What is mental strength exactly?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by nicesinging1, Sep 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicesinging1

nicesinging1 Well-Known Member

I recently saw an interview about a man who is one of the best in his profession. An interviewer asked him what he thinks the mental strength is. He replied the following.

"To me, mental strength is about staying even and neutral through good times and bad times and not overreact to certain good or bad things and maintaining consistent stable feelings. That way, I don't overreact to mistakes I hate to make or become too depressed what I cherished so much is taken away."

My question and advice that I need from you guys is this.
    When my depression hits or intensely frustrating and depressing events happen, my energy shoots down to zero. Basically I don't wanna do anything. I have no energy and have to lie down on bed, trying to go to sleep because at least there is no worries, fears, and concerns while sleeping.

How do you make yourself push through even if you truly feel like mentally paralyzed because you just can't find a way to endure obstacles that you are facing?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
  2. poison

poison Well-Known Member

the best way to be mentally strong is to look at your current situation and then fast forward 5-10 years, or maybe even a year. will this matter then?
  3. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

Becoming your own biggest supporter instead of your own worst enemy
  4. WldHair

WldHair Well-Known Member

While I couldn't work while I was messed up, I had kids and a family. They forced me to keep it going. I made myself get out of bed to make food or to take them out to the park. It was hard, but I did it. When I had my last episode a few months ago, I freaked out because I knew I couldn't afford to go on disability again. So I kept myself going to work and was diligent about getting back on my meds.

I think it's all an inner decision. When I had my first breakdown, I knew I had to leave my job and I knew I had to let go and just lose my mind. I know that sounds silly, but I had to just lose it. Now, when I have relapses I know I need to keep it going. So I tell myself I'm not going to let it take me out again.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.