What IS Sanity?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by downnout, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. downnout

downnout Well-Known Member

After my last attempt I spent some time in a psych ward and I have to say... I started wondering about some of the therapists/psychs themselves. I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death here already but I haven't really looked to find a thread -- What is sanity and what is insanity? Why should psychs think they have the ability to tell another person when they are 'depressed'; do they live on another level? Is it just me, or in some cases are we letting others play God? Just thinking about it gets me more depressed than ever...
  2. martijn

martijn Active Member

I suppose sanity is thinking "normal" thoughts that are accepted by the majority of the human population (or well, the psych's in your case) and insanity is thinking "abnormal" thoughts that scare the majority of the human population.

Or something..
  3. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

You raise a good point, what is normal anyway. Do these therapists etc think rationally all the time? Heck, maybe even them have considered suicide at one point or another.
  4. Twisted Sweet Lies

Twisted Sweet Lies Well-Known Member

I’ve heard of psychologists who have committed suicide. I know my psychology book describes “normal” as following cultural norms. It’s funny. If you live in a culture where everyone hurts their self then it’s considered “normal” because it’s a cultural norm. It gave a better example in the book to show how messed up it is. I never liked the words normal or insane or sane. Who’s really has a power to decide that? I’m going to school to be a psychologist and I don’t think that once I’m one that I will have the power to do that.
  5. Asari Attar

Asari Attar Active Member

I have come to the personal conclusion that sanity, as defined by those who call themselves sane, is thinking in a way that stays inside the box. If you step outside the box you must step into the box labeled 'stepping outside the box'.

I am happy to say I am, if not completely insane, at least not sane.
  6. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

Psychiatrists are funny.

Me: "I'm getting racing (oops! shouldn't have said that) thoughts you know and.."

Psychiatrist: [Gets very excited. Interrupts me as she picks up on the "racing" bit. Writes and nods furiously] Oh, yes! I understand. Racing, yes, racing thoughts..

Sometimes I feel like I have to be very careful that I don't sound like a symptom list for "bipolar" or "schizophrenia" in front of doctors and stay away from speaking the same language as them. With my private therapist and the psychiatrist, I'm 2 different people. The private one looks at me as a human being. The psychiatrist only wants to know what they want to hear, and I'm used to it. It's like talking to machines who are programmed to pick up on certain patterns that they understand, from their DSMV or whatever manual,- they process them and their output will be the same. Take medication. You're ill.

As for sanity and insanity. We live in a very fucked up world, full of fucked up people.. it's language. And language is important as they do have connotations and do have weight and do have influence. What matters are individuals and how they feel about things, how things are effecting their life and what they want. If someone said they felt depressed and low, doesn't mean that they are insane, sane or whatever. Being depressed doesn't mean you are insane. Or sane. I don't like those two words.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  7. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I think the difference betw the two is how much one can function in their own best interest in the world...normal, is most efficient, A to B...neurotic, A to C to D to B...and psychotic, not knowing A or B... I think to more one is able to be authentic in his/her life, the less any of this matters, just my 2 sense, J
  8. downnout

downnout Well-Known Member

ggg456 -- I'm curious, why do you bother with the psych at all?
  9. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

benefits. money to live. it's a funny situation.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.