What is Soapbox

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by itmahanh, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Used to be a forum for heated debates about important issues. Now it's all rainbows and unicorns ( based on the threads at the top of the pile and the replies). When and how did that happen? Doesn't anyone here anymore just really need a place to vent about politics, recent news articles etc? Do long ago members like me not really have a place around here any longer?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

yes you belong here and you can debate important issues here many have and will so you can as well

3. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

I've seen debates here lately.

I guess it's just 'simmered' (for lack of a better term) down a bit in the past few weeks.

4. itmahanh

Should go back oh, about 100 pages (haha) or so. That's when things got so heated, the mods and or site owner would have to edit posts, lock up a thread and/or ban the odd member or two... sometimes. Some really good back and forth going on and insight though. Personally I think all the lollipop threads belong in the positive feelings etc. threads. How do you vent or debate clips about cute wittle puppies and kitties? No offence intended to the author of the posts.

5. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

I've posted quite a few threads/posts in Soapbox forum but I tend to be controversial and end up having them deleted and sometimes recieving an infraction....... I have to edit them now to tone them down before submitting..... still i can see the reason as some of them unedited might be triggering to other members

6. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

It depends what we talk about and where we meet on it. Talkings fine.. but it's clear to me that the first stages are awareness and a degree of understanding. But that only goes so far. Actively making a difference in what you believe is the fundamental part that creates a real change. Talking is an idea, and I think alot of us have talked so much about so many things, that it can hurt to venture into new ones when so many issues are left untouched.

That... and alot of the things that bother me are far too direct and triggering I think for this forum. This place is about awareness and understanding imo. A bit of a shake down, and helping to enforce that we are not alone through the nightmares that are entangled in our lives and world. All you need to do is make a thread though :)

7. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

A soapbox was a wooden crate that held soap powder back in the 19th century. It was a handy thing to stand on in the midst of a crowd, the better to carry your yelling. This was before the electronic sound amplifiers, TVs, and computers which we folks today assume have always existed.

Heated debate on politically or emotionally charged issues is against the current spirit of this website, which mostly aims at providing supportive affirmation to members of the mental health and substance abuse therapeutic communities. I'm surprised the proprietors allow as much of it as they do, or for that matter, even have a "soapbox" section to begin with. Note that "soapboxing" on public or personal peeves differs a bit from the "let it all out" stuff where personal feelings can be aired if they are given without explicit reference to identifiable persons, or to other forum users.

:happysmiles:But does it really matter? The web has thousands of rant sites on almost any issue you like. Check out Texas Open Carry's forum if you're into wearing a six-shooter on your hip just like cowboy days, for instance. It's hopelessly ad-cluttered, however.

Best wishes to all....(unicorn)....(rainbow)....(thunderhead & approaching 10km asteroid)

8. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

City-Data.com forum's Politics and Controversy section. Try there. The City-Data.com forums have every topic under discussion that could ever be discussed, from automobiles, to zoos. Posts are moderated extremely well and good, substantial discussion is encouraged by a rating system where members are recognized for the number of quality posts they make by number and color of stars next to their name. Something like a million members. I enjoy it.

9. itmahanh

Hey Guest thanks for the inane drivel. You know so much about the site and what it is and offers, yet, you have no status here or are even registered as a member. When you can show your true colours then offer some real input. Put that in your soapbox and stand on it.

10. justMe7

Hatshepsut used to have an account here up until recently. I think from 2013 or something, atleast from that account. (incase you remember from avatars, he/she had it as a ladybug)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2014
  11. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I still can't even figure this out. Unless my mind is playing tricks on me that member was here very recently as I remember the distinctive ladybug.

12. justMe7

Yar I don't know to be honest.

@itmahanh - they need to change this forum name to "positive messages". Realistic discussion about real life situations that may/will trigger situations?.. nah. Who wants to post anything when fluffy discussion is happening.

13. flowers

flowers Senior Member

maybe soapbox can be for both kinds of threads. The threads you call fluff, and the other threads you do write on. I personally will not read the fluff stuff. But its important to at least one person who likes to write it. maybe the other more controversial stuff can also co-exist in different threads here on the soapbox. I sometimes do read the controversial threads. But as I said, I ignore the "fluff" threads. They are here. I just dont ever click to read them

14. justMe7

Perhaps....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.