What is one word that you think has really lost its meaning?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by boo, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

What is the one word that you think has really lost its meaning? When people say it so casually it has become trivial.

To me :

I Promise.
    Is a word that is over-used and many forget the real meaning. Promise is a declaration assuring that one will or will not do something; a vow. People say "I promise to..." but they end up screwing it. Or when you tell your secrets to your friends and they say they'll promise to keep it a secret but they just say it to others behind your back. And in marriages as well. We no longer think about the real meaning of the word 'promise' that used to ensure everyone.

well, everyone makes mistakes and when they are asked to apologize, they just say 'sorry' and keep doing the same mistakes again and again. If they keep doing those mistakes then there is no meaning of saying sorry.
  2. sammakko

sammakko Banned Member

All words. Everything allways end bad, with everyone, in every place, so all words.
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

4. Hizoku

Hizoku Account Closed

Interesting thread.

Because it's overused, and said without hesitation. Even if it means, mererly saying it for the sake of it.

I'm not sure, but people say it alot, and quite often they won't abide by the things they said. Because either, they don't care, have better things to do, or changed their mind. If you have no freaking attention to keep the promises you make. Simple DON'T promise anything. It's very simple, really.

I think this is even the worst of all. You're in a relation with someone, and your partner says. "Let's be friends and stop going out". It pisses me off. Ontop of that, they next to never have actually the intention to be friends with you. You're dumped and they'll get rid of you. Not caring about what feelings you have or your thoughts on the matter.

Ohwell, that's my input, for now. Might add more later.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

Words are meaningless. I would never claim to be anyones friend or say I loved them, because if they don't know it from your actions then it's meaningless.

People are so impressed by words, but at the risk of becoming very unpopular, that's because people are stupid.
  6. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

Love - Thrown around everyday by teenagers and people in early relationships to describe their attraction or friendship. I hate how people use the word "love" so flippantly.

And Ziggy, I thought that about words for a brief amount of time (that they are meaningless) but then I realised how stupid it was because every word, by definition, has a meaning.

Also, words and actions are two seperate things and can't really be compared (except things like war, love, work etc).
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2010
  7. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

People hate everything now when really a more appropriate word would be dislike.
  8. corang

corang Well-Known Member

Almost every word with a strong meaning like other posts said love and hate mostly.
  9. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

10. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I don't know of just one word. Perhaps it's the users of the words that are the problem.

I think society as a whole is lying to itself, and that in lying, positive words have no meaning.

On the other hand, I can see a greater meaning to some words. Greed and lying are examples.

One word, family, does not mean what it used to anymore. I guess these words are describing support and nurturing structures our society use to have.

I'd have to say there are just too many in the US who don't have a clue as to what life is really about. We are saturated with putting on a front. This front has been cultivated by greedy corporations to turn us into robots to buy their crap.
  11. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Life: Because it has no meaning to me anymore..
    Love: Because I have this big hole in my chest, I don't feel I am capable of finding love with someone again..
  12. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

To hear how a celebrity donated X (specific amount mentioned) to this so and so cause and is celebrated for it. What about all of the everyday people who selflessly, quietly and regularly donate FAR more of his/her overall net worth and go unrecognized or without a fawning media matrix spewing endless accolades.

This so and so sports figure who "courageously" performed for their team's victory despite a pulled hamstring/hangnail/splinter/being deprived of their favorite brand of energy drink. :worthy: What about everyday people fighting for their country overseas or people who work more than one job to keep their family fed and sheltered.
  13. hope : all is pointless
  14. ~Tosh~

~Tosh~ Forum Buddy

they dont give a toss :sad:
  15. Vangelis

Vangelis Well-Known Member

Mentally Disturbed - Lost it's meaning because anyone that's a killer, murderer, rapist, are now given the term. Anyone that fits anything outside of the norm is considered mentally disturbed. Well at least I can fit in comfortably with the mentally disturbed hehe.
  16. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

PROMISES...I hate it when someone tells me they will do X or Y and then don't do it or cancel....do they realise when we aren't well that we need those people to follow through so we know they care about us?.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.