What is Sorry?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Yoko Odinhart, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Yoko Odinhart

Yoko Odinhart Well-Known Member

As the title states, I am asking what is sorry? What does it mean? When is it right to say 'sorry', and when does it lose meaning?

You see, I was sorry for my actions. Then someone told me that sorry is a promise that the thing I apologize for will never happen again. That's too bold a statement I find. Since when was sorry ever a promise. Since when was sorry something about the future? I has always thought sorry was for a past mistake. Wouldn't the promise be included in the phrase "I'm sorry, I'll never do it again?"

Depression is a cycle of thoughts. They happen and they are unpredictable. I stopped making promises of any kind because of my depression. History always repeats myself. And it's always been held against me. Always. When I am told there can't be a friendship if I can't make a promise, my solution to that is to just let it go. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. If you don't want to be hurt anymore, then you might as well leave me be. I don't make promises I can't keep. If that makes you hate me, so be it. A promise won't fix me. Words won't fix me. I will fix myself.

I may be wrong, but I know myself better than most people. I am fully capable of fixing myself, but that won't come without the setbacks and depressive cycles.
  2. Jay19

Jay19 Well-Known Member

If someone was to say sorry to me I don't really take it on board. I'm a stubborn person so in my eye they should not have done what they did in the first place, words are easy to say but actions means more.
    Having said that I don't believe 'sorry' means that you will not do it again, to me 'sorry' means you regret doing what you did and the effect it had on that person and it wasn't your intention i.e upsetting them.