What is inpatient hospitalization?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by solutions, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solutions

solutions Well-Known Member

I'd like to know what inpatient hospitalization is. I need a safe place where I can talk to people who feel like I do and get more help than I can get as an outpatient. I want to suggest this to my therapist/psychiatrist the next time I see them.

I'm thinking about McLean's hospital in Massachusetts (fuck state hospitals, I've heard nothing but misery from them). It's nearby, and I've heard good things about it.

For anyone who knows, what is it like? What typically happens during the day? How much of a chance will I get to do group therapy, which is what I really want to do? Do I have to wear those degrading hospital gowns, or can I dress like I usually do? Basically, what is the environment like?

Thank you for anyone who has a thought or two.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

In Canada in patient hospital pt wear their own clothes if volunteer admitt self
    there is group therapies and time to talk to nurses I would ask your doctor what he thinks as he may have some insight into the hospital you want to go to. Take care

3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i've been inpatient 4 times. twice as a voluntary patient (leave when i want) twice on a form (mandatory stay, cops bring you back if you try to leave). you get to wear your own clothes, which is nice, although there are some people who arrive without a change of clothes so you can use the hospital gowns if you need something clean to change into. we didn't have group therapy but we did lots of work on the unit. met with the psychiatrist daily, watched educational videos (like on CBT, cognitive behavioural therapy), talk to the nurses at least three times a day, formally, more chats with the nurses informally, homework to do (writing exercises).

i don't regret going. each time i was extremely suicidal before i went into the hospital and felt better after a week there. i think you get out of it what you are prepared to put in. the harder you work the better things get. still it takes time.

good luck talking with your doctor and let us know what you decide.

4. dragonfly70

dragonfly70 Well-Known Member

McLean Hospital saved my life. The care there is among the best in the country. It can be scary to be inpatient for the first time. You will be allowed to wear your regular clothes, but nothing with laces, no belts, etc. No hospital gowns, unless you go in without a change of clothes, then I think they are available if you need them. They will hold your toiletries and you can have them when you need them. The food is pretty good. The staff is wonderful. Very caring, very attentive. They have multiple buildings - it depends on what you are there for. Most of the rooms are doubles, with regular beds, not typical medical hospital beds. And, yes, there are groups.

Please, if you are feeling unsafe, ask to be hospitalized if at all possible. They can help you there, but only if you let them.

Peace,
    Dragonfly70

5. Alonewanderer

Alonewanderer Active Member

With my inpatient experience you only lost your laces and belt if you were a suicide risk. I had to wait a week before I received any kind of help though, it was just me, the patients and the staff. Oddly enough gaining entry was the same as jail for me, I had to be strip searched since I mentioned a drug history.

It was quite pricy for me also and I was given an experimental pill later to be named Zoloft.

6. alison

alison Well-Known Member

If its too pricey, I'd consider partial hospitalization. I did this, and quite liked it. Basically you go into the hospital first thing in the morning and leave at the end of the day. You're in groups all day, and are pulled out a few times a day by your psychiatrist, therapist, and social worker. Also, you get bloods drawn and a physical to monitor your physical health (I don't know if this is done to everyone -but I had been overdosing regularly and they wanted to check things out). I know my insurance wouldn't pay for much inpatient, but they did pay for a few weeks of partial. If you're not in immediate danger to hurting yourself, I'd consider this.

good luck.

EDIT: I just realized you're in massachusetts, which is somewhat close to me. I did partial at Butler, which is in Rhode Island.. so it may be an option for you. If you want to talk about Butler at all, you can pm me, I had only positive experiences. :)

7. dragonfly70

dragonfly70 Well-Known Member

I had almost forgotten the partial hosp option. McLean has a fantastic partial program. Also, I just realized where in MA you are. Do you have any substance abuse issues? If you do, then you may also want to look into Baldpate Hospital. It's pretty much up the road from you in Georgetown. They have a good substance abuse program there.

Peace,
    Dragonfly70

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.