What is the point in life?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by screwback, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. screwback

screwback Member

I know this question has been brought up billions of times, but sometimes i just think down and wonder to myself 'really what is the point?'
    Life on the whole, DOES NOT MAKE ANY SENSE. Sure you are given the ability to feel a wide range of emotions, some of which are nice (love, delight etc) and then emotions that we particularly don't need and that in some ways hold us back from reaching our full potential in life (anxiety, depression etc)
    Just look around you, wherever you are sitting, and ask yourself 'what is the meaning of all this?', it's almost humorous, that we as human beings, live on the earth and have absolutely no idea of our purpose in life.
    Everyday the same cycle begins: Get up for work, work 3/4 of the day, get in and then go to bed only for it to all start again in the morning. A very high percentage of people do this all of their lives, what for?

I have been called pessimistic dozens of times because i always seem to see the bad side of most things, i can't help this however, as i feel as though the world generally is a bad place to live in, with a lot of nasty and corrupt people.
    The thought just keeps running through my mind about the subject of death, and what actually happens afterwards. Surely we cannot just cease to exist, what the point in that? And i really can't see us going to 'heaven', as lets face it, there wouldn't be much point in that either.
    So death must actually be like the point in time before you were actually born, whatever that was like. I find the possibility of reincarnation actually happening is greater than some of the fairly tale stories most religious people come out with. At least that has some for of logic, i don't really know...

Most people don't even let the thought of death even enter their minds or discuss it because it is often thought of as a taboo subject, maybe because they are trying to forget that it is an inevitability...
    There are 3 things that bother me about dying they are: What happens next? Losing consciousness, and leaving loved ones behind.
    I've always been very interested in death, perhaps a bit morbid, but i feel very strongly about it. It will happen eventually to everyone of us.

Does anything matter in life? If there was a so called 'god', why can't he just show himself just once, that would be enough for me and i swear i would live by his expectations and principals. I don't particularly have a great life, but a fairly normal one, that is when these thoughts aren't constantly barraging my brain.

I feel as though everything is just so insignificant, everything will come to an end one day.
    Why have 'faith' in a religion such as Christianity when it just doesn't make any sense. It basically states in simple terms, that Gods right hand man (lucifer) 'fell out' with god. Then Adam and Eve were created in the garden of Eden, which makes no sense at all, whats the point in that? Who were then hassled by the devil so he could prove that they can be misguided, and disobey god(eating the apple, which god said not to). They then were turned into mortals who were dying.

So it's basically like 2 ex best friends having a big fall out and one of them is trying to prove the other wrong, but in the process a WHOLE CIVILISATION of people have been brought into the equation to get hurt, by no fault of their own. God is supposed to be perfect right? Well couldn't he see into the future and know what was going to happen to us?
    Why can't he just destroy the devil if he is so powerful? Or does he just want to continue on with the long-winded point that he is trying to get across until 'armageddon...'?

Also what is the point in God himself(if there is one)? Surely he must be bored to death by now thinking about committing suicide:tongue:

Nothing makes ANY SENSE.

I know people here won't be able to answer the question that i have asked, but it will be interesting to see if anybody else thinks similar to this just to put me at some ease, as my mind can go into overdrive sometimes.

Cheers anyway:smile:

2. palmtrees

palmtrees Well-Known Member

I think about this stuff all the time. Why are we here in this world with no definite explanation about what to do or what's going on? How did we get here? How are we even alive when there was a time where we weren't?

Things look completely pointless to me much of the time and I often think about ending myself and being done with it all. I'm going to die anyway...most people don't even think about this and have no real path or goal that they're planning for during the course of their lives.

The best answers I've come to are basically from existentialist philosophy, that we create our own goals and meaning, that we're not conceived with a set purpose so we have the freedom to choose what our purpose will be. For me I've just started figuring out that I can do a lot of things I never thought possible (dancing, singing, dating cute girls, becoming charismatic and cocky, getting good at higher mathematics, customer service with a smile, and on and on). My purpose is to accomplish everything I wanted to do in the past but never thought I could. And in a few years I'll be completely new and improved, ready to take on new journeys and experiences.

Ultimately, I want to head for a sort of heaven on earth, where we figure out how to stop death and even bring back people who have already died. Where we can travel through space and time, meet Albert Einstein, jam with Jimi Hendrix, go surfing on Jupiter's moons. A state of godliness where we can do anything we imagine. I'm trying to do whatever I can do to make that happen.

3. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I find it interesting that man is in competition with this so called god. Who is going to destroy this planet first. In gods corner we have hurricanes,tornados, floods, mud slides, disease, malnutrition, volcanoes, etc.etc.etc.
    In mans corner we have wars, biological weapons, and the all powefull nuclear bombs and missiles. And all this is happening now. Even countries like Iran,Iraq, and some smaller countries who are trying to become a super power.
    We are all F****d. There is not a damn thing we can do. If we threaten to use nuclear weapons, other countries are going to use biological weapons on us. When does it end? That is the question I would like answered?

4. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Well-Known Member

I think that if you want all those questions about God and the universe, etc., you ought to take them to a minister. You have some misconceptions about Christianity, which could easily be explained.

5. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

yah i know how you feel. life seems awfully nihilistic. although there may be a spiritual side to it. why live if we dont enjoy it? im waiting just to see what happens to humankind.

6. pit

pit Well-Known Member

All I gots to say is, Love is the meaning of life. Life is the meaning of Love. Courtesy of The Rutles, thank you.

7. aki

aki Well-Known Member

I don't see why there has to be a point.

8. Jooper62

Jooper62 Well-Known Member

I feel the same way since i was a kid...I also wish I had the answers. I feel the same way.....sorry I couldn't help I struggle with it my self:sad:

9. Starlite

Starlite Senior Member

You will find many different answers and reasons to a "point to life". One thing you will find is that life has a different meaning to almost everyone. it is up to us what we want to make for ourselves that happy life and what keeps us going. Personally I feel the point to life is to find something you enjoy doing and stick to it. Whatever it is that makes you happy at the moment . It may be many different things, it may be something different every day. But whatever it is, don't give up..because if you do, you may miss it the next day or the next. No, it isn't easy, but life isn't easy , it is something you have to work toward. But it is worth it.

:hug:

10. saeyoon Chung

saeyoon Chung Well-Known Member

to find joy and pleasures
    to watch and study fellow human beings
    to amount to something and become somebody
    to buy a small, cozy house of my own
    to find my soulmate and girlfriend
    to learn French and Japanese
    to keep playing guitar and learning new songs
    to find a career that'll imbue me with a sense of purpose in life.

I don't know..
    As for me, I keep lowering my standard of happiness so I don't freak out and have a panic attack everytime I look back on my life.

There're some people who seem to have everything.. beauty,talents, wealth, fame and great friends. And when I watch their daily lives, I can kind of see why life is worth living. Life can be fun..
    Life is indeed worth living if you have a lot to offer.
    But.. getting to that 'status' can take a lifetime.

11. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I am also curious (as most people are) about knowing what happens to us after we die. There are so many possibilities. Do we go to heaven? Do we reincarnate? Do we go to an astral world? Do we just become nothing? I think our spirits go to the astral world and will eventually reincarnate as someone else. Our bodies obviously die and rot away. I believe that God does exist, but he/she/it will not reveal himself to us, unless we are ready to see him. If you want to experience God, you have to spend many hours in meditation, and even then who knows? You might get a glimpse, you might not. Try meditating on God and ask him to give you meaning to your life.

12. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

Each person has to find his own purpose. To find a meaning and/or purpose is NOT one-size-fits-all. After all, each person is an individual.

In MY case, one valuable lesson is "Less Is More." That is, the less possessions we have, the more satisfaction we have." That's why I got RID of the computer at home and just use comp at library, because when I had internet at home,I spent too much time at the computer to the extent where I would Not go out and socialize in person. As a result, it worsened my depression. So I got RID of the computer, and so now I feel better because I socialize IN-PERSON.

That does not apply to everybody but for MANY of you, it would.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.