what is considered binge eating?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by wheresmysheep, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

exactly what it says on the tin.
    and i dont want to know in regards to calories, cuse i dont know how to count in calories. I'm wondering in terms of i mainly eat between the hours of 6pm and 2am and during that time, i may have 4 or 5 bags of crisps, a tin of pringles and a dip, dinner normally consisting of a full plate of food, 3 drinks, and something after depending on my mood. and then i normally want a chinese around 11pm but i rarely am allowed one as my mother doesnt like me ordering. but yeah i eat a fair bit, just wondering if it would be considered binging :unsure:
  2. alison

alison Well-Known Member

I don't know exactly what officially is considered "binge eating", but for me, I don't personally decide completely based on the calories, but more on how I'm feeling when I binge. For example, if I'm really hungry because I worked out a lot or something and need energy, so I eat a ton of food, I don't consider that a binge. Or, if someone served me my favorite food and I just go a little overboard because it's delicious, I don't really consider it a binge either. For me, when I'm binging I'm usually upset about something and have lost complete control over what I'm eating. I just shove more and more food in my mouth, way past the point when my stomach starts to hurt. When I'm binging I regret what I'm eating as I put it into my mouth, but I can't stop regardless, and every bite makes me feel like a failure.

I don't know if there is a 'medical definition' for binging, but just for me that's the way I classify it. I don't know if that makes any sense..

But, if you want to go ahead and use my definition of binge eating, why do you think you eat a lot late at night? Do you not eat well in the day and simply get hungry? Or does it help you relieve stress? I've heard of some people having trouble falling asleep because of anxiety and emotional eating late at night. I think these are important distinctions, but that's just my opinion.

If you are simply really hungry late at night, maybe you should try eating a larger dinner around 5 or 6 pm? (and breakfast and lunch at their normal times too) I know personally I feel a lot better when I eat earlier dinners... going to bed on a full stomach isn't great for your health and it makes me feel really worn down and tired.

haha, i'm sorry for answering your one question with about five more questions.

3. wheresmysheep

i eat at night cause i'm hungry :laugh:
    i just dont eat during the day, i dont have an apetite at all during the day anymore :unsure: if i do eat during the day, it makes me feel sick.
    not sure if i would say it helps me relieve stress, it does make me feel 'good' tho. foods about the only thing i 'enjoy'
    i dont sleep at all. average 4hours a night.
    yes i'm just hungry late at night, i tend to have dinner around 6pm, give or take 20mins. but once i have dinner i start eating LOADS and like i said, i normally dont eat during the day. i dont like eating during the day :unsure:

no i prefer having set things to answer, as you can probably see from my reply :unsure: :laugh: ty for your reply :hug:
  4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I like to eat. I eat lots. But I never binge. The closest I get to binging is giving in to my high-calorie cravings... Usually I fight them pretty strongly.

You're binging if you don't want to eat, but do it anyway. It sounds to me like you're a big eater, with perhaps some slightly strange dining habits.

Another thing, though: that sounds entirely unhealthy. It might be wise for the future to try eating more of healthy things [like your proper dinner] and thus being fuller for unhealthy things [such as crisps].
  5. wheresmysheep

But i do eat dinner, i eat a proper one too. meat and veg etc. but then i start stuffing my face as such. crisps, half a cheese cake :unsure: a packet of buiscuts so on so forth. i'll have to right down my next night of eating cause my memory is shit so :unsure:
  6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Er, that's what I gathered. My suggestion was to eat MORE in your proper dinner, until well after you're full.
  7. aki

aki Well-Known Member

I don't really know if that would be considered binging because I don't know a lot about that sort of thing...but it sounds, like you said, that you're just really hungry after not eating anything all day. I'm the same, I eat a lot at night sometimes but for me it's usually through boredom. I used to feel unable to eat during the day, like especially earlier on, I just couldn't swallow or I'd feel sick, even if I was at school or whatever. But I gradually started eating during the day, say I'd eat a very small breakfast like half a slice of toast and build it up from there, gradually eating more and more, and I got used to eating in the day. I think if you eat more in the day you'll feel less hungry at night. Also instead of eating maybe drink a cup of tea or something...or find something to distract you.
  8. wheresmysheep

yeah thats how i feel if i eat early.

idk i was just wondering. :hug: ty all
  9. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

Within the DSM criteria for Binge disorder you will find the psychiatric definition of bingeing- involves lack of control and short period of time. Loose definition of "abnormal amount of food" but the combination of short time span. lack of control. Also you may have something they're calling night bingeing disorder or something to that effect, it's still being researched but it's when you eat a lot during the evening hours only....

Defining characteristics of Binge Eating Disorder:

Binge eating disorder is a relatively recently recognized disorder (it is sometimes referred to as compulsive overeating). Some researchers believe it is the most common of the eating disorders affecting millions of Americans. Similar to bulimia nervosa, those with binge eating disorder frequently consume large amounts of food while feeling a lack of control over their eating. However, this disorder is different from bulimia nervosa because people with binge eating disorder usually do not purge (i.e. vomiting, laxatives, excessive exercise, etc) their bodies of the excess food they consume during a binge episode.

Diagnostic Criteria: DSM-IV

A. Recurrent episodes of binge eating. An episode is characterized by:

1. Eating a larger amount of food than normal during a short period of time (within any two hour period)

2. Lack of control over eating during the binge episode (i.e. the feeling that one cannot stop eating).

B. Binge eating episodes are associated with three or more of the following:

1. Eating until feeling uncomfortably full

2. Eating large amounts of food when not physically hungry

3. Eating much more rapidly than normal

4. Eating alone because you are embarrassed by how much you're eating

5. Feeling disgusted, depressed, or guilty after overeating

C. Marked distress regarding binge eating is present

D. Binge eating occurs, on average, at least 2 days a week for six months

E. The binge eating is not associated with the regular use of inappropriate compensatory behavior (i.e. purging, excessive exercise, etc.) and does not occur exclusively during the course of bulimia nervosa or anorexia nervosa.

*From the DSM-IV, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fourth edition, Washington D.C.: American Psychiatric Association, 1994.

Some Warning Signs:
    Rapid weight gain or obesity
    Constant weight fluctuations
    Frequently eats an abnormal amount of food in a short period of time (usually less than two hours)
    Does not use methods to purge food
    Eats rapidly (i.e. frequently chewing without swallowing)
    Feeling a lack of control over one's eating (i.e. unable to stop)
    Eating alone, "secretive eating habits", hiding food, etc.
    Eating late at night
    Eating when not hungry
    Disgust and shame with self after overeating.
    Hoarding food (especially high calorie/junk food)
    Coping with emotional and psychological states such as stress, unhappiness or disappointment by eating.
    Eating large amounts of food without being hungry
    Consuming food to the point of being uncomfortable or even in pain
    Attribute ones successes and failures to weight
    Avoiding social situations especially those involving food.
    Depressed mood
    Anxious mood
  10. wheresmysheep

wow, valis, ty
  11. LastCrusade

LastCrusade Well-Known Member

3500 calories make a pound. to know how many calories to consume daily to main tain ur weight, just multiply your weight by 13 . Anything more than that u gain :) (assuming ur metabolic rate is within the norm range) . I binge like you too. Too free sometimes. addiction to the net is killing me.

12. wheresmysheep

i'm not really into the whole calorie counting weight worry thing.. yeah i've put on weight and yeah i dont like it, but meh. what ya gonna do. foods practically the only life thing i truely enjoy, i love food. so i'm not going to ruin it mby controlling my intake on numbers and shit.. i just would not be able to do taht
  13. plates

plates Well-Known Member

if you see it a binge, it's a binge cos there are emotions involved. i dont binge anymore. which says how much my eating disorder has improved.

i could be binging on a few biscuits and that would be called a binge 7 years ago.

i could also be binging on a lot more than a few biscuits (sterotypical bulimic behaviour) and that would be as emotionally distressing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.