What Is The Meaning Of Life?

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by Julia-C, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Julia-C

Julia-C Well-Known Member

What is the meaning of life? That seems to be a common question nowadays. I have asked myself that question so many times I can’t count. It’s a question so many in this world has tried to answer. People who claim to be an authority in the realm of religion, to those of social equality. Still I have yet to hear, read, or see an answer to that question.

Is life a choice, right, gift, or burden? The more I think about it, the more I come to realize the answer of one question will lead to the answers of the above question.

Is life a choice? Sort of it is. Sure no one makes a conscious choice to be born, to live and take those first breaths. We had no choice in the matter of our own conception. Still does that answer conclusively if life is a choice? Of course not. Everyday we continue to let ourselves live, are we expressing our will to live? For many the answer is yes. If we make the conscious choice to end our life, does that validate life being a choice? Not necessarily. Still it does serve to prove we have power over our own life and or death.

Is life a right? Sort of it is. For instance no one has the right to unjustly bring your life to an end. A gunman like Jared Loughner had power over the lives of his victims. At anytime before he physically pulled the trigger, he could have chosen to not take advantage of that power. Having power over something does not make any action you do a right. So is life a right? I tend to believe we all have a right to live. If we have the right to live, are we then given the right to die? Well that would be the million dollar question.

Is life a burden? Once again, sort of it is. We all have requirements in life. We all have responsibilities to ourselves and others. Many have a responsibility to be providers of financial and emotional support to our children and/or spouse. Are we only responsible for those we know and love because they depend on us, or in a way are we all responsible for the well being of everyone else? I happen to believe it is both.

The Chaos theory states that every action, even the action as simple as a Butterfly flapping its wings here in the USA can have drastic affects on the other side of the globe. I can’t see any fault in the theory of that logic. Think of how your life would be different if that one thing you regret most never happened. How would that change your life now and in the future. I think many of us wouldn’t be members of this site. How would the deletion of our mistakes affect the lives of others? How would their life change?

These are questions which could be pondered upon for eternity. Still no measure of pondering, hoping, wishing, or praying will change the past. What is done is done and we have to live with what we have done or not done. We as individuals who’s choices will affect the lives and possible rights of others. Have to strive to be responsible with the power over our lives. Every action we take creates an outward ripple of change in the lives of others.

Seven peoples families are now asking so many questions because of a man named Jared, and his choice to ignore his responsibility to others. The number one question is always “WHY.” It is a question we all ask, and we all want answers too.

The beginning of life is not a choice, it is thrust upon us. Although life is a right, and we have power over that life. We do not have the right to do with that life as we choose. Simply because our actions and/or inactions affect the lives of others around us. Our negative actions will have a negative affect to others. Likewise our positive action will have positive affects. In life I think we all want to be happy, we all want to matter to those around us. We all want to make a positive difference in our own lives and the lives of others. The good news is WE HAVE THE POWER. We have the power to not just affect our lives and the lives of others in a positive way, but we have the power to affect it in a negative way. The defining realization in life is one of responsibility to others well being as well as your own.

We have that power. We can brighten the day of a stranger with a smile. We have the power. We can comfort the heart of a loved one. We have the power. We can give someone the strength to continue when all seems too much to take. We have the power. We can find the strength in ourselves to wakeup in the morning, to breath, to open our eyes to the possibilities of life. We have the power. We can find joy and satisfaction in life and the rewards of that life. We have the power.

When we feel as if we can’t go on. We have a far greater difficulty trying to convince ourselves that we can. We can more easily accept the words of encouragement from others. Let’s be that other person for someone else that needs it. Let’s be that encouragement to others so they can continue when they think they can’t. The universe has a way of reciprocating what we put out there. When we strive to help others, we will get help in return.

If you doubt this logic, try it anyway. What can be the harm. When a child cries, comfort them. When a friend sits in silence, sit with them. When someone frowns, say something nice and make them smile. You won’t always be successful when you try to help others, but the times you are will make the failures worth it. Just try to make another’s life a bit brighter a bit kinder and KARMA will do the rest.

2. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

meaning of life - 42 :)

3. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

Certainly I agree with you about treating other people compassionately. And as hard as it is, I'll even add that even when people hurt us, we have to forgive them.

As far as the meaning of life, let each person find it by themselves. There's No one-size-fits-all. After all, each person is different. In My case, I've found my meaning and purpose in life, one which evolved gradually over a long period of time. But now that I have it, it gives me the strength to keep surviving mentally. Once I finally found my purpose, it helps me to cope. Let each person find their own different and individual purpose.

4. theaterfreak

theaterfreak Well-Known Member

i don't think there is one. we are just things moving around, breathing, and taking up space.

5. topper

topper Well-Known Member

We all decide our own meaning, or lack thereof. There's no universal answer.

6. Julia-C

Julia-C Well-Known Member

Which is why I didn't answer that question.