What is so wrong about suicide?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Powdered Water, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unless you have a religious stand point, what is so wrong with ending a life so painful? The only consequences that I see are possibly the emotional distress suicide could bring to loved ones. But why live if it is only to make someone else happy?

Just wondering. I personally believe in a form of reincarnation, so to me death is just another part of life. :smile:

2. malek

malek Well-Known Member

i agree.

And you are right too the only bad thing about suicide is the grief it causes your loved ones, i suspect this is why it is frowned upon and why it was written in the bibal in order to control the mass populace not to kill themselfs.

Also

Suicide is against the innate human behavior/instincs. Most humans have a will to live that is stronguer than anything else. For us that will to live as eroded and is non existant, someone that has never been throught what we have will never understand us because they have the innate will to live that we lack.

So about 1000 years ago it was written in the bibal by man (not god) who most likely lost someone close and could not get over it so they ammended the bibal in order to force people into submission for fear of retribution and spending their after life in hell (which i dont believe exist ... seriously what could be worst than earth)

my 2 cents, Malek.

3. BeenThere

BeenThere Guest

I am not a religious person,but i have to believe that we are put on earth to learn some sort of lesson.To end your life no matter how hard it is is to end that lesson prematuraly<sp?>The loss of life no matter the "how" is and always will be a tragedy but one i hope the rest of us can learn from.

4. malek

malek Well-Known Member

i dont see the loss of life as a tragedy but more of a natural outcame weather it be suicide or natural death or accident.

Would you weep for a dead rodent? no? why would you weep for a dead human ... we are no different than any other living creatures ... actually i respect every other living thing on earth a lot more than i respect the human species we are worst than cockroaches.

Point being, i dont think we have a special purpose, i dont think there is a great plan, i dont think we are here for any particular reason. I think we are simply here because our parents mated and we will live ou life mate and have kids then die.

This is it, there is no greater meaning to life. your born, you live and you die. weather it is by suicide or accident the outcome is the same and the people around you will react the same. To everyone that is affraid of death and the unknown death is scarry and not welcomed.

To me it is the opposite ... bring it on.

5. Dead Alive

Dead Alive Active Member

You better hope your right about reincarnation. Otherwise... you could be in for a hair raising experience later on after you do it.

6. BeenThere

BeenThere Guest

Its a point of view Malek :) im giving mine hehe.I agree to die is a natural part of life but it doesnt mean it doesnt have to be a terrible loss.I wont argue with your point of view but i think there has to be more than to be born,live,die imo.I FEEL that if you dont have anything to believe in ( and i dont just mean religion) then life may be an empty experience.Either way its up to everyone else to decide what they want to live for.Isn't "why bother there is nothing to live for" part of the reason some people get depressed to begin with? I for one would look forward to growing old with my soon to be wife...to me that is not an empty experience.Peace.

7. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

Well really I have a hard time justifying why suicide is wrong from my atheist standpoint. And really based on my beliefs I do find nothing wrong with suicide. It is like I tell many people. I will stand there and watch you kill yourself as long as it is what you truely want to do.

We all talk about an unknown future. And it is for that reason that I believe suicide is ok. You do not know for sure that things will get better, but then again you do not know for sure things will get worse. Maybe things will stay put you never know. So really it is like gambling. And to quote one of my favorite movies, Rounders
    Well it was something like that, it has been a while since I saw that movie. Anyway I hope this answered your question is some way.

8. theplaya

theplaya Well-Known Member

firstly i would like to say theres nothin like reincarnation .. theres no god .. theres no ghosts..lol else u would find dinosaurs roamin around as ghost... theres nothin wrong with suicide from my point of view for instance i had a ambition of bein someone and if im pretty sure it aint comin true wat hav i got to live for sixfeet under would suit me jus fine ..

9. It's like amputating your arm because you cut your hand.

It's an over-reaction, a permanent solution to a temporary problem. We all have the opportunity and the ability to lead happy, successful lives (those of us fortunate enough to live in developed countries anyway). To kill yourself when you're depressed makes no sense whatsoever, since it's 100% possible to fix whatever problems you have and get out of depression.

10. Cluster

Cluster Active Member

. By living you arent increasing their happinness, it's neutral. By dying, if you love those loved ones enough then you wont inflict the pain onto them.
    What you said is an opinion from egoism because youre not considering their feelings. They wouldnt understand and you have to understand that.

11. malek

malek Well-Known Member

the reason i'm staying alive is to prove people that think this are wrong. My life as sucked for the last 25years and counting. It will never get better, it never has and never will. I have tried pills, therapy and all that crap but those dont stop me from getting an accident wouldn't stop my wife from leaving me etc.

Life sucks and it's outside my sphere of influance so how could i make it better.
    Society is f-up beyond all recognition, the human race is killing it self, we are polluting everything and consuming every single resources we can get our grubby hands on ... how can i fix that.

no not all problems can be solved and those that make my life misarable i have no control over so...

12. Whatever keeps you going. Still, that's a pretty crappy reason. Wouldn't you rather prove me right?

If you tell yourself "I can't", then you won't try. If you don't try, then yes, you will fail.

I don't know you or what kind of problems you have, but I do know that it's almost certain that there have been people worse off than you that have succeeded regardless.

Is that really your problem?

Name one problem that can't be solved.

13. Isa

Isa Well-Known Member

it makes you dead

14. lostcat95

lostcat95 Guest

I don't think that it is a crime but it is unnatural

15. dai-z

dai-z New Member

i don't think suicide is unnatural, at least not in my family, have lost 3 family members to suicide in as many generations, I almost became the 2nd of my generation to end it. I didn't mainly because I didn't get the chance and was whisked into hospital before I got the chance. I know it's not gone, just subdued by drugs for the meantime.

Anyway this is my mantra that I use to keep me alive.

How can I take a life that has grown more through this depression and realisation when I let the same life live when things were truely bad?

16. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

Really? Did you know that if there was no suicide we would not have hands? Are you familiar with Apotosis? It is a process within the body where the body tells a cell to kill itself. This is a very unnatural thing right? I mean all cells should live out their lives and die off naturally right? But if they did that we would not have our hands. If you look at this through the eyes of us as the cells on the world. How do you know that the world is not shaping hands for itself?

17. bumper

bumper Well-Known Member

Most of the time I try to refrain from being rude, but that post is the most ignorant, incorrect, and just plain stupid thing I've read on this message board. Saying things like that to people who are suffering does one thing: It makes them feel worse.
    Thanks,<mod edit: bunny - flaming>
    Oh, I just love your screen name. It is very appropriate, considering the <mod edit: bunny - flaming> things you are saying.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2007
  18. dai-z

dai-z New Member

Never a truer word spoken, thanks x

19. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

I wish I could be as optimistic as you.

I myself am very afraid of death and what happens afterwards, no matter how confident you may be in your beleifs, we still do not know what happens after death and most likely never will. Also, may sound crazy, but I do beleive in reincarnation and sorta wish it did exist if the idea does not already. If there is reincarnation, all I can hope is that all of us can be reincarnated into having a better life without this horrible emotional pain constantly wracking us.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2007
  20. jennilee

jennilee Member

I personally feel that commiting suicide is the one of the most selfish acts that someone can make. I also feel that it's a sign of weakness. However, I do have sympathy for those who feel that they have no other options. I just wish those people would seek professional help and give 100% to get better for themselves and their loved ones. God doesn't ever put more on us than he knows we can handle. Who are we to say He is wrong or he made a mistake? He knows whats best for us and by us doing the opposite is like a slap in the face. What we all need to remember is everyone has problems. Everyone! Some have more problems than others and some have less, but the fact still remains that we all have issues that we wish we could change and make different for whatever reason. However, we all need to also realize that there are others in this world that have it a whole lot worse and are a whole lot worse off than we are or ever will be for that matter. We need to be grateful for all the good things we have in our lives and all of our many blessings. Then we need to work on the problems we have. These type of problems can all be resolved if you really want it to be. It may take some work, but I feel that's a small price to pay for happiness and happiness is something that we can all have if we truely want it. I don't mean for this post to sound mean or uncaring, because that's definately not my intention here. It just really frustrates me to see people in this state of mind when there is so much help out there for them. I want them to know that they can get better and they can be happy again, but THEY have to be the ones to make that decision and want it. Noone can force that on anyone. God Bless!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.