What is bipolar disorder?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Hurted, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

I have been reading a lot about depression today and i did few tests... some of them show me that i have bi polar disorder... What is it? And whats the difference beetween bd and depression?

2. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

The difference, as far as I know, is depression is a long time of feeling low / empty etc, whereas bipolar depression, also known as manic depression, is where you flick from being extremely low, to extremely high - manic, if you will - quickly. :hug:

3. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

Bipolar is a fucking pain in the arse, it's ruined my life.

4. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Ok...
    Is it possible to have both at the same time? I mean i defenetly had bipolar depression in since September 2006... But last 2 months i think that i have depression... I mean my mood was always jumping... but last 2 months all i do is crying, cuting and being sad...
    but i had few "short periods" of depression before... just that they least 3 weeks... i think that there were 3 eras like that...

I wanna die...:sad:
    Will i have to live forever with it?:sad: I wont be able to take it....

5. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

OK... i have calm down a little bit... now i have few questions and i please you to answer as soon as posible because otherwise i wont be able to sleep today:sad:

How often das mood change from happy to normal? In my case... i think that i have bipoar disorder 1,5 year... my mood jump from happy to sad pretty often... i cant remember because since today i didnt know that i have this disorder... but probaly it was jumping every week...

However, there were 3 "eras" (1 of them is happening last 2 months) when i didnt feel just sad as most of the time but depressed... Is this depression actually part of bipolar disorder or what? Or do I have depression and bipolar... becuase i have depression longer than 2 months now... Im sorry to bother so much but i really dont know lot about that desease...
    And is it possible that my depression takes so long just because i cut myself twice daily?

6. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Hi again.

I don't think there's a specific amount of times that moods go up and down - I'd imagine it depends on how frequently it happens, for a diagnosis to occur..

The answer to your final paragraph is that I don't know, unfortunately.. Have you been to your doctor about how you're feeling? That'd be the start of getting yourself better.

With your cutting etc - I don't necessarily think that it's causing your depression to go on longer than it would do otherwise, merely it's just a way of coping, I think..
    As I say, go to your doctor and see what s/he says :)

7. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

thanks:) I have already decided that i will search help as fast as i reach school tommorow...

8. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Ok... i think that i just have first time in my life mania attack...:sad:
    First i wanted to cut and I cry for 5 minutes, but then suddenly i have so much energy that i have to run... This has never happen to me before!:sad:
    What is happening to me? Is it possible that I dont have bipolar disorder but was this only psihical effect because i think i have it? my mood was always jumping from bad to good but i never had those mania attacks...

9. SadDude87

SadDude87 Well-Known Member

If you don't mind me asking what kind of test do they do to discern that you are bi-polar?

10. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

where there is lot of test on google. Of course, you cant beleive them a lot, but it is some kind of indicator.

I talk to school pshilogyst and i have decided that i am going to visit real one (outside school):smile:

11. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

They ask you questions.

The online tests aren't accurate at all, and they aren't an indicator.

12. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

Be careful with online tests a lot of them aren't valid and can cause you to think you have the symtoms that are associated with the illness. Speak to the doc, don't diagnose yourself from what you have read online.

13. Anotherday

Anotherday Member

Well, I've been diagnosed as bipolar 1 depressive. I guess that means I get very depressed. I have had what are called mixed states, which is a combo of mania and depression at the same time.

There is diagnostic criteria in the DSM IV and that is where I would go to look for more info.

I still can't believe I really have it, even though I've been with my psychiatrist for four years now. All I know is the mood stabilizer does something to me so I don't get so crazy anymore, which is to say not so self destructive.

I guess my realization (if I had one) is when I spent $6000 in about 6 weeks on Ebay, while I was sleeping on a mattress with no sheets the whole time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.