What is the meaning of life?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by frypan367, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frypan367

frypan367 Well-Known Member

What is it? Because I fail to see it. I have social anxiety disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. I have no friends. I cannot do most things that other people can do. I cannot even enjoy hobbies. I want to die so the world wont be so scary anymore.

2. trireaper

trireaper New Member

to be honest, there is no point in life. its your job to make a point of life. sure, the path to the inevitable is similar but its how you make it that makes the difference. just think of things through others; why is it not scary to them? eventually, you'll be able to do anything

3. Cpt-Fantastic

Cpt-Fantastic Banned Member

Is there a meaning to life?

4. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Why does there need to be a "meaning to life"? Life is living. You work hard, you struggle, you find things you enjoy, you smile, you make friends, you share, you help others, you provide for self and family, you use your talents (whatever they may be), you sleep, you wake, you eat, you explore, you read, you write, you find favorite things. Life is living. You live your life based upon the direction and the efforts that you put forth into it.

5. Tired John

Tired John Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying that PickWith. As I perused your definition of life, it came me to how many of those I'm failing at and it struck me, that it's no wonder I'm ready to check out.

6. Moat

Moat Banned Member

The only meaning to life, for what I believe, is not what you do with yourself, but what you do while you are alive.
    After all, even if you have done something so astonishing, in 100, 200 or even 1,000 years hence, while people could remember your name, no one will know will anything about how you lived your live.

7. pickwithaustin

Life is also about learning. There are no mistakes unless you do not learn from errors.

8. Tired John

My friend, all things in life aren't solved by learning. Shit happens to people that's beyond their control to avoid or abate. The playing field isn't level and the game is rigged. Sometimes we get things dumped on us we had no warning of. I don't know what age you are Pickwith, but I'm 59 now and what I 'm learning is that a lifetime of hard work, learning and skills, doesn't mean squat when tough times come. Sometimes life just plain kicks you in the teeth when you least expect it.

9. pickwithaustin

I am 52, John. I probably know better than anyone about life kicking you in the teeth when you least expect it. Look into who and what I am.

Yes, many things are not within our control. I did not state that "all things in life are solved by learning." That does not change the fact that if we do not learn from our mistakes, we are doomed to a bad fate.

10. Tired John

sorry if I sounded argumentive, wasn't intended to be, was just sharing whati'm feeling... won't bother yuo again, sorry

11. pickwithaustin

I'm not upset, it's okay! We certainly do not control the things that happen around us and many times it affects us greatly (I know that very well). We do have opportunities to learn though. If we make mistakes, we can walk away with a lesson. In fact, when raising kids I've often had to take a step back and let them do something I know they'll fail, simply because by failing it they will take away a lesson. Learning and succeeding in life are not synonymous, but it's the best we can do proactively in defense, hoping for the best outcome we can achieve. Sometimes we still fail... but we can say we tried.

12. frypan367

frypan367 Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your thoughts on this. I have concluded however, something different which just came to me. It does not matter what the meaning of life is, because billions of other people will choose to live regardless of what I do or say or think, or whether I am alive. The meaning of life is in reality, only one thing: what is the meaning for my own life. I can either create positive things for the world or negative ones or not at all. The meaning of life is to create a positive impact on the world, thus justifying your existence.

13. Tfashorty

Tfashorty Member

I have not needed tough times to want to stop living. I'm new to this forum and very nervous, but really welcome the idea of being able to talk about suicide openly. It upsets the people in my life too much. I feel like I'm threatening them, which would be cheap. But what made me finally start typing was the whole "meaning of life debate" above and the connection to hard times in life. I see that some people think about suicide because things have gone so badly in their lives that they feel like they can't manage it. But for me it is more about the futility of life. I see the definitions above that include everything from learning (which seems to imply value in the process of encountering challenges and working through them) to eating and I see all of that as just distractions. I think love and having children are distractions too, although they seem to be longer lasting ones than some of the others. Distractions from the end result we all face - we die. I've asked people who seemed happy to me whether they like living and why, and I inevitably get these simple reasons articulated in the above posts. I just don't feel that. Do they have a gift, are they delusional, are they dumb, am I, is there a difference?
    The one reason I have never gone far with my desire to kill myself is that I am afraid of what happens when you die. It's a frightening unknown. I am just uninterested in living.

To Tired John - it sounds to me less like you want to die and more like you are feeling unable to improve your life. I would think you are the perfect candidate for, as a start, focusing on the simple small things that make us feel better if only for a moment - like a positive interaction with a stranger like helping someone struggling to get through a door with stuff in their hands. Heck, I got a dog and he's not only been a lifeline (I can't just leave - I'm responsible for him) but he needs to be walked which forces me to interact with others and sometimes that is a good interaction and is enough to get me through another day. I don't mean to suggest your problems can be so easily solved but I think I hear a glimmer of wanting to live and maybe you can build on that.

14. terri

terri New Member

hello...

15. terri

terri New Member

hello tired john, this is my 1st time writing to anyone on here. I feel very compassionate toward your feelings. i don't know that i am suicidal but sometimes i wish i would just not wake up. i feel like i don't have a purpose, i cry easily but if i decided to end it, it'll so final, there's no turning back. so i try to think positive thoughts about my future even if i just make it up in my head cuz i know that having positive thoughts can lead to positive thinking and then trying to make it a habit. i'm not there yet...if you want to chat plz let me know. i think talking to other people like myself is going to be very therapeutic. hope to hear back...

16. Tired John

Hi Terri, thanks for caring and listening. I don't so much "want to die" as much as I can't carry all that life keeps dumping on me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.