What is the point of chat?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by iamtoosad, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iamtoosad

iamtoosad Member

What is the point of this site -- and its chat room -- if it's populated by 16 year old boys who argue (and thereby invalidate) instead of support?

The answer to the question, "Does anyone know any ways of breaking out of a crappy mood" is not "jerk off."

The answer to the remark, "I don't think you got my point, but thanks anyway," is not "So take door number 1 and go jerk off."

I am suicidal and this is what your site offers me.

< Mod Edit Hazel: Inflammatory >

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2009
  2. jKORE

jKORE Senior Member

hey, im sorry you were treated that way. there are a few people that have no consideration for others feelings and im sorry you made contact with those people before you found the support you were looking for.

if you ever want to chat with someone who cares message me anytime.
    please stay around and get to know us. most of us are decent people and we rely on each other for support.

i hope your well.

:hug:

3. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

Yep nobody else on this site is suicidal it's only you. < Mod Edit Hazel: Inflammatory > . This site doesn't have magical answers that make you feel better about yourself so stop pretending like it does. Hope you feel better soon. < Mod Edit Hazel: Inflammatory >

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2009
  4. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

Not everyone's like that. Just because a handful are doesn't mean every single member is. Theres people that you don't get on with in real life; there's bound to be people you don't get on with here. I hope you give this place another chance though - as has been said there are plenty of decent people here too.

TDM

5. iamtoosad

iamtoosad Member

Why do you keep trying to make me feel worse?

6. subterranean

subterranean Member

I was at the chat yesterday for the first time...
    and I had expected something else too.
    everyone said HI to eachother and seem to know eachother... and they exchanged smileys and hugs et cetera

and I felt too old for that... I mean chat.. I am 44
    I did not stay at the chat very long
    and I did not know what to expect either

however.. this world is full of oldies and youngsters... and we should try and understand and listen... if a 16 year old says "jerk"... well.. that is just his way of trying to help or ease your pain...

we have to keep our ears listening and minds alert and open..
    because one day.. maybe it is a sixteen year old person who actually comes up with some advice or thought that will change your life completly.

and also...
    what if the sixteen year old is someone who is 52 yrs in reality. you don't know that!
    "it's all in your mind" as the beatles said in the Yellow Submarine cartoon

7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Why do you wish us horrible deaths?

Lots of stupid people at all ages. Please don't stereotype, I know some wonderful 16 year olds. Lots of stupid people at any site. It's unfortunate that they're causing problems... Many ought to be put under moderation and/or removed from chat, IMO - but that seriously restricts their ability to get help... so the mods are careful in handing those out. The forum is much more... high brow than the chat. If you're looking for support, you should come to the forum. If you're looking for Internet chat in all its glory, go to chat.

8. Epical Taylz

Epical Taylz Well-Known Member

:hug: im sorry your time in chat was so horrible
    but i dont think that gives you the right to put down those kids.
    you should have told a mod about it :hug:

9. iamtoosad

iamtoosad Member

"but i dont think that gives you the right to put down those kids."
    What are you talking about?

10. iamtoosad

iamtoosad Member

jKore, TDM, Sub - thank you.

How does one use this site to get help?

I seem to have found the anti-site.

11. iamtoosad

iamtoosad Member

No, he didn't say "jerk," he and another one specifically told me if I wanted to feel better I should jerk off. They were literally suggesting (and I don't necessarily think this is the problem) that I should go masturbate. This wasn't the problem. It was the flip remark about "taking door number 1" as my only option when I suggested this wasn't what I was looking for.

I don't have a problem with children suggesting masturbation as a solution -- if that works for them, fine. But it's not what I'm looking for and when I politely declined I got sarcasm. THIS is what I'm objecting to.

12. Epical Taylz

:hug:
    im sorry for misreading.
    please give me a second chance would you?

those kids had no right to say what they did
    i agree.

13. iamtoosad

iamtoosad Member

"and also...
    what if the sixteen year old is someone who is 52 yrs in reality. you don't know that! "

Physical age appears to be irrelevant. I know how 16 year olds act.

I can only go by behavior.

People's bodies age, whether or not their minds do.

14. iamtoosad

iamtoosad Member

Taylor - of course, and thank you for your kind words.

15. Epical Taylz

your welcome :hug:
    i dont think that it's right that those kids were acting so.. outragous during chat when you clearly needed some help.
    i would talk to a mod about it if you remembered some of their names.
    masturbation is the answer to many young kids
    but they must realize that it isnt that easy.

16. jKORE

jKORE Senior Member

iamtoosad, we find the support through correspondence with others that feel the same as us.
    There are many hundreds of different reasons people have stumbled onto this site, and it's very likely that you will find someone that is going through what you are experiencing.
    But thats where you need to be pro-active. Search the threads for people with similar problems. Post your own threads, and actually talk to the people that respond. They respond because they care.
    Ignore the odd rude comment, but I ask please, that you not tell us to "die horrible deaths"... Many of us are just hanging on to life. We don't need that negativity around us.
    I understand your upset, but I have found that getting involved with others' problems and giving advice where you can, is a sure-fire way to take your mind off your own problems.
    I promise you, it works. Get involved. Make friends. It's saved me more than once.

And remember, we are here to chat anytime. I hope you begin to feel at home here.
    Peace.

:)

17. SpencerA

SpencerA Well-Known Member

hi subterranean, people of all ages use chat, and over time everyone does get to know everyone else and the majority of us are very welcoming to newcomers, part of the site and chat buddies jobs are to welcome newcomers to both the forum and chat so they don't feel uncomfortable with using either. hope to speak to you sometime soon. x

18. iamtoosad

iamtoosad Member

I am very sorry for my behavior toward kind people when I was triggered. I lumped everyone together.

Believe me, if I weren't trying not to fall to the place where I, too, hang on by threads, I wouldn't be here in the first place.

I know exactly what it's like to be under the pool cover drowning. It was not my wish to hurt anyone else. It's not that I don't empathize.

I am certainly grateful for everyone who stepped up to the plate to disavow the welcome I got.

I specifically went to the place called "triggering subjects" so that I could talk about things that wouldn't trigger people outside that place.

Isn't there a moderator who can cut off the junk that goes on there? Seriously, if I were on a really bad edge that would have been AMPLY MORE THAN ENOUGH to push me over.

19. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Yes,there's plenty of moderators. There is a moderator in chat right now.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience in chat. We aren't all like that, I hope you try again :arms:

20. SpencerA

SpencerA Well-Known Member

we do have moderators, and really decent ones also. the chat rules have recently been changed for the better, but you've probably just come in at a time where some people who disapprove of the new rules are rebelling against them, and probably at an inconvenient time where no moderators were around to monitor chat. if a moderator had been in the room at the time you were having issues, whoever was hindering you would have been chucked out. x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.