What. is. the. point...

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by kidB, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kidB

kidB Active Member

I have to start off with a quote from a book I'm reading. The book discusses, in the very beginning, a tiger walking back and forth in its cage at a zoo. While pacing, the tiger can do nothing but ask itself, over and over: "Why?" Below is the quote, from Daniel Quinn's "Ishmael":

Notice the last part there: "And of course this question is something that not tiger does in its normal habitat."

A human's normal habitat is not society. Thus the rejection of life.

Really, what is the point of living? For "happiness"? What the hell is happiness? In my opinion: ignorance. While happy, a person is free of existential crises and thus does not ponder over the question. In fact, a "happy" person will probably avoid and ignore such a question, simply because it has no answer, and will ultimately lead them to unhappiness.

I ask this in an entirely objective way. I'm not crying out for help. In fact, I don't really even think there is an answer. It's just something for all of us to ponder...

2. kidB

kidB Active Member

Maybe the post is too long to read or something...

Something I'd like to add: if you have love in your life, hang on to it. Never take it for granted.

3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I think the point is to live in love. You don't necessarily need it from elsewhere. It can come from within. And happiness follows.
    Truth is always accompanied by joy.

4. alexander01

alexander01 Active Member

the earth is not the humans natural habitat, the earth is for creatures like tigers Birds ect. the heavens is our natural habitat.

5. mystereo2099

mystereo2099 Well-Known Member

Happiness is a by-product. You can't attain it, you just grind along hating everything til there's a moment when the thoughts and the questions cease and you feel content in the moment. The second you realize it, it's gone. That's happiness.

perhaps, i dunno.

6. kidB

kidB Active Member

I don't want to turn in this into a religious debate, but quite frankly, I don't believe that's true. Humans are mammals, and of the animal kingdom, just like every other animal on this planet. The planet is our natural habitat, of course. I reject the society mankind has built for itself. I exist for no purpose.

7. mystereo2099

mystereo2099 Well-Known Member

I exist to transcend the human world of suffering so I may find peace and be happy. I'm an atheist, I doubt god exists so don't say I'm religious. I exist to destroy society and the prison that my mind is in.

8. alexander01

alexander01 Active Member

I dont think god dosent exist, and I dont beleive you have no purpose either, but if you dont find a purpose for youself no one else will, no psycologist no doctor no one. rejecting society wont help, why dont you blend in? like almost everybody else. I think that would be your cure and the cure for most of us here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.