what is the meaning of life?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by K3T, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K3T

K3T New Member

i sincerely believe that the meaning of life is to follow your conscience.

what do you guys think?
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

to me it is treating others as you would want to be treated with compassion respect understanding
  3. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

I think a lot of people get the meaning of life and the purpose of life mixed up. I don't know what the meaning is, but I think the purpose (or one of) is to do the best you can in things that matter.

On second thought, perhaps the meaning of life (in a literal sense) is simply "to live".
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2010
  4. pit

pit Well-Known Member

eating, drinking, fucking, loving, pissing, shitting, fighting, thinking, dreaming, planning, sinning and similar activities.
  5. boo

boo Well-Known Member

To live the American Dream! :huh: Liposuction and pastic surgery :D
  6. friendless

friendless Well-Known Member

I agree with Tobes, I think you find your own meaning to life; whether it be some kind of religion or faith in science (or just living). Your purpose in life is your life's goal and whatever gets you through the day; whether it be your job, living for family and friends, etc.
  7. History

History Well-Known Member

life doesnt have any meaning. u get born, grow up, work hard trying to achieve the best for yourself then still have to die. generations come and go and awhile after we die, we're forgotten.
  8. Entoloma43

Entoloma43 Well-Known Member

From a strict biological standpoint, the meaning of life for all animals is to successfully reproduce to pass on our genes.

From a philosophical standpoint, there is no ultimate objective meaning to life.
  9. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

I believe it's personal. Sometimes we'll get a collection of people who believe on the same lines on their meaning of life. In the end I believe you make it what you want it to be.
  10. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

the meaning of life is.......42....
  11. Lone_Wolf

Lone_Wolf Well-Known Member

To win this game. :)
  12. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

There is no meaning. It just is. Much like everything else.
  13. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

Considering I have 4 boys, I certainly hope that is enough for me.
  14. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I think you make your own meaning/purpose.
  15. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

People.... there is none. Shit just happens. So many people are obsessed with finding the meaning or purpose to life. Then you wake up one day old and near death and realize life, and it's purpose or meaning,while you were searching for it, happened and you missed it all.
    The purpose or meaning is.... just to be. That's it.

Now off my mountain top. I believe Bill Gates was in line behind you and needs to ask a few questions :dry:
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2010
  16. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

And I agree with Tobes too.

I just keep wishing for the impossible- that I was never even born and stuck struggling, suffering and trying to make the best of it. :( Bleh.
  17. Archon

Archon Well-Known Member

Indeed. Life has no meaning. It only has what you give life.

If you have a piece of wood, it does nothing. And then you use it to look pretty, it then has meaning, the only meaning life has is the one you give it.
  18. K3T

K3T New Member

i'm pretty sure that if life had no meaning other than whatever comes to your imagination, then there wouldn't be anything wrong with killing people or anything like that. does nobody think that God plays a vital role in why we're all here, where we are all going, and where we came from?
  19. Robin

Robin Guest

The meaning to life to me is to breathe :) Everything you can do in life starts with a single breath, the rest always follows and ends with your last :)
  20. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

Archon says it perfectly. The only meaning something has is one that we give it.

That said, I don't think there is a meaning of life, considering that this is a fundamental question we have been asking for centuries, probably millenia. If the smartest and most philosophical of humans haven't come up with an answer, it's safe to say that there isn't one. At least not some profound, mystical sentence or group of sentences that amaze us with it's wonder and insight.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.