What help is there for people like us

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by asvt, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asvt

asvt Well-Known Member

I recently tried to kill myself and the crisis team got in contact with me and all they could recommend is a change of medication and working at some crappy second hand furniture shop. I mean seriously is they anything that can genuinely help people like us i am seeing a therapist at the moment and am considering stopping it because it just doesn't help i feel worse after seeing her as it is a constant reminder of how pathetic and shitty my life is and that i don't want do exist. surely there has to be something.
  2. saddo

saddo New Member

I understand how you feel,my last port of call would be the crisis team.
    I guess we have to find some way to survive within ourselves,which sounds shit,if I knew a way to fix myself I would have done it already.
  3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

nobody else can do the hard work for you, sorry to be so direct. keep trying until you find the right combo of things that will work for you. once you learn what things will work for you then the real work begins. it ain't easy, it ain't pretty and it ain't for the faint-hearted.

some find meds help, some are against. i personally find that my anti-dep. works for me. distractions are one trick against suicide, that's prob. why they suggested volunteering, gets you out of the house for a bit, away from the endless neg. loops. with therapy i felt worse before it got better. i had a lifetime of pain, sorrow and betrayal to sort out. none of it was easy. felt like i was growing a new skin.

saddo, i believe you don't have to know how to fix yourself, you just have to be open to learning about and trying all the tricks and resources available until you find the ones that best suit you.

keep fighting,

4. Panther

Panther Well-Known Member

I hope there is something for you; I don't have any idea of your situation or what's happened in your life. Maybe the therapist is taking the wrong approach, I believe that there is a way out for anyone but different things work for different people. I have my doubts as to whether some of these so called professionals are properly trained, but maybe they've never been through anything really hard in life so may not even understand your pain that well.
  5. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

All my therapist does is sit there and take notes on what I say and supply non-useful advice at times..

My psychiatrist supplies non-working medication.

I really don't know why I bother.
  6. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

If you do not connect with your therapist, they might not be the right one for you. Sometimes it takes quite a bit of searching before you find the one you gel with. We would like things to happen quickly, but the reality is it doesn't. Healing takes a great deal of time. What takes seconds to destroy takes years to repair. Maybe working at the second hand shop is a way to get you out and doing something, sort of a distraction. I don't know your situation so I can't say what may be helpful. Please don't quit fighting. :hug:
  7. asvt

asvt Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies but i just feel at a loss as there is nothing to help me.
  8. nedflanders

nedflanders Well-Known Member

Indeed, it's pretty presumptuous of a bunch of strangers to think that they could fix our problems. I know it's against the SF ethos, but I agree with you, asvt, there isn't much reason to hope. Anyone who says different is a stranger giving you a throwaway line to make themselves feel better.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.