what is dissociation?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by alison, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alison

alison Well-Known Member

What is dissociation? If you dissociate, what is it like for you?

In my group we're talking about different ways to cope with 'crisis' situations, and there are certain ones we're not supposed to do if we are prone to dissociation. I've done some internet searching and reading, but I'm still confused. Everyone daydreams and spaces out to some extent. At what point is it dissociation?

thanks guys :)

2. byebyebeautiful

byebyebeautiful Account Closed

I dissociate, its sort of where your daydreams seem to be your reality and you've no idea what is actually going on around you, and you fully believe you was doing something different to what you was. It is scary when/if you realise that what you thought you was doing wasn't really happening. For me I would literally go into a trance type state, end up falling and have no clue what happened.

3. byebyebeautiful

byebyebeautiful Account Closed

just to clarify that is in extreme cases, for most people its generally a feeling of not living your own life and nothing feels real, but its different for different people. if you think you do suffer from this speak to a doctor do not say you have it if you may not, as it is very difficult to treat and there may be other causes for similar symptoms.

4. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

The line between dissociating to avoid responsibility (reality) and dissociating to avoid being overwhelmed by a crisis is fuzzy. Different people respond differently to the same stimuli. Some people under-react, some people over-react. Some people will treat a minor situation like a major situation. And some will run away from anything and all things because they haven't developed the essential skills to cope with them even though they're capable of it. It's like losing a match-up before you even start. And there're people who can cope with extreme situations with ease. In effect, they're under-reacting. Training can help change our response as well. It's hard to determine whether someone is being irresponsible or whether they're under-doing or over-doing their responses because irresponsbility could mask itself in their chemical response. How do you separate their high level decisions from their low level chemical responses?

When we're presented with some sort of crisis or frightening experience, we react with a flight or fight response. I think that our reactions are chemical impulses we've evolved over many generations to protect ourselves. If we're near a violent animal, we run or defend ourselves. If we're near a cliff, we fear falling. If we're near an explosion, we fall down in surprise and later shock. The degree that we're protected is varying and dependent on the evolutionary circumstances and the chaos of ever-present reality.

I don't know if it's related, but I used to get very involved in my daydreaming. I did drawings in class where I'd have the different actors (tanks, soldiers, helicopters, ships, airplanes, robots, spaceships, etc) battling each-other. I tried to keep score by drawing damage on the participants. If it had shields, for example, I'd weaken them and draw cracks. I was 15 at the time and I made explosion sounds (hey, free sound effects!). Ratatatatata for machine guns. Zuooooo (kind of) for lazers. That was how dissociated I was. Teachers didn't like it. I got teased a lot back then so I can't help but think that was one of the reasons! That's why people avoided me so much. It was kind of like having my own computer game going on. I don't think a lot has changed. I should prioritize better.

But i've never been so involved that I completely am detached from reality. All someone had to do was say "Shhh!" or tell me to stop (which the teacher did a lot). Then I'd put it away and get to work. I'm inside my head a lot around people even now.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2010
  5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

seperation from one self to atime in the past some seperate from self and say the are able to look down at people and see and hear what is being said but not able to do anything themselves There is a seperation of reality though some have different personalities inside as well many types of disassociation

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.