• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

What if there's only pain after death?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scytaic

SF Supporter
I don't really believe in a specific religion or really even believe in God. I do believe in demons/ghosts/whatever they are from my own experiences though. I don't know if they are just a different species but sometimes I worry that they're the energy of a person who has passed. And that makes me worry, what if, if we die in pain, we become that painful energy? Forever and ever? And maybe this is a stupid fear but what if the whole of us dies except our awareness and pain? I guess my biggest fear is that even in death, we might not be free of pain and that scares me. Sorry if it offends or sounds stupid to anyone, I just wanted to get my thoughts out there because I don't know who else to talk to about these worries.

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
what if the whole of us dies except our awareness and pain?
If awareness continues after the death of the body, I don't see any reason to assume that it changes much by the mere fact of physical death. I don't believe that suffering is permanent though, but rather than worrying about the next life or lives it's better to focus on the only life we know about, and to try to overcome the causes of misery here and now. If we get that right, the future will take care of itself.

WaterUnder

Transient SF'er on hiatus
SF Supporter
from my own experiences
I've experienced some strange things as well. And I've been down a few different spiritual paths. I can tell you that I don't know what they are (although I came across one that tried to take over my friend's body) and am no longer open to such experiences and therefore experience them less.

I don't worry much about if we will manifest pain (or fear or confusion) in death. Que sera, sera. Yet, if it were to be possible, I would like my last moments of life facing death to be those experienced in a state of peaceful awareness. It's because of that, that I try to live a helpful and generous life, so that despite my many mistakes and their grievous repercussions, that I can die while being present in the moment, without regret of how I expressed my humanity. Never mind that I miss the mark often.

The people I have met who believe themselves to be the most enlightened seem not to be. That you are sensitive in this area, I think is to your advantage. Try not to focus on the fear of pain, but on the quality of how you live.

LonelyHiker

Waitering for Godot
I'm an atheist and don't believe in ghosts, demons, angels, or any sort of "supernatural" phenomenon/being.

I don't remember not being here prior to birth, and I suspect it will the same after my death.

full

SF Supporter
Beliefs are that way, what we feed it grows. Personally, I am not even sure we can die in a sense nothing is after body goes, yet I am not worried what comes after, just as long as I am able to be fully present during the transition or whatever that would be. What has got you leaning towards believing in demons and ghosts vs. God?

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
personally I believe in god but not religion. if you believe in demons then the flipside of god must also be true. and ghosts may be beings that have unfinished business and until they let go they remain a ghost, that's my opinion. and I don't think we carry our pain over, unless we go to a real warm place lol. and @Lara_C is right, try to deal with your issues so you can concentrate on having a good life now. mike

Scytaic

SF Supporter
Thanks everyone I think I'm more reassured now. I guess it's just an irrational fear that I get sometimes because I'm in a lot of pain (physically and because of that, emotionally too) I can't help worrying that even death wouldn't end it but I know it doesn't make sense at all, I think the pain is just getting to me too much.

I'm an atheist and don't believe in ghosts, demons, angels, or any sort of "supernatural" phenomenon/being.

I don't remember not being here prior to birth, and I suspect it will the same after my death.
I like this point, about it just being the same as before birth.:)

Do you feel like talking about your experiences?
I have a lot of experiences, too many to write the details of here haha, but I'm actually starting to write them all down now and hoping to maybe send it to some magazine or YouTube channel so if that ever happens I'll post a link here if I remember to lol! :) But me and my family grew up with random hauntings, there would be a period of a month or so every year where a lot of things would happen and then usually stay quiet until the next year. Most things were minor but here's a few things I can think of right now,: lights purposely turning on and off seconds a part repeatedly (if that makes sense), noises: voices (usually of my family members when I was home alone), laughing, walking, running, rummaging. Things moving within seconds, scratches, something horrible happened to my pet (don't think I wanna talk about it in detail though), answering questions (in a way - hard to explain), doors unlocking, orbs, then there's full on creepy things like my mum (and my cats lol) seeing a black figure float across the bathroom, my nan being pushed down the stairs, doors slamming, faces, something even floating and then dropping and smashing everywhere. I say it in past tense but we still get it every year, just not at this moment. We don't get help for it because my mum doesn't believe it'll work, she believes exorcisms are satanic lol (she's a Christian but their specific religion doesn't do that stuff). Sorry this is long but thought you might be interested lol :)

Beliefs are that way, what we feed it grows. Personally, I am not even sure we can die in a sense nothing is after body goes, yet I am not worried what comes after, just as long as I am able to be fully present during the transition or whatever that would be. What has got you leaning towards believing in demons and ghosts vs. God?
I lean to believing in demons (and maybe ghosts - but that's just a fear mostly because of the whole pain thing) because I've had experiences with them, but I don't really believe in God because I've never had any experience or obvious proof like I have with demons.

personally I believe in god but not religion. if you believe in demons then the flipside of god must also be true. and ghosts may be beings that have unfinished business and until they let go they remain a ghost, that's my opinion. and I don't think we carry our pain over, unless we go to a real warm place lol. and @Lara_C is right, try to deal with your issues so you can concentrate on having a good life now. mike
My solution to believing demons but not God was that maybe demons are actually just creatures like us and animals but they're just very different lol or maybe that they're energy, or energy creatures? Haha, just some theories, I don't think about it too much I just go by what I experience. :)

Thank you again everyone, I like your advice, they're good points and I feel less worried now. :) (sorry for the extremely long post!)

what if, if we die in pain, we become that painful energy?
I don't know what happens exactly.

There's some advice on dying that I've heard from a religious perspective, but I think it also makes sense on a secular level. You can prepare for the moment of your death by doing good things during your life. Then you can think about your good deeds while you are dying.

I think the Tibetans think this will help you get a good reincarnation. I guess even if you don't believe in that, thinking about good things that you've done would probably be pleasant and comforting.

Winslow

Antiquitie's Friend
SF Supporter
I do believe in demons/ghosts/whatever they are from my own experiences though. I don't know if they are just a different species
If it's the Christian belief, then yes, demons are a different species. But since you are not a Christian at all, then I don't know.

MosesY

Functioning Alcoholic
I was raised Amish which is a very conservative Christian religion. Raised to believe in hell, demons, satan, God, etc. and very severely brainwashed. Imagine a young child being told "If you don't believe the right thing and be a good person you will burn in hell for eternity." Naturally you try to believe the right thing. I have a psychosis now and am on meds for it because of these things. I've learned to focus on today and try to make the day as good as I can.

Scytaic

SF Supporter
There's some advice on dying that I've heard from a religious perspective, but I think it also makes sense on a secular level. You can prepare for the moment of your death by doing good things during your life. Then you can think about your good deeds while you are dying.

I think the Tibetans think this will help you get a good reincarnation. I guess even if you don't believe in that, thinking about good things that you've done would probably be pleasant and comforting.
I really love this idea!

I was raised Amish which is a very conservative Christian religion. Raised to believe in hell, demons, satan, God, etc. and very severely brainwashed. Imagine a young child being told "If you don't believe the right thing and be a good person you will burn in hell for eternity." Naturally you try to believe the right thing. I have a psychosis now and am on meds for it because of these things. I've learned to focus on today and try to make the day as good as I can.
Wow that's scary, I can sort of understand, the religion I was raised in was strict too and although they didn't believe in hell, they used guilt A LOT. They also have a rule where you can't associate with anyone who has left (either willing or by disfellowship) the religion, even your own family. They picture anyone outside of the religion is selfish evil people. So as a kid that's pretty terrifying to think anything you do wrong could take your family away and you'll be classed as disgusting. I can't imagine how much scarier it would be to believe in hell though. I'm not surprised it's given you psychosis, it's pretty traumatizing to be raised in these kind of things. :( *hug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$185.00
Goal
$255.00