted suicide because his ex wife left him and took the kids. Another guy next to me told me he was unemployed for over a year and it got to him. A woman was there because she was traumatized by someone jumping in front of her car in their own suicide (he was successful, and thanks to him she's now suicidal).

I'm a much better person now. I still have thoughts, but they're becoming less and less intrusive. I'm able to talk it out, work through it, and realize that I'm an important person to lots of people around me. I now take care of myself, run, eat right, get enough sleep, and watch my stress levels. If work gets too busy, I take a sick day. Something as small as walking the dog can do wonders; before I know it I'll meet a neighbor and we'll get talking and my mind is distracted off itself and I'm back to feeling good. I'll play Wii. Download a new app on the iPhone. Buy a new video game. Call my brother. Call my mom. Watch sports. Lots of things available now that I didn't have when I was a kid (I'm 47).

I'd go on, but I'm kinda tied up now doing some house repairs. Depression? Sorry, no time for that now!!

8. lessruth

lessruth New Member

I've been in 4 different psych wards in 2 continents, since I was 17 - so many times i can't count them.

The experience varied. And at first I was really angry that my parents allowed it and some other procedures.

I wanted to get out so much that I slapped a psychologist (not mine) cos she didn't let my go out the door. Of course then they tied me up in restraints and all. But that was a long time ago.

I think that psych wards and therapy and such can possibly be helpful. But I think you have to commit (not to suicide [bad joke :S]) but to making yourself get better and that's damn difficult if you're sick enough to want to kill yourself.

But after all these years of trying to run away, I've realised I have to face the problems I have and stop, stop. STOP. running away from life.

9. sinnssykdom

sinnssykdom Banned Member

My experience:

I've been twice. One was because of a mild accidental OD, another was because of a stupid counselor. Honestly neither times really helped.

Down in the ER the staff were really nice and caring and you could easily talk to them because of that. Whereas in the psych ward, that's a different story. The psych nurses were absolute COWS, and i am just straight out BITCHES! I mean don't get me wrong there were a FEW good/ok ones but you were assigned a nurse and of course i was always assigned a 'bad' one. I'm sure you could talk to a nurse that wasn't 'yours' but personally i just didn't want to hassle them you know? So i basically talked to no one.

Everyone was quite a bit older than me. In fact i was the youngest person there both times. It was sort annoying actually for a quite a few reasons. One being that everyone else had sort something uncommon some what being that they're close -ish in age. Where as myself at 17/18 years old in with the majority of people being 45+ it was just sort of awkward to be honest. There were a few people who were in their 20s who i socialized with a little bit. Another reason why i found it annoying being the youngest was because the staff felt for some reason that i was incapable of looking out fo rmyself. Being that i was/am a teenage girl they though that any guy i was talking to i had 'fling' with. I actually found it quite amusing to be honest.

Who has a relationship in a psych ward. lmao. Anyway So yes i did got blamed a few times for 'being too close' to certian people when in reality it was just because they were closest to my age so we had more in common. There was one guy who was sort of creepy and tried to get close but i kept my distance, i talked to him but i kept my distance. I even moved to a single chair if he tried to get close to me on the chair. Apparently the staff didn't see that though and they were ALWAYS giving me dirty looks and watching us. So ya after moving away a few times the guy got the hint and he kept his distance thankfully... I did actually make friends with another guy there though turns out his younger brother went to my old highschool with me and he was the same age as my sister and knew her. So ya we sort of basically just talked about teachers from the school and how much it had changed. ALso we basically bitched back and forth how much the ward sucks and how staff are cows and stuff. I also met this pretty chill dude he was like 35 and we basically talked about smoking dope and since the nurses had both given us ativan to sleep we bitched about how it fucked us up aha. There was also this older lady i dont know how old she would have been... maybe 60s... anyway she was pretty awesome she like swore about this one particular nurse which i thought was the biggest bitch of them all and apparently she did too so i had to sort of laugh at that. Those are about the only postive things i have to say about the place.

To be honest the place is mainly boring. Oh and if you ever check yourself in NEVER go on a weekend. If you have to go, go on sunday. Whatever you do though, don't go on a friday or saturday. You already sit around and do nothing through the week but atleast they talk about pointless shit and make you do primary crap, its useless but it passes the time. On the weekend though, your just sitting and doing nothing. It's pointless.

The people(patients) are ok. Most were older people, like above 45. Sure there were some younger people but the majority of the people were middle aged to elderly. Both times when i went there weren't that many 'weird' people. I mean ya you'll have someone who doesn't stop talking(manic) and few 'different' but not like really 'weird' people if you understand what i mean. I have never seen a 'take down' or violent person really but i have been told it has and does happen from time to time. I did hear over the loud speaker once a 'code white' which indicates a violent person but the person was already in seclusion(private room) so no one saw it. I think most of the people who go into seclusion aren't there because they were violent but because they refused meds.

Overrall i think i would have to say that it wasn't very helpful. I mean i did like the pdoc that they gave me thats one of the few things i have to say i actually liked about the place and the only reason why i would even consider going back but honestly i wouldn't go JUST for the doc. I think its mainly for people to get stabilized rather than actually help. I mean when i was there they gave out random packages on schizophrenia, i mean that's great if you are schizophrenia but i think there was only like one or two people there that actually were that i knew of. I think if they did it so if they had more groups and did things that actually helped then it could be better. I meant the one that i went to didnt even have a therapist that was part of nurses jobs if someone wanted to talk, you talk to them. The psychs were there to give meds i guess you could talk to them too but a lot of times they'd only pop in for like 5 minutes. There was a social worker to help make sure everyone had someone with them when going home and weren't living alone and what not. I actually don't really know what their role was bu they were there. And that's pretty much it. If you have any more questions let me know. I may add to this later...

10. cymbele

cymbele SF Supporter

I've been in twice.

The first time I was really suicidal and I couldn't get help. The thought was that since I couldn't get help on the otuside maybe I could get help if I had a hospitalization. I didn't learn anything. I did get help. I was better off than when I went in. Yes there was nothing happening but I got on the meds I needed.

I just got out from the second time. I got caught on forums like this one. They thought that b/c I was here (virtually speaking) that I have a plan. I do. I was given the choice to go in to a facility of my choice or be committed involuntarily.
    So I grit my teeth and made the appropiate responses so I could get out. I just talked with the pdoc once a day a nd for the rest of the day I did nothing.

So I am out, designated "safe" - with a plan.

11. Raphael1

Raphael1 Well-Known Member

You have to be pretty crazy. I had no trouble getting admitted because I was really ill. I tried to drown myself, was covered in mud. Hallucinated. I drunk wine to keep me grounded. I believed I was being monitored, and I stopped someone driving down the road and asked them where the devil was. When I went to the doctor I told him I was the doctor. He diagnosed me as Skitzophrenic/Psychosis. I went into the ambulance and was in lockdown at the hospital for around 6 weeks.

During that time I wouldn't eat. Then I ate too much. I thought I was in a maze with infinite doors. The boss of the hospital said I was never getting out. That made me even worse. I met other people that were just as crazy as me. I buried the remote to the tv because I thought it was giving me special messages. I asked one of the nurses if he was an apostle of christ. I kept asking the Chinese nurse for a Chinese word. She kept saying no. I pressed the security button for an emergency because I wanted someone to save me. Eventually they got rid of the button.

They started giving me ECT treatment. That's where they electrocute your brain. Every time they did it I thought they were going to operate on me cause they went into the operating room. That made me freak out.

I had a number of other delusions to numerous to mention. I thought I was in the matrix. Then I thought freddy cruger was after me. I saw demons and angels and believed there was a fight between them over me.

I would run towards the door trying to get out before the nurses locked it.
    I got locked in a room with just a mattress and a window.the only way I knew it was day or night was by looking out the window.

I put on layers and layers of clothing for padding to protect what I thought was a danger of getting beaten up. I kept changing my room around preparing for theft and worried about my belongings. I wondered into other peoples room not knowing what I was doing. They gave me lots of drugs. I carried books around that I thought were significant. I thought I could change reality. I called one of the nurses the queen of hearts and said mcdonalds was controlling me, and that I had to read all of the startrek series. I thought I had eternity with me and couldn't die. When some renovators came in to add a new room to the hospital I considered it a torture room they were setting up and this freaked me out when people looked at it like they were threatening me. I began to believe everything anyone said. I thought one girl was michael jackson in disguise. I tried to act as normal as possible to get out quickly. But the more I tried to act normal the more it seems things were crazy. I wrote on the walls which they painted over. It felt like I could read minds and they could read mine. I tried to confuse the nurses and they tried to confuse me. They also made up stuff about me to the court which wasn't true. That was quite scary.

much more happened but I will stop there for now.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2010
  12. Tavi6233

Tavi6233 Member

I've been in the psych ward multiple times, my insurance only covers 10 days, so that was all the hospital would keep me for. They really didn't care about the patients, only if they would get there money. Some hospitals weren't so bad, I made friends, we played games, had a good time talking, and we had great therapy classes. Others were horrible. I was bothered that they would put drug addiction patients with depression patients and expect us to get some benefit out of therapy that was designed for people suffering from alcohol/drug addiction. The food was horrible, I don't know about you guys, but when I'm hungry, I'm in a worse mood. The slightest thing you said or did would get you strapped to the bed with them saying that you are a danger to yourself. Then they would ask you "Well you have been here 10 days, if we discharge you today, will you be safe?", my answer is "No, I still feel like I want to kill myself", they go "Well you will be seeing your therapist in 3 days, we scheduled you an appointment, you can tell them", then they released me!

Eventually my insurance changed. At that point I had went on vacation to New York to stay with my aunt for a month. Well 2 weeks into it I overdosed and ended up in the state mental hospital there for 2 months. It was actually really good there for the most part. I am a self injurer, so they usually had someone staying with me all the time (one to one supervision). They didn't release me till they knew I would be safe.

All hospitals really vary. If you really want to get into one of those larger mental hospitals, maybe just go to the place and tell them that you are a threat to yourself, I know that is how alot of the state hospitals work.

13. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

IP is a complete joke. Been twice and staff is so desensitized to it all. They treat it like school detention or recess. They view MH patients like kids....completely demeaning.

14. Kemra

Kemra Well-Known Member

Been in a psych ward 5 times now over 3 years, longest stay was over 2 months. Last visit the nurses were actually happy to see me again, and one even told me I was a favorite patient because I'm so quiet..

Can't say I had any bad experiences in there, sure the whole being locked up part was a hassle (don't think I could handle jail at all) but other than that.. food was nice, nurses were friendly, met a bunch of people with similar ilnesses who I could relate to, was almost friends with. The doctors did suck a bit, arguing over my psychiatrists diagnoses and kept on telling me I was too much of a risk to myself to allow me to go out by myself. And the shock treatments on 2 visits kinda sucked with the headaches. But other than that I guess it wasn't a bad experience on any of the visits.

Oh, my last one was kind of a pain.. in there for a week for observation and tests before they put me on clozapine and the doctors wanted me to stay and have more ECT.. took me the entire week to talk my way out of that.

Honestly I belong back in there now.. but I know they're just gonna give me more ECT and probably make it another extended stay like my 2 month trip in..

Oh there was one god awful thing about the place, the worst damn thing I have ever come across anywhere, the occupational therapist, she was just creepy, Evil Dead 2 creepy. The youngest patient I ever saw in there was a 17 year old boy, by some coincidence the son of an old friend, yet that damn OT treated us all like we were 5 years old, finger-painting, 'Doctor Oscar' her dog, happiness classes, community meetings and a personality that made a children's show host look like a nobel prize winner. Like for god's sake we were suffering from disorders, depression, addictions, etc, not from brain death or late stages of alzheimers

15. lost1002

lost1002 Member

A quick question about these hospitals - if you don't have any money or insurance, what happens? Will they take you and treat you or do they turn you away? Sometimes I think I should check myself in somewhere, but I have no money or insurance, so I don't know if that's an option for me.

16. perfected

perfected Member

Like others, my experience was pretty awful. Some of the nurses weren't so bad, but all of the doctors were downright mean or passive aggressive.

Depends where you live... but in that situation, most state hospitals won't take you unless there's some sort of court order. FYI, most inpatient hospitals are for the rich. Everybody else has to just 'deal with it'. Think about it... most people without insurance or money can't even get outpatient therapy, let alone inpatient.

17. Monsieur

Monsieur Well-Known Member

Oh damn, this sounds frightening. I came very close to being locked up in one. I just don't know what to think if I was forced to be in one...

18. perfected

perfected Member

Again, most of the staff will treat you like a complainer. A lot of them think you're faking for attention, or that you're just an irrational subhuman. It's just a paycheck to them. Also, if you show any bitterness or anger at all, it will basically become jail. Restraints and all that. It really depends where you go though. The nicest staff and patients I met were at a military hospital, surprisingly. That was voluntary. It's the state hospitals that are the worst... also I live in an area of the country with good social services. So yours could be even worse than that!

The best help I got was being around other people with problems. It's amazing how many other people go through the same sort of thing... and experience the isolation involved when family and friends essentially reject you. It makes it somewhat more bearable when you find out that other people are being treated like a pariah for their problems.

19. lost1002

lost1002 Member

[QUOTE

Depends where you live... but in that situation, most state hospitals won't take you unless there's some sort of court order. FYI, most inpatient hospitals are for the rich. Everybody else has to just 'deal with it'. Think about it... most people without insurance or money can't even get outpatient therapy, let alone inpatient.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I suppose this shouldn't surprise me as this is the case with most things these days. Pisses me off, though! So many of us don't have the resources to get the help we need, so we're left to, as you say "deal with it." Not having the resources can many times be a contributing factor into this hell. It's just not frelling fair! (sigh)

20. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Yes, this is exactly how it is where I am and I've been on a psych ward only a few times, voluntarily. I get it 60% of the time "in the community" too and most of the trouble I've had was seeing people in isolation within an outpatient setting in a great amount of distress.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.