What is Happiness?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Shadowlands, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadowlands

Shadowlands Official SF Hugger Staff Alumni

Could someone tell because I don't know? What does it feel like? Do you need to work on it or does it just happen? :confused:

2. ace

ace Well-Known Member

That's a tough one shadowlands my Therapist asked me that question and I barely could answer it,before saying I basically want to be happy without feeling so depressed and down all the time.I think it's hard to put into context personally I'd say I wish I wouldn't be as sad about the same thing's that either do bother me and don't and just be able to lead some sort of normal life.

3. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

Awwww.. sweet happiness. I miss it soooo very much. I was once happy, then I lost all my friends, all my belongings, best job i ever had, everything else and became schizophrenic and manic depressive.

Happiness to me use to be laughs, smiles, having a couple drinks with friends and dancing like a fool to live music. Now.. well now I don't know what it is anymore because I haven't experienced anything remotely close to it in a long long time.

4. Jackson

Jackson Guest

The split second Sisyphus experiences before the boulder rolls back down the hill again.

5. Ellycat

Ellycat Active Member

I personally don't think you can experience happiness without sadness. Anybody?

6. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

Dunno. I certainly do think its possible to feel sadness without feeling happiness though. Which would kind of make happiness the absence of sadness, wouldn't it?

7. Ellycat

Ellycat Active Member

Let me think about that one. Interesting.

8. Jackson

Jackson Guest

I would equate happiness with fulfillment, which has as many faces as there are people in the world. For some, a god is enough to make them feel fulfilled. For others, sad but true, a good body is enough. Or a keen intellect. Or family. Money. Combinations of many things and so on. Basically an anchor that allows you to function with enjoyment in the sea of change that swirls around you. The idealistic happiness is a phantom idea.

9. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Happiness seems to be little moments rather than a contant state, contentment is the main stay emotion I guess, with moments of sheer joy.
    Its a shame that life seems to offer so little contentment and so few moments of joy:sad:

10. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

Let us see it backwards.What happiness is NOT.Its just a word that can have no or many meanings. Its up to you.

11. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

Why is it that I have a geen button next to my SN.

12. Erebos

Erebos Well-Known Member

Nah. An absence of sadness is equivalent to the absence of happiness. Simply, nothing, neutral, balanced, whatever you want to call it. But polar opposites don't exist without one another. Without experiencing one, you cannot appreciate the other.

13. nrvsreck

nrvsreck Well-Known Member

I can only assume happiness is a lie for the foolish. Yeah, I know, it's no help... sorry.

14. Mew

Mew Active Member

Like LostMyMind, I was once happy (for an all too brief moment) as well.

It's tough to define. For me I'd say it's the spontaneous state of being free of myself and enjoying the Moment. It's that instant when I'm no longer introspecting, no longer beating myself up for past mistakes, no longer worrying about the future, no longer running from my inner voice. It's that instant when I see a person I care about smile and also end up smiling. It's that instant when I'm walking along, the day is beautiful, and I just feel like humming for no particular reason.

I'm not sure how to be happy. If I knew I probably wouldn't be here. I'd write some self-help book and become filthy rich :)

15. Pneuma

Pneuma Guest

I can't tell you what happiness is, I can only tell you what makes me happy. Knowing that I am in control of my life makes me happy (my parents were very domineering and abusive when I was a child so making decisions for myself was out of the question). Having the freedom to do what I want when I want makes me very happy. For many years nothing made me happy until I stumbled onto this realization. Maybe you'll find your happiness someday.

16. ace

ace Well-Known Member

I think that mean's you're online if that's I'm thinking you're meaning Bos:smile:,sometimes I think if I won the lottery would I be happy?It may sound stupid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.