What Is Healthy Food You Would Recommend?

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by SOUL_REDEEMER, Oct 24, 2010.

1. SOUL_REDEEMER

SOUL_REDEEMER New Member

I would say fruit of any kind, just know your limits.

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Get a big tupperware, get a bunch of vegetables that can be eaten raw, chop them up, throw them in, submerge in water with lemon juice, refrigerate. The water with lemon juice keeps them crisp and prevents them going bad, and any time you need a salad you use a strainer and grab a bowlful out. This makes a healthy salad a convenience food.

3. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Sounds like a weird snack, maybe... but I eat beans. Nuts of any kind and beans/legumes - very good for anyone who is usually low on energy; granted, someone allergic to nuts should stay far away from them.

My favourite beans: kidney beans (or a nice 3-4 bean meatless chili with celery, carrots, onion, green pepper -- Can keep in the fridge for a solid 2 weeks before it starts to get bad. Heat up a bowl or eat cold with toast or corn chips whenever you feel snacky.)

My favourite kind of nuts: almonds (you can eat them raw/salted/unsalted - though they're one of the more expensive nuts, they are very high in iron and can be a good mood booster.)

4. plates

plates Well-Known Member

complex carbs being a staple of your diet
    fruit and veg
    pulses, beans
    lean meat (if you eat meat) or soya mince/tofu if you don't, 2 portions oily fish once a week, eggs in moderation
    nuts
    olive oil in salads
    oats

water

no caffeine.
    no alcohol.
    no smoking

and a regular sleep routine.

all the above combined with regular exercise = feeling amazing. :stars:

5. bairsmith

bairsmith New Member

I recommend Fresh fruits, Green Vegetable, Fruit juice. As we all know that these all are complete diet for a normal man. If you have any suggestion please give me regarding healthy food.

6. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

The standards have already been mentioned, but small and regular amounts of other foods/drinks can be beneficial as well. Chocolate, for example, is good for the heart. I've heard that 8 small pieces is the magic number, but anything under 10 will do more good than harm. A glass/can/bottle of beer is also beneficial, as it's rich in protein and made from grain. Decent beer of course, not the cheap brands.

----The following is addressed to whoever reads it, and nobody in particular-----

Healthy Food

-Coffee is good for you, if you stick to one or maybe two cups in a day(and only if your body works well with coffee (i.e no jitters, stress etc)). The good for you part about coffee is that it keeps your brain alert, generally makes you feel happier, and lowers your chances of Alzheimer's in old age.

-Tea is excellent, you can't go wrong with tea. Antioxidants all up in that mofo. Green tea has more, But black tea has them too. Loads of flavours for you to experiment with and enjoy.

-Nuts are also excellent, they are good for you, contain natural oils for the body and skin, and stop you from overeating. Some nuts aren't so good, Google can tell you which, and salted nuts will give you too much sodium if you plan on eating nuts regularly or a lot of them in one sitting. They all contain starch too, so don't go crazy with them.

-Vegetable skins contain much of the nutrients of the vegetable, so if you peel them, you are peeling away a decent portion of the benefits. A thorough wash does the trick, and keeping the skins can improve their flavour also. Steaming them instead of boiling also keeps more nutrients in the veg.

Also, I don't know how known this is, but the available nutrients of fruits and vegetables decrease from the moment they are picked, so the fresher the healthier. Luckilly, it's a relatively slow rate.

-Brocolli, Apples, Blueberries, Spinach, Nuts, Fish, and a few other foods help improve your memory. Google it for more info, if you're curious.

-Don't buy bottled fruit juice unless it's the premium or fancy kinds, commerical brands are loaded with sugar (some of them have more per serving than coke) and are watered down. Apple Juice usually has the most sugar.

-The same goes for grenola/organic 'health bars', plenty of sugar and carbs to make them taste good.

-Muesli for breakfast will make you feel excellent all day, and will fill you up until lunch time. Easy as hell to make up your own, it keeps for weeks or more, and you don't have to stick to one type or a certain amount of dried fruit in your bowlful. Muesli + Fresh Banana + Ice Cold Milk = Nirvana.

-Plain buttered/margarined toast, with no other spreads on top may not fill you up, but you will be cutting out all that sugar that spreads contain.

-Any foods that contain decent amounts of the vitamins, nutrients, fibers, iron, calcium etc that your body needs, you should be eating. But don't forget what other things the food contains.

-Don't overeat anything, keep a decent idea of what you are putting into your body, and don't put in more energy than you burn off, or you will gain weight. It's essentially that simple.

SIDE NOTE - Diet Pills, Protein Shakes, Easy Diets, Fad Diets, don't work. They mess with your body, your weight will go up and down, and they don't teach you a lasting lesson about how to eat properly.

-Also, while not food related, a lack of sunlight will damage your body and mind more than people realize. It is seriously bad for you, and if you aren't getting some direct sunlight for at least 10 or 20 minutes a day, you aren't getting enough.

^ How I've written all this probably seems like I'm thinking you, the reader, are dumb or have little common sense. I don't think that at all, it's just written that way because I'm trying to be informative and helpful to anyone, and writing things that some people may not have realized, all in a quick to read manner so I'm not filling the page with words that don't need to be there to get the message across.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2010
  7. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

In addition to all the excellent suggestions above I would recommend foods high in vitamin D especially fatty species of fish like mackerel, sardines and salmon. Caught at sea and not the farmed variety. Adequate vitamin D is essential for growth, formation and repair of bone- depressed individuals usually have significant impairment in bone reformation.

8. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Not much more I can add that hasn't already been said, especially by Tobes.

I recommend drinking lots of water, and making it your main source of liquid intake (if not your only). Not only does water cleanse the body, but it fills you up enough to deter overeating. Drinking a glass of water before each meal, as well as between them, is especially effective.

Fruits and vegetables should always be eaten in abundance, especially the latter. They're almost the only thing you can eat without limit.

9. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Anything that makes your pancreas happy, ie low in sugar, high in fiber. Dont hate on the fats, in the right ratio they can be glorious. Protein is also your friend. And as Zurk said, water, treat your kidney's well, you would be surprised the amount of undiagnosed kidney disease there is(its actually pretty scary if you look at the statistics). Dont forget the omega 3's but no need to mega dose them(recent study shows link to cancer if taken in too high of amounts, but most people have NONE in there diet and they are called essential fatty acids for a reason, your body cant produce them).

10. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Well said Mike.

I would also argue for one simple, often under-appreciated thing: variety. People eat too much of the same stuff, depriving themselves of a diversity of good nutrition. Even eating junk food or a lot of red meat wouldn't be as severe on our health if it wasn't for the fact that it's largely all most people eat.

So take the opportunity to expand your palette. We're lucky to be exposed to so many exotic and internationally available food sources from all over the world. Get the best you can from as much as you can.

11. oval

oval Well-Known Member

avocado! tastes disgusting though

12. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

So basically I've taken to deep frying for the health benefits.
    I use canola oil which is rich in omega 3 and low on saturated fat. I'm not crazy.

13. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

For anyone living in the UK: Innocent Smoothies. I actually find it extremely difficult to eat fruit because of the strong tastes that for some reason my tongue has a hard time getting used to, so when I tried these out the first time I was sceptical, especially as I dislike anything fruity that has 'bits' in it. Anyway, tried a few of these flavours out and loved them. The 'bits' part was easily gotten over with the use of bendy party straws which help disguise the feel of the bits on your tongue. Not only are they extremely nice, but 250ml counts as 2 of your 5 a day. :]

Don't think they're available outside of the UK/Europe yet though could be wrong, but if they ever do reach further shores, I highly reccommend them to whoever is interested in getting a bit more healthy.

14. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

ever tried an avocado and chicken sandwich? they are delicious!

15. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

apple with cinnamon.
    oatmeal and scrambled eggs with cheese.
    ice! crunchy

16. oval

oval Well-Known Member

hot peppers!!!!

17. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Strawberries, oranges and pears. Sweet and delicious! :wub:

18. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

walnuts.
    sunflower seeds.
    squash
    grapes **
    watermelon

19. Malou

Malou Well-Known Member

This is my rescue plan on those days when I just want to sit down and cry. Easy and somewhat nutritious dinner for those who live alone and have no energy for complicated cooking:

Use big frying pan, preferably the kind with higher edges and a lid.

Cut chicken breast or pork chops in smaller pieces and fry in some oil and some seasoning on the pan until it's white. I use a scissors for cutting the meat, that way I don't have to clean a trencher, you can just take the meat directly from the package and cut it directly over the frying pan, that saves some mess in the kitchen.

Put in vegetables. I use frozen vegetables from a bag, that is so much easier than chopping raw vegetables, and you avoid the problem of fresh vegetables getting too old before you get around to eating them. Frozen vegetables have almost as many nutrients as fresh ones, and for me it's frozen veggies or no veggies, since I am simply too lazy to bother.

Put the lid on, maybe pour a little water in first to be sure it won't burn. Wait until the veggies are cooked, then maybe add some coconut milk or whatever sauce you like.

Goes well with rice. Brown rice are preferable, and if you can find the sort, that are in a cooking bag, it's not that troublesome to cook rice.

Now you have a reasonable meal, better than most fast food, and you only have to clean a pan and a pot and a scissor. Remember to clean the scissors well if you used it for meat though.

20. blue

blue Active Member

^that's a good plan.

Another thing you can do if you find preparing food to be too much of a stress, is too make lots of it all at once when you are in a good mood and then freeze or otherwise package it for later.

For fruits and vegetables you should go for what's in season, the longer food has been shipped the more nutrients it loses. It's okay to eat canned or frozen veggies because they have been picked at their peak and haven't lost as many nutrients as days old "fresh" foods.

Whole grains are definitely a good idea, oatmeal, barley, and brown rice.