What is it like to be free of thought?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by StephenP, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StephenP

StephenP Member

Well, what is it like to be able to be free of commitments, to have literally "not a care in the world". To not regret yesterday or worry about tomorrow.

It sounds so fantastic. Perfect. I wish I could be in such a situation. It would almost make time obsolete. I could just live for myself without the when or then, but just the now.

:blub:

I think this is probably part of my unhappiness.

2. silent_beast

silent_beast Active Member

That is life--constant commitment. But death is no better, as you are hurled into a world of nothingness, void of sorrow AND joy. You do not want to die because you desire nothingness; you simply want to be happy. Death cannot give that to you. In a previous entry, you said you had a good life in the traditional sense. Ask yourself, "What is the source of my emptiness?" Also, look at why you may feel this way. Perhaps, it is clinical depression, something that is out of your control. Perhaps, it is something you cannot let go of in your life. That is just me hypothesizing.

Keep posting. I hope you feel a little better. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2010
  3. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I don't know if there is a place where there's no worry or commitments. As you said, "Not a care in the world". boy wouldn't that be a good feeling. Maybe when I leave this place of constant sadness will I have some sought of happiness and peace :(. The sad thing is when you think about it, most of our worries and depression are created by other people or by ourselves accidently. Why couldn't the human race just stay nice and simple? Just getting by? Not having to create a massively physcologicaly stressed world. Just simple living. It's kinda sad because when I say something like "Once this is over I won't have anything to worry about" But once it passes I just worry about the other thing. It's crap.

4. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

I think I know what you mean, Stephen.

The word "carefree" tends to convey images of hammocks and piƱas coladas, in some tropical paradise somewhere. But it can be more meaningful than that. It's the uncanny feeling of having no past and no future, no direction, nothing to live nor to die for. It's definitely an aspect of what I personally seek in death.

I feel it's kind of a bittersweet feeling, neither happy nor sad. I associate it with a sort of completeness; my life has run its course, nothing more to say or do that ain't been said or done, so the only thing left is to reflect and let things finally wind down. A comforting futility that becomes all-encompassing.

Can you relate to any of that, or have I just gone off on a bizarre tangent again? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.