What is the point?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Expectation, Nov 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Expectation

Expectation Active Member

Seriously though, whats the point? My mind keeps coming back to that and its the root of my depression, and I'm not talking about whats the point in life.. I mean, whats the point?
    Friends want to come over and hang out for a couple hours? Whats the point?
    A half hour into playing a video game and I sit there and realize "Whats the point?" I mean, I know I have to reach a goal to end the game, but why am I doing this? So then it becomes uninteresting and it bores me.

But honestly, the big thing is whats the point with life. Why am I here? I have no real reason to exist.
    There are more examples I just don't feel like there is a point to typing more out.

and honestly? What is the point in posting this? I really don't know why I am I just felt like I needed to share.

Anyone else feel this way? How do you get over it?:alien:
  2. Donnanobispacem

Donnanobispacem Well-Known Member

I don't think I could motivate myself to complete a video game! but there are lots of purposeful pursuits in life.
    Work, volunteering, creative stuff, nature watching...just a matter of trying different things and finding something you're interested in or even passionate about.
  3. Expectation

Expectation Active Member

Well, I wasn't really talking just about video games, I'm talking about everything.
    What happens when every ounce of motivation is gone?
  4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

It's a classic sign of depression to lose interest in everything and to ponder what the point even is??
    The thing is, in my opinion I don't believe anyone can actually answer those questions for you, you need to ask yourself do you need professional help to get you to enjoy things again and find a purpose and motivation. I know a lot of people are against medication but it IS a good starting point. When I was at rock bottom counselling helped me do things in my mind and physically that I would not have done otherwise, just small things then build it up yourself. My advice, get professional help see your doctor and see what they can offer, refer you and suggestions.

Good luck to you, I really hope you get out of this rut.
  5. Donnanobispacem

Donnanobispacem Well-Known Member

I actually think video games and other mindless activities can cause depression symptoms and lethargy, there are far more healthful pursuits than wasting time and money on video games if they bore you! They totally bore me.

Try to motivate yourself to do something else and if all your motivation- to do ANYTHING- truly has gone then as Petal says seek support or help.

Nobody has any great existential reason to exist Expectation- we just do, and try to do our best to discover and hold good values those who deep-think about this stuff.

By finding what those good values are for you you'll have some of the highs in your life, like parenting, teaching, nature etc have been for me...
  6. Roots

Roots Well-Known Member

We don't know what the point is. But we should all try to find our own purpose. Maybe we'll find out some day.
  7. Mr.Durp

Mr.Durp Member

I have a hard time finding a purpose. No matter what I do I always seem to be bad at it (at least in my mind. At this point I really don't know what I actually am and what I have just become in my own mind.) Every time I do something wrong I always feel as if everyone all of a sudden secretly hates me and avoids me. Every little thing that happens I always think over to myself "Why did he do that? Was that some sort of signal that he doesn't like me?" etc. etc... I haven't been able to ever get past that for a long, long time.
  8. Flood

Flood New Member

I’m facing the same situation. I’ve been thinking about those shit ( What is reality? Is everything void? etc.) in the recent 3 months and I really suffered. Something keeps me from killing myself and I wonder what it is.

So what is the meaning of life?
    1.I’ve thought about the DNA stuff but it’s just floating on the surface. Why would the genes reproduce? What for? Apparently it’s not the true answer.
    2.Aristotle said happiness is the point but I disagree.It’s the same as the genes theory.We feel happy so we can survive.

But it’s still not the answer.

I just talked to my teacher and i feel better now. I’m too young.I need time to figure it out.

So right now my answer is “Just be alive” and I should find some “strategies” to oppose the confusion.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.