What is suicide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

claycad

Okay, I got a question. What exactly is suicide? Now the definition of suicide is: The intentional taking of ones own life. We all understand that. But what about the philosophical questions such as is taking your life to save another really suicide? Is jumping on a grenade to save the lives of many, suicide? Questions like those.

Lets say a physically healthy person goes to an ER, says I'm here to donate my organs, then kills themselves right there in the ER so their organs could be quickly harvested and be given to patients in need. Would the fact that this person took their own life to save the lives of several others be suicide? By true definition it would be a suicide since they intentionally took their own life, but from a philosophical standpoint, would it be a suicide?

Now I suppose you would have to take into account why this person this person would be doing this. Would they be taking their own life for the soul purpose of saving others? Or would they be taking their life for selfish reasons but felt that their death might as well allow others to live? Does one reason make it not a suicide while the other reason does?

Just a philosophical debate for fun…

S

Saoirse

In my eyes, suicide is suicide regardless of there persons intentions or mindset at the time. However 'honourable' they may be. The person took their own life, doesn't matter if it was to save others, they still took their own life.

If that makes sense O.o

claycad

In my eyes, suicide is suicide regardless of there persons intentions or mindset at the time. However 'honourable' they may be. The person took their own life, doesn't matter if it was to save others, they still took their own life.

If that makes sense O.o
Okay, fair enough I see where you are coming from. I will see if I can rephrase my question to get less generic answers though.

If suicide is suicide no matter how you look at it, then is there such a thing as a justifiable suicide? Would killing yourself to save others be justified, or more justified, then killing yourself in vain?

I suppose another aspect of that question would be “justified in who’s eyes?” I am saying justified in society’s eyes, but if you believe in a God, then based on your particular religious beliefs, if any, do you think there would be such as thing as a justifiable suicide in Gods eyes. (I’m using god as a generally term to refer to whatever deities you believe in, not to entail any specific religion.)

claycad

Havn't you watched "Little Nicky" clayad? "Self sacrifice automaticly get's you into heaven"
Am I seeing double yo? I'll tell you the same thing I told you about about the killer pills on 24...it always doesn't work like it does on television. But yeah, I've seen little Nicky many mnay years ago, okay movie, but not one of sandlers greatest hits. Oh yeah, and I don't believe in a heaven anyway.

eih

say u push someone out of the way of a bomb or something.. and you don't think it'll kill you and all your thinking of is saving that person.. but you end up getting blown up.. that'd probably be ok:blink:

claycad

say u push someone out of the way of a bomb or something.. and you don't think it'll kill you and all your thinking of is saving that person.. but you end up getting blown up.. that'd probably be ok:blink:
Yeah, that would be more of an accidental death than a suicide. Actually not more of, it would entirely be an accidentally death.

By the way, when I read you comment, for some reason I couldn't help by to think "Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00