What if your past cripples you

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Jemm, Nov 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jemm

Jemm Well-Known Member

I think, no I'm sure the wretched memories of days gone utterly and painfully wrong are inhibiting me from moving. It was ok for a while, but what happens when the socially accepted period to grieve/wallow/waste away passes? What happens when all those memories become a place of security, a place where you hide? I don't know how not to be afraid of living again...nor do I know how to admit that to myself or my loved ones...
  2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Many things can happens once you have reached that point - the thing important to consider when you are in that place is that socially accepted or expected are averages and averages are made up from both the long and the short times. If you believe yourself it has been too long then it is time to get help. We can give you a place to find support and advice here, but sometimes professional therapy or medications are really called for. Something to consider to assist you at the very least, particularly therapy if it past events giving you difficulties.

Take Care and Be Safe

3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Although society does seem to pose limits/timelines on how long one should grieve, grief doesn't just up and go because x number of months/years have passed. Grief takes its own time with everyone and everyone is different. Nothing is like it was before our loss/hurt, yet somehow over time we seem to build a new safe different world for ourselves again. If you are stuck and not able to move forward from where you are because you hurt so much, there are grief support groups and grief counsellors who might be able to offer you some support and ideas. Just remember, society's timelines might not mesh with your needs, so go with your needs. :hug:
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

As said hun everyone one is different and we all heal at our own pace, I too think talking to someone hun will help you get unstuck and help you move forward hugs
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.