What helps you?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Depressing.realityy, Sep 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Depressing.realityy

Depressing.realityy New Member

I'm trying my hardest today and I've been having lots of stress. What helps you to relax and get rid of your bad thoughts?

2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Spending time with my nephew is one thing that helps me big time. I can't ever be in a bad mood around him :) I also talk to people, especially on here, when I am dealing with something tough. They help immensely and I know they get it. Some hobbies that I have that help me are watching movies, reading, listening to music, writing, and spending time outside. I am sorry to hear you have been so stressed. Hope you will find something to ease the bad feelings.

3. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Taking a bath, go excerise or work out a sweat helps me

4. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi, I relieve stress by going for a long walk and exercising when possible. There many ways in releasing stress but you find something that is suitable for you. Please keep posting as we can help you. I also suggest that you do a search on the old posts for any historical advice. Take care my friend.

5. Yan12

Yan12 Member

Hi :) listen to some good music..watch some comedy movies. .or go out..take care of yourself

6. afterlifepig

afterlifepig Well-Known Member

drink lots of coffee and try to learn new math. math is great, math is like D&D - it's creativity available for anyone to practice. i want to be a programmer so i figure familiarizing myself with as much math as possible is synergistic with my chosen vocation but it is available to anyone

7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Lots of different things, medication, music, meditation are the main things I use that helps me. Talk here always helps tons too.

8. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Action.

The only thing I have ever found actually helped a situation is doing something. Maybe listen to music or or relax or other distractors to take mind off the really bad momentarily- but to the question of what helps me nothing but taking action on my part to make changes needed to keep the situation from repeating itself every day or week. Ultimately until you take action and make changes the things that are causing problems in your life will continue to do so. The only way to get rid of bad thoughts is to make changes otherwise they will always come back.

2 people like this.
  9. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Helping others in crisis. Sharing my daily struggle and asking a difference to soneone's life. When I go the fairground in the sky (naturally of course) I know that my life has made a difference.

10. lost81

lost81 Staff Alumni

Getting some retinue finally in to my life and facing some of my fears.

For many years I barely left the house unless it was to get completely off my head on drink and what not, thought that I'd never be able to work again, would never be in a relationship again, was too ashamed of my appearance that I developed an inability to look anyone in the eye and my head was constantly filled with the noise of negative thoughts and self doubt that all I wanted to do was run away and hide making social interactions virtually impossible.

Very recently though I was told I had to take part in an unpaid work scheme for 26 weeks due to me being out of work for nearly 3 years which I was absolutely dreading. Then as the first day approached, fight or flight mode engaged and I battled with myself to try and maintain some form of control and go. The first day I was a absolute wreck but after that I gradually gained some confidence back and after a week there I was able to apply for an actual paid job which I got and started the following week.

I still have major issues with confidence and stuff and spend most breaks sitting on my own but at same time I am slowly starting to engage with people there and have met some cool people (one of which even have had a drink with down the pub at weekend), which a month ago I'd of never of dreamed any of which was even possible, even then the negative thoughts and anxiety are dissipating somewhat.

Also when all else fails...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2015
  11. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Great example and great courage of taking control and making things happen when got tired of having no control over own thoughts and feelings... very impressive and inspiring.

12. JustKindaThere

JustKindaThere Well-Known Member

13. Aphorism

Aphorism Well-Known Member

Drinking coffee, taking unnecessary naps, listening to my favorite albums, writing, and sometimes reading. Anxiety is hard to over come, though, because thoughts can be too overwhelming...

14. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I agree that the anxiety can be overwhelming, here is a GREAT free meditation guide http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22&oTopID=22

Hope you are feeling a little better now :)

15. Piehawker

Piehawker Member

I love making films, purpose, drive, surrounded by people with similar interests.

I also like rock climbing, but I went yesterday after a really rough weekend, but when I got there, and felt totally invisible. There's an upstairs climbing wall with loads of ropes that no one goes to. <mod edit - guidelines>

I decided to go back down to the busier area, still felt invisible so I thought it best if I left... but normally it works to make me feel better.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2015
  16. PoshInsomniac

PoshInsomniac Well-Known Member

Lighting up a cigarette and solving some math problems works for me.

17. DatAlgorithm

DatAlgorithm Well-Known Member

Personally? George Carlin or Bill Hicks rants help me a lot.

18. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.