What help can I get - alcohol and smoking

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Loby, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loby

Loby New Member

I dont really know what help I can get that actually works for myself. I see so much bullshit on tv, what methods work for people?

I got two kids I need to start looking after :( I love them

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Try going to an AA meeting. I'm not sure where your from. But just type Alcoholics Anonymous and where you're from into google and I know something will come up :hug:
    Best of luck :heart:

3. Disappear

Disappear Well-Known Member

Try to discover the real reasons behind your drinking/smoking. what are you trying to numb yourself from?

4. Loby

Loby New Member

a lot!!!

5. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

I think the first step is realizing that it doesn't work because your feelings will only come back worse.

6. twc

twc Well-Known Member

Your free/low-cost alternatives are:

1) AA

Pro- they are pretty much everywhere
    Con- the style is somewhat like a religious cult

2) Rational Recovery

Pro- they are not evangelical like AA
    Con- very hard to find

3) Phone/email support, i.e. Samaritans

Pro- available, non-judgemental
    Con- may not specialize in alcohol/drugs

4) Local hospital/doctor

Pro- professional
    Con- may be very expensive if you don't have coverage

Just a few ideas.

7. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I'm a member of AA and I just recently quit smoking. Tackle the booze first and don't even thing about the smoking for a year. In the meantime, smoke outside. If the cost of smokes is an issue, I recommend nicotine gum at the 4mg strength. Also have regular gum between the nicotine gum. They cost a lot too but after a few weeks you'll start chewing less and less of them.

AA is very good and it is not a religious cult. AA stays out of religion because it takes away from the subject of alcohol. AA recommends a higher power of our own understanding and that is as far as it goes. Many athiests get sober and stay sober in AA.

Go to 90 meetings in 90 days if they are close by and available. Other wise, go as much as you can but at the very minimum 1 a week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.