What Helps In A Crisis - How Do YOU Make It Through a Crisis?

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Freya, May 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

We have all been there; sitting in front of a computer searching for a way to make it through a crisis. For most of us, it is what brought us to SF - that desperate need to find SOME way of getting through the next hours, minutes, seconds.

What helps in a crisis? For all the people coming here desperate for "that thing" to get them through the next few minutes, lets crowd source some tips, ideas, advice for people currently in crisis.

How to hold on when you feel like you would do anything to "make it stop".

I will start:

I go to chat. The people here literally saved my life. Having people to talk to when it feels like the whole world is asleep saved me. Time and time again. My advice is come to chat - there are almost always people there to talk to.

Thank you, SF Chat, for being some of the most amazing people I have ever known :grouphug1:
  2. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Try reminding yourself of the other crises you have endured....and survived. You got through them. You will get through this one.
  3. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Good thread Freya.

Distractions help me in a crisis. Music, Films, TV all help to calm me down. Sometimes having a shower or going for a walk helps to clear my head. And of course as you said, coming into chat and getting lots of hugs is a big help :arms:
  4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Helping others helps me. It really is a starting point for me dealing with my own crisis.

The samaritans are just simply amazing, they now have a free phone number too and they are there 24/7 and will always listen no matter what is going on for you.

The chat here is amazing too, always people willing to listen to your battles and try and help you out of it. The support here is invaluable.
  5. GreySilence

GreySilence Well-Known Member

Here's why I'll never kill myself:

1) I promised myself I would never do anything crazy while my mental state was compromised.

Sometimes I'll be in a situation that's so bad that I think "I can't get through this, the only way out is to die", but then I will always recall this promise I made to myself. I am a very sensitive person, and if I didn't know how to control myself this way, I might already be dead if I had access to anything dangerous. When calm, you can think of reasons that life is worth it; But when you're in a state of panic and despair, those reasons will be nowhere in your head- no matter how hard you look. Understand this, and keep yourself safe.

2) I look towards the future in an optimistic way, even if things aren't going well.

You might be at rock bottom, but as long as you don't kill yourself, there's a chance that things can get better. Cling onto that hope and it can motivate you to keep on struggling through the tough times. There's no guarantee for a happy future, but it's certainly better to have that chance rather than nothing.

3) My death will impact others negatively.

Everyone has someone that cares for them at least a bit. One person's suicide can cause people that loved them to turn suicidal as well. It could be a catastrophic chain reaction of depression, and it will all be on yourself. You're better than that, to selfishly end your life and cause everyone who cares about you to cry. Being alive, you could also help people out along the way. Hell, if I had killed myself, I wouldn't be writing this, would I?

4) There are things that I enjoy in this world.

You've probably had times where you were enjoying yourself thoroughly, and thought to yourself: "If I ended my life earlier, then I wouldn't have been able to experience something as great as this". You love something; During depression, it's hard to think of the good things, as we often take them for granted, but those things are there, even if they are overshadowed by the bad things. If for some reason you don't have any interests, you could find them if you went and experienced some other things. The world is massive, there's something for everyone in it.

5) Bad things make good things better.

It's about contrast. Say you go for a long time eating bitter foods, and don't touch anything sweet for that duration. If you were to have a candy after that, it would be incredibly sweet, it would shock your taste buds and might be almost overwhelming. Same goes for pain and sadness, when something good finally happens after a lot of suffering, it feels really damn good. I'm thankful that I can experience such bliss, and it's only possible because of what I've been through. And the more you've been through, the tougher you'll get, and the harder it will be to break you! Always try to look for the good in things instead of only noticing the bad parts.

6) Death is scary.

Is it simply to have your consciousness cease to exist? Is there an afterlife? Will I be reincarnated? What if after reincarnation, I end up in the same situation I was in pre-death? Will I suffer eternally in hell for killing myself? Does heaven even exist? Will heaven be similar to earth? Will I become a ghost? Will I become trapped in darkness, remaining conscious and not being able to escape your own thoughts? It's all shrouded in uncertainty. Personally, I'd rather put death off as long as possible. There's no rush, we all die in the end anyway; Might as well experience being alive while we still can.

Hope I managed to help, even if just a little.
    Best of luck guys! Find your happiness, never give up.
    Feel free to message me ^^
  6. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I just keep distracting myself the best way I can, to keep my mind off my feelings and not give in to them. I have to remind myself that even though I have nothing to live for now, that may not always be the case.
  7. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

When I am having one of those long, horrible nights of just pure distress and mental chaos, there are a few things that help me through.

One of the first things I do is run a bath and I keep lavender oil for these occasions because I do find it quite relaxing and it has the ability to calm me down. It really does help. This alone doesn't always help much, but when I get out of the bath I get myself into clean pyjamas and make myself a cup of hot chocolate and put a soothing film on. This does help calm down the racing thoughts and provide you with a little comfort and distraction.

One of the second things I do is keeping myself occupied. This can be particularly difficult for me because if I am in a manic/mixed/psychotic state my concentration is all over the place as my thoughts are running at a million miles per hour. However, I try to keep my focus on one thing at a time, such as playing a game which requires me to focus on it. Games like bejewelled and solitaire are especially good for this because it does require you to think about what you are doing, which does shift some of the focus off the million thoughts I am having and does slow them down a little.

Sometimes when I just feel utter hopelessness and despair, I can't always articulate well what I am feeling and what is happening, which makes me more and more agitated and frustrated. So what I sometimes do is just write. I write and write and write until all the shit that has built up inside me has come out. It never makes any sense whatsoever if I ever read it back, but I try not to. I just write, then I delete it. Sometimes I write short stories and poetry when I can articulate myself and not too agitated and this also helps. I also like reading those stories and poems back at a time when I am well because I can see how far I have come from that low point.

Sometimes when I have a lot of excess energy, racing thoughts and I am agitated going for a walk at night helps. The dark has a calming effect on me, as does the fresh air. I tend to go out like a bull in a china shop, but after a while, once I've burnt off some of that energy I begin to calm down a little.

I also come to this forum when I am in crisis. I tend to write posts on the forum or talk to the wonderful people in chat. This forum has got me through countless crises, and I can't thank this site enough.

I would like to try and get into more activities that are a bit more therapeutic, like colouring and crafts. I know colouring sounds babyish but it has a very therapeutic effect, and if you buy adult colouring books/art therapy books then it is less babyish. My fiancé has one, and I would really like to get one just in case I ever need to calm myself down in a crisis.
  8. cymbele

cymbele SF Supporter

I do the one day at a time thing. Although I have gotten most of the ingrediants to my method I always plan for a date in the future. Then I go one day at a time. fortunately haven't gotten to the end date while feeling bad.

Times I have gone to chat no one really chats. So I stopped using Chat.
  9. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

finding myself ways to get sleepy and tired helps when I'm starting to get agitated.
  10. hide

hide Member

That big issue , I am glad that here I have been able to help , I'm new , and I do not go for help , I'm looking for people who want to be helped , I'm not a psychiatrist or doctor, I'm just a person who came forward without having someone to listen to him , because I want to feel some people here someone to listen , but my native language is not English , I try to translate with the help of a translator , but hey, I just want to help , and if you ever want to talk to someone, I'll be here .
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.