What inspired you or motivated you to lose weight?

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hello SF's that want to or have lost weight. I'm wondering what was the moment you decided ''enough is enough I need to lose weight'' mine was most definitely when I was trying to fasten my seat belt on a plane and the seat belt didn't fit and I had to use an extender...I was humiliated, wanted the ground to swallow me up.

Came back from my holiday, joined a gym lost a good bit of weight, the diet was too strict and I ended up putting it all back on.

But as from the 30th of November I am on a healthy eating lifestyle, not going by numbers but by healthy foods and health in general.

I'd like to hear why you want to lose weight/why you did lose weight/why you tried to lose weight?

Inspire me :D

AJC88

I started an office job maybe four years ago. I’m still working for the same company now. Being constantly sat down, eating shit food, drinking too much. I was constantly gaining weight.

I then saw an old photo of myself when I was younger. I couldn’t believe how much I’ve physically changed. I was lean, active and healthy. This photo galvanised me to get up off my arse.

I’ve cut down on my drinking, I’ve cut out fast food completely. I’ve never been able to cook. So I’m trying to learn. I’ve managed to cook a few healthy sorta edible meals. I’m finding it difficult to get into a exercise routine though. I’ll keep trying.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I was a bridesmaid at my friends wedding two and a half years ago. I knew I had put weight on over the last few years but it wasn't until I saw myself in the wedding photos I realised how much. I looked like Ursula the sea witch from the Little Mermaid!

I joined LighterLife and lost 62lbs in 5 months. I really shouldn't have stopped when I did as I really wanted to lose another 28lbs. My weight has fluctuated a little since then depending on my mood - when things get bad I stop eating, the only good side effect of depression ;)

MarkahMalady

I had to buy size 20 jeans, couldn't flatten my stomach even sucking it in, I was getting a bit of that awful lower belly flab that kinda was starting to sag down. Ugh. I was almost 300lbs at one point.
Oh and I wanted to upgrade my shitty, loser boyfriend.

cvb2377

Well I was never thin, people told me it was baby fat so I always convinced myself when I was younger that my matabolism would kick in during puberty and I’d get thin but that obviously never happened. So now at 23 I went on my yearly vacation to Disney world in September and for the first time i was almost to fat to get on some of the rides. So I decided to change. It Also didn’t help that since i turned 21 a couple years ago I became a avid beer drinker. that most likely helped tip the scales. I’ve made amazing progress in 3 months and I can safely thank my own dedication. Looking forward to 2018 and a new slimmer me

Sassy Cat

SF hugger
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Well I am always on a diet or looking for something to help. I have been super skinny once in my life due to exercising 3 hours a day didn’t drink at the time either met my ex and the weight slowly came back on. Now I diet up and down always wanting it to be lower. I think half my problem is not eating enough food and the right kind. But I have never liked my body except when at my thinnest and that weight is never happening again lol

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
What inspired me to lose weight was feeling like shit, combined with a diagnosis of diabetes. I lost a lot of weight but I'm still the same reckless type 2 I was before. Now I know how to manage my recklessness.

Witty_Sarcasm

🦄🦜🧁🌈🌝💖
SF Supporter
I can't even walk up a few small flights of stairs without getting winded and my heart racing. I'm too young to be that out of shape, so it's high time to change that around.

gypsylee

SF Supporter
What inspired me to lose weight was feeling like shit, combined with a diagnosis of diabetes. I lost a lot of weight but I'm still the same reckless type 2 I was before. Now I know how to manage my recklessness.
Ha.. Type 2 here also, but so bad it needs insulin shots. Pancreatic Necrosis (alcohol-induced) in my 30s. Combine that with endless dental problems and food tends to take a back seat. Throw in some other “unmentionables” and there goes 10kg. I can’t say it looks bad but my mother is having a field day with comments about being too thin. According to her I’m anorexic, because she’s just OH SO insightful about emotional problems o_O

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
Initially, it was feeling like shit. But the only thing that ever motivated me to actually keep doing it was knowing it was working.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I can't even walk up a few small flights of stairs without getting winded and my heart racing. I'm too young to be that out of shape, so it's high time to change that around.
I'm the exact same, breathless walking up the stairs, we are both way too young to be feeling this way. Maybe start a diet diary yourself? It could help.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Well I was never thin, people told me it was baby fat so I always convinced myself when I was younger that my matabolism would kick in during puberty and I’d get thin but that obviously never happened. So now at 23 I went on my yearly vacation to Disney world in September and for the first time i was almost to fat to get on some of the rides. So I decided to change. It Also didn’t help that since i turned 21 a couple years ago I became a avid beer drinker. that most likely helped tip the scales. I’ve made amazing progress in 3 months and I can safely thank my own dedication. Looking forward to 2018 and a new slimmer me
Ooooh your story is interesting @cvb2377 would you like to share more with me on your 3 month progress, I would love to hear it either here if if you're not comfortable sharing it here you can drop me a PM, seems like I could get a few tips from you I hope. Well frigging done on your dedication, that is what I love to hear :) Success stories.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I was a bridesmaid at my friends wedding two and a half years ago. I knew I had put weight on over the last few years but it wasn't until I saw myself in the wedding photos I realised how much. I looked like Ursula the sea witch from the Little Mermaid!

I joined LighterLife and lost 62lbs in 5 months. I really shouldn't have stopped when I did as I really wanted to lose another 28lbs. My weight has fluctuated a little since then depending on my mood - when things get bad I stop eating, the only good side effect of depression ;)
So sorry, I did not see this reply until now. 62lbs in 5 months sounds dangerous or im uneducated on it, perhaps? Well done though, it is tough going, I applaud your dedication. What does lighterlife do? A slimming group? Don't think I have heard of that one before. I'd be more than happy to hear your story :)

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
LighterLife is a meal replacement program and diet club. Not sure if it is only UK based..
You attend weekly group meetings and follow one of their two diet plans. The 'Total' plan is where you only eat the food packs sold at the group. The food packs consist of shakes, soups, cereal bars and main meals. Each pack contains between 120 and 150 calories each and you have 4 packs a day - nothing else other than water, tea or coffee. The 'Lite' plan is where you have 3 or 4 food packs per day plus a small home made meal from their list of approved ingredients.

Unlike other slimming clubs I where you sit around discussing food and calorie content the group sessions here are CBT based, looking at our feelings around food rather than the food itself. It has changed my attitude towards food, I comfort eat far less than I used to. When I do fall off the wagon now (which I do very frequently!), I don't think "oh, I've blown it for the day now so I might as well go to the bakery and eat cake for the rest of the day". I enjoy my slip ups but don't let them last all day.

I'd always been really scornful of this type of diet but I needed to try something totally different. I found the strictness of the Total plan easy to stick to (although the first few days were really tough) as I'm a big cheater on other diets where you have to weigh things out. Also seeing such quick results kept me motivated to keep going (I've never been known for my patience!). I did speak to my GP before I started and she was happy for me to give it a go.

I tried going back on it last year to lose another couple of stone but the food packs make me gag now! They're not the most appetising of things - think of a jar of baby food and you're nearly there...

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Sounds quite strict but if your doctor approved of it I guess all is good. You must feel a million dollars after losing all that weight. I would not try anything as extreme as that though as I would be scared of health complications and because I have done strict diets in the past and I have always regained the weight. I think though if it works for you good on you for the motivation and dedication you have, you must be very proud. No jars of baby food for me, I need real food lol

Well done, im proud of you :)

cvb2377

Ooooh your story is interesting @cvb2377 would you like to share more with me on your 3 month progress, I would love to hear it either here if if you're not comfortable sharing it here you can drop me a PM, seems like I could get a few tips from you I hope. Well frigging done on your dedication, that is what I love to hear :) Success stories.
Well
I’m still keeping up my workouts and while I’m not as solid on my diet as I want to be, I’m still keeping on a decent track with my weight. I had to double down on my fitness because basically throughout the entire month of December I didn’t lose a single pound because of all that holiday eating. ( at least I didn’t gain any lol) I’ve started boosting up my cardio, doing 3+ miles at the gym or if I can’t make it there doing 50 - 65 minuets of workout videos at home. I even walk around the neighborhood some days until I hit 2 miles. Since I got a Fitbit I try to as of January burn 850-1000 calories when I workout. I haven’t weighed myself in almost a week (because I restrain myself to doing so only once a week) but the last time I did I was 260 pounds. A huge difference from my 307 pound beginning weight. I also started taking Hydroxycut. It gives me a bunch of energy to workout but we will have to see if it actually helps with weight loss or not

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I’m still keeping up my workouts and while I’m not as solid on my diet as I want to be, I’m still keeping on a decent track with my weight. I had to double down on my fitness because basically throughout the entire month of December I didn’t lose a single pound because of all that holiday eating. ( at least I didn’t gain any lol) I’ve started boosting up my cardio, doing 3+ miles at the gym or if I can’t make it there doing 50 - 65 minuets of workout videos at home. I even walk around the neighborhood some days until I hit 2 miles. Since I got a Fitbit I try to as of January burn 850-1000 calories when I workout. I haven’t weighed myself in almost a week (because I restrain myself to doing so only once a week) but the last time I did I was 260 pounds. A huge difference from my 307 pound beginning weight. I also started taking Hydroxycut. It gives me a bunch of energy to workout but we will have to see if it actually helps with weight loss or not
Thanks so much for sharing, i'm sure i could learn a bit from you :) I agree the scales can be un-motivating. Well done for keeping it up and not reverting back to your old ways even though you didn't lose a lb in december, that's where I would have slipped up. Keep up the dedication and well done for losing the weight you have lost, thats icredible :)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00