What if suicide is neither right nor a right? (pls read the 1st thread, thanks)

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by novecento, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. novecento

novecento Member

Before you answer, do you want to take ten minutes of your time to listen to, in this order: "Opening/Glassworks" by Philip Glass and "Going the distance" by Bill Conti. Bipolarity in music, if you want. What do you think? Is suicide right, and a right? As an aftertought, man's darkest hour was the invention of the question mark.
  2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I just listened to Philip Glass...his music is wonderful...thank you for suggesting this...I never would have found him without you sharing...J
  3. damage.case

damage.case Well-Known Member

Here in America suicide is not a right. In fact, if a doctor thinks your 80% likely to kill yourself you'll be involuntarily held in a psych hospital. On the other hand, if a doctor thinks your 99.99999999999% likely to go on a murder rampage they can't do shit.
  4. protomoonzero

protomoonzero Member

Is suicide a right? Absolutly. In a society that claims to let people be free and decide over their own life, they sure got a weird stance on suicide.
    Where I live you get shipped to a psych. ward if you're a danger to yourself. However, if you are an alcoholic and are a danger to nobody but yourself they don't do anything. You have to admit yourself to get help.

Is suicide right? No probably not. But some people feel that there is no other way to stop hurting.
  5. CatherineC

CatherineC Staff Alumni

I believe that suicide is a right - but only if you're in your 'right mind' when you make the decision. Which probably rules the majority of us out.
  6. thoso

thoso Member

I would also say that it's a human right. If we have the right to chose life over death, the opposite must also be valid - if not, we don't really have a 'choice' at all.

Suicide is unfortunately by many, perceived as disgraceful and as the ultimate defeat no matter the reasons behind the act.

But when you think about it, the millions of people dying each year from being overweigth, smoking or other various abuses, also commits some sort of suicide. They live a life knowing that their lifestyle can kill them although slowly, but nevertheless continues to do so.
  7. protomoonzero

protomoonzero Member

Yes, but such acts are often seen as "living life to the fullest". However, suicide is seen as giving up.
  8. codkid

codkid Member

1) Philip Glass is awesome, one of the best of our time. I especially like his work from the movie "The Hours"
    2) I think suicide is an inherent human right. If someone has the will to do it, it is entirely their choice and no one elses.
    3) Is suicide right? Generally speaking I'd say no simply because of this fact: The whole reason for our existence is to continue our existence. That's why we have the ability to procreate. If suicide were right, wouldn't nature have made it so that we would kill ourselves off instead of providing people with the means to procreate? Isn't that what DNA is for? Isn't that what people get jobs for? So they can put food on the table and pay for rent and survive? So I'd definitely say suicide isn't right.

PS - opening from glassworks sounds wonderful and going the distance is just a classic.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.