What is the longest time you went without sleep?

Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by nicesinging1, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicesinging1

nicesinging1 Well-Known Member

How many hrs did u go without sleep? How did u function in those times?
  2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

I once went 5 days with 1 or 2 hours sleep a night, followed by 48 hours with no sleep. I was paranoid and hallucinating at that point, and was convinced that I had to stab myself so that the "badness" in me could meet the "black cloud" that I actually saw in the corner of the room. This was a month ago... got some psych help, and some sleep and guess what, the hallucinations went away... as did the desire to stab myself. Still working on the suicidal feelings but am getting better.

Doing a relaxation class at the day center near me. It's really helping with being able to sleep, since I often awake in a fearful, panicked state in the night. I am learning to quickly assess if I'm in immediate danger, what is now vs. what is in the past, and do some breathing exercises to calm down again. It's a very hippy dippy class, CD of babbling brooks and birds LOL, but really helps,

3. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Longest I've gone was about 4-ish days. I don't really remember much of them.
  4. Ahrimar

Ahrimar Well-Known Member

ive gone 7 days and 6 hours. Lots of eating, lots of soda, lots of exercise and cigarettes...

By the time that the walls started bleeding i knew i should get some sleep.
  5. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

4 days. On lots of coffee and panicking and jittering around with paint and strings and wishing I was dead and when is this A level stuff going to end..
  6. Joshuwah

Joshuwah Well-Known Member

I've gone totally without sleep for three nights, As for coping I didn't, well.

As for functions I was too focused on passing my exams to be worried about how tired I looked or felt.
  7. mixedemotions

mixedemotions Forum Buddy

i once went 3 days with ony 2 hours sleep r soo...didnt really feel much different jst wanted to colasp :tongue: ha ha
  8. I guess right now...its the longest time i havent slept....the last time i actually slept was i think last tuesday...so....yeah, i dont function at all right now, im just too tired and everything....but i cant go sleeping...:sad:
  9. nicesinging1

nicesinging1 Well-Known Member

Can you help me understand how you can function without any sleep for a week? For someone who needs at least 7hrs of sleep every day, I have hard time understanding how you can even go to work/school, move your body and find energy to do acitivities without falling asleep. Let me be specific with my Q. If you go without sleep for 3, 4, 5 days, don't you find yourself yawning all the time, your eyes closing automatically and wanting to lying down and fall asleep instantly?
  10. faeriegirl

faeriegirl Active Member

6 days.....Thank God for Ambien.
  11. BlackPegasus

BlackPegasus Well-Known Member

48 hours. Don't think I'd last longer than that.
  12. carol2237

carol2237 Guest

longest is 8 days, normally it is 6... working on day 5 now... and i have mono, which makes it that much worse this go around

but to answer your question, after about 3-4 days you start hallucinating but after a day or two of that you are just crazy tired... and really grumpy...

~if your going through hell, keep on going~
  13. 3 and a bit days.

worst days of my life.
  14. dreamer

dreamer Well-Known Member

4 days i went without sleep and to be honest it didnt really affect me.. at the end of the 4 days i walked halfway across the city and then came home and was the same as i always am. Which just goes to show how messed up I am cus it affects other people
  15. ScouseJM

ScouseJM Well-Known Member

From a Friday morning about 6am til Sunday night about 3am (well that would be Monday morning).. Mind u that, that was because me and my mates went on a really fun weekend trip long before suffered from depression.

Due to the depression, it was about 48 hours I think. Every time this happens tho, afterwards I tend to sleep about an hour lol hmm
  16. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

3 nights I Think. 72 hours or so was my record I think. Did it twice. Loads of energy drink. but at some point I couldn't even speak properly anymore. and evantualy I just passed out
  17. Christianv2

Christianv2 Well-Known Member

I think ive gone longer than this but recently i stayed up for 30 hours. I could have stayed up longer I suppose if I tried but I didnt.
  18. danni

danni Chat Buddy

i believe it was 4 days it was last year, and for some reason i just couldn't sleep.
  19. Random

Random Well-Known Member

About 30 hours maybe. It isn't really much fun. After about 20 hours, I just get kind of numb. I don't want to stay awake but I don't really want to sleep either.
  20. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I've gone one night without any sleep a couple of times. I've never tried 2 or 3 nights in a row, but I guess its worth a shot.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.