what if you don't trust anyone?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by alishiainsane, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alishiainsane

alishiainsane Member

all of these articles about suicide help and depression or self harm say that "if you experience any of these thoughts or actions please talk to someone you look up to or trust" ......well what if you dont look up to anyone?....what if you dont trust anyone? what then? .......:unsure:

2. Emotional

Emotional New Member

I really don't know. That's why I joined this site. At least I can say "I'd rather be dead, than in this much pain." without being judged, or talked about behind my back.

3. morgan

morgan Well-Known Member

I agree with Emotional. I know that I personally am here because I could never say "I feel depressed" to my friends or family without getting laughed at.
    I feel (emotionally) safe with everyone I've talked to on this site and hopefully you do to :)

4. plates

plates Well-Known Member

that's a good question. do you feel trust is something that has to be earned? i do. so- pretty much what i've done is try and work with therapists and get some understanding going on there for some period of time.

i'm not sure if that is helpful..when it comes to safety/trust a good therapist will understand why this is an issue for you and respect your space.

5. gakky1

gakky1 Well-Known Member

Ditto, thanks for putting alot of my thoughts together,:biggrin: I have yet to find anyone I can trust or express any of my thoughts/problems too, that includes all the multiple doctors I've seen.:dry:

6. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this!!!!!!!!!!! BINGO! I told that to the national suicide foundation.....they just tell suicidal people to pick up the phone and dial away. But yeah, what if you don't trust ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!! I am there with you....I don't like people at this point and they sure have failed as human beings.....

7. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

Trust is something which needs to be earned, and this is something I feel that these hotlines and some doctors and therapists don't really understand. Most therapists know all the theory about trust, and getting their clients to trust them, but few have ever been in a position when they were required to trust a complete stranger with, let's face it, their life. Same goes for the hotlines; their staff have rarely been on our side of things (some have, and credit goes to them), so they cannot imagine how difficult it is to admit our secrets to them.

As for family and friends, trust becomes a different thing, because by talking to them about our problems we are also asking for their acceptance, which we usually don't require from a therapist or hotline. I have friends who I could trust to keep my secrets, but I couldn't trust them to help me with my problems. It's taken ten months to trust my counsellor enough to talk openly about my problems, and even then I can't entirely trust him.

So I guess the answer is that I don't know. Although trust needs to be earned, maybe by talking to someone when you're in crisis will earn their trust. I know that if someone I didn't know well came to me in crisis, they could trust me, so maybe you need to find that faith and trust to hope.

Mim

8. plates

plates Well-Known Member

yes, i relate to the two posts above. this is why going to talk to emergency services can be such a risk when i meet the wrong people.

9. Twinkle ☆ Twinkle

Twinkle ☆ Twinkle Well-Known Member

I've felt like I can't really trust anyone too. And I agree that trust is something that has to be earned however, sometimes blurting things out to a stranger who says they care even though they might not, and I mighit not trust them help.

After all if they are a stranger I can just walk away and act like nothing ever happened.

It can be a really hard thing to learn to trust so I'm not sure what to tell you.

I've had some difficult with trust myself, and sometimes it's as if the closer I become to someone the less I feel I can trust them. Perhaps, this comes from the fear of feeling humiliated, rejected, or misunderstood in front someone close to you.

10. Charlie Milles

Charlie Milles Well-Known Member

Meh, fuck people. Trust yourself.

11. yous

yous Well-Known Member

I can't even trust myself. But I'm with ya' on this one. I don't trust anyone. Once you let just a small guard down, the hurt you, take advantage, abuse, use you, the list goes on and on. So don't trust anyone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.