What is the answer?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by darkrider, Dec 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkrider

darkrider Well-Known Member

I'm sure everyone asks the same question, but i'm wondering to myself just how do I overcome this lowness.

I wasn't always depressed, at least I think not. I was always shy and reserved, but at 16/17 coinciding with when I went to college, it all came down on me at once. From then on I seem to have lost of part of myself, and became incredibly down. At that time I was in a terrible state mentally. For the past four years my depression has probably increased, but i'm more confident in myself because i've matured, but I still have this depression which blackens my mind and numbs my thoughts and emotions.

I'm scared how long it can go on for because i've been totally isolated for a few years now. I haven't progressed in life like everyone else. I had to drop out of education, and i've never worked. I'm lucky in one way I can be reliant on my parents, but this is a dire situation.
    I've started seeing a councilor (one session so far), can this be the answer? Can they give me the confidence and encouragement to get out of the house and do something, and with that my depression will begin to lift? I can get out of the house to go places, albeit I have bad anxiety, sometimes I even feel good when i've been out, sometimes. Could my depression all be down to lack of 'life experience' through isolating myself from the outside world? Or is medication truly the answer? The doctor suggested my seratonin levels may be off, which induces depression, but i'm scared to death of the idea, and don't want to become reliant on them. She said they make you worse before you get better. I asked if I could 'experiment' to see if they do help and she is correct, but she said they have to be taken long term.

I don't really know what i'm getting at here. I'd like to know what approaches people have taken to dealing with it all? I hope to god the councilor can relax me and lift me somehow. I need to gain independence to get out of this isolation i've created. I don't want to have to turn to medication, but if there's no other way.. so be it.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

If you're seeing a councillor I'd see how that works out before considering medication. Short answer but enough said I feel.
  3. LostSpirit

LostSpirit Well-Known Member

Personally medication never helped me i was on prozac, for a while... but seriously you need to at least try, befor you write it off. it does wonders for some. personally its all in the mind, what makes people think that little tablet can change there way of thinking, when it comes down to it. its you and only you who can change the way you feel, talking to a councellor did help me at the time, i have suffered depression since i can remember, its just a shame councelling could'nt go on forever, if it could then i would be fine...

we sometimes dig our self's in such a hole, we can't see a way out, thing's do get better over time, nothing ever stay's the same...

least you are taking steps in the right direction .......

i hope you find inner peace real soon

4. JusT

JusT New Member

hey. I've dealt with that same type of depression for almost a decade. And as opposite as it may feel according to what your mind may be telling you. Isolation is the worst way to deal with depression. Simply because it isolates you. It makes you ponder on your shortcomings and things you did/didn't have any control over. And then the shame comes after that, which pushes you to want to hide from those who care most. And that's when the depression attacks. To be honest I thought meds would work. But they really don't. to quite frank. Because after a while you grow depressed that you even have to take them. So the problem becomes worst. But never better. At best they attempt to "mask" the problem.

The best thing to do when you are depressed, is talk...open up. Embrace the adversity. And provoke the change. I know its hard. And the more we face ourselves the harder it will become. But the authentic change in the end pays off.

Learn to curb your thoughts. That's the most important part to beating depression because that's where it starts. In YOUR mind.

I don't know whether you believe in Jesus, but prayer is definitely a better remedy than meds, for three reasons

1.It releases stress and tension
    “Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28

2.It's free.
    3.You can still have your solitude, but say what you have to say.

If nothing else just keep this in mind when it lurks.

Philippians 4:8

8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
    and you can always send me a pm. I'll listen :)

Much love to you.
    Grace and Peace
  5. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Medication can only help you find the answer. It can be the boost you need to find your answer. But it is not the answer.
  6. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I disagree with the previous replys. All be it the meds are not an instant cure. They help take the edge off. I am on a combo of meds for different things like depression, anxiety, irrational thoughts, mood swings, suicidal ideations, paranoia, Augoriphobia, and social phobia.I have to change AD's every couple of years because I build up a tolerance to them and then they don't help.
    I have found that taking my meds and seeing a therapist works the best. I isolated for fourteen years with no help. I have been in therapy for the last three years and she has me getting out of the house a little at a time. If I go somewhere and my anxiety gets to high I go home until I get past it then I go back to where I was and go inside and take care of my buisness. It is very important to go back that whey the negative thought doesn't win!!
    I still isolate myself in my bedroom when I am home. I also don't talk much except here on the forum because no one knows me. My advice is take the meds, see your shrink everynow and then (he will tell you how often) , and see a therapist. It works for me. I will have to battle this the rest of my life and I backslide everynow and then. I have really been depressed here lately because AD my shrink has me on right now isn't helping. I am also suicidal but my friends here at the forum have given me great support and made me promise I won't commit. I will be going back into the hospital after the holidays because I don't want to ruin it for everyone else. Take care and listen to everyone who reply's before you make up your mind what you are going to do!~Joseph~
  7. Oak

Oak Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Well you only have a session with your psicologist so far so its too early to make a proper decision but she pointed out, serontine lack leads to depression so if it may be your case, the unbalance is to be treated with a replacement of the chemick in your brain. I agree at this point with Joseph's answer. You may benifit from a combo of psi and medication. As to long terms it doesnt mean years but from 3 to 6 months is some case, longer in major depression which is not your case. Not all people react the same way to medication so to find the proper chemical that leads to your depression might take a while but do not despair.

best thoughts and good luck
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.