What is someone who doesn't want help supposed to do?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Brandon Kwon, Apr 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandon Kwon

Brandon Kwon Banned Member

Many of you know this about me, and many of you don't. I am bi-polar with severe depression. And I often just don't want help. I don't want to help myself, I don't want to work. I just want to inject something into me that makes me immediately happy again. And if no one's offering it to me then I don't want it.

This is why I refuse to go to any more therapists, because they don't give cures, just tools that I'll toss aside and go on being miserable. People here, give tools and I'm really only willing to try them if I think I'll get quick, easy and/or instant gratification. And then when it doesn't I just sigh and resume being miserable.

What is a person like this supposed to do? Be miserable for the rest of their life? Stop seeking help? I just don't see what purpose someone like me has in the world or society at large. How am I going to get anywhere if I've given up to the point where I just toss away any tools given to me? Do people like me just belong locked up for the rest of their lives?

Everything is so unclear for someone like me.

CandleLight likes this.
  2. afterlifepig

afterlifepig Well-Known Member

drink coffee/use caffeine pills and get happy. rinse and repeat until burnout ensues. then sleep it off and repeat the cycle! that's what i do, lol. i usually come here during the burnout part of the cycle because i start thinking how much better things would be in the afterlife, when i'm not limited by my physicality anymore.

edit: but be very careful about caffeine pills. first you must spread out your intake (or you might end up with nerve damage) and secondly i've heard of a connection with diverticulosis/itis which if true (can't find any evidence thankfully) means that you should never use caffeine pills to begin with. or maybe you could get a mortar and pestle and pour the carefully dosed powder into some juice and stir it up. am going to ask my psychiatrist/doctor about this at the soonest convenience.

3. Jenumbra

Jenumbra SF Supporter

Hi Brandon, I'm sorry things feel so difficult for you. Since you're posting here, it seems like you do still want help and I hope you're willing to try. How about trying to change the way you think and modify your goals? If you were doing something new like learning an instrument, you wouldn't expect to become an instant virtuoso, or if you were starting to run, you wouldn't do a marathon, instead you'd a practice for half an hour each day and start with walking or running 5 minutes. I'm guessing that you've been dealing with mental health issues for a long time so instead of looking for an instandt cure, aim for the goal of feeling a little better each day and giving medication and therapy time to work. To my understanding, the extreme mood changes of bipolar are extremely difficult to handle without medication, so why not give that a try? It takes time, but if it works, wouldn't it be worth it in the end? Please try to write down some new goals and make a list of things that make you feel better and a list of new things to try. I'll post some stuff below for you to check out. Please keep posting here and let us know how you're doing.

Wellness reminders (It's hard to feel mentally well if you're body feels crappy.)
    - Get enough sleep
    - Eat well, protein, veggies, grains
    - Take a walk outside

Books
    - Get It Done When You're Depressed - practical suggestions by a woman with bipolar http://www.amazon.com/Get-Done-When...-1&keywords=get+it+done+when+you're+depressed
    - Man's Search for Meaning - part memoir, part introduction on logotherapy, how to find meaning in all experiences, including suffering http://www.amazon.com/Mans-Search-M...4101&sr=1-1&keywords=man's+search+for+meaning
    - Beyond Blue - part memoir, part help guide by woman with bipolar http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Blue-S...on+&+anxiety+and+making+the+most+of+bad+genes

Freya likes this.
  4. CandleLight

CandleLight Well-Known Member

Jenumbra, Get It Done When You're Depressed sounds great. I will be sure to pick up a copy. I've already written the title down.

Brandon, how are you doing today?

Jenumbra likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.