what is the purpose of life?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by morning rush, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

seriously, what's the point of living? to work so you can pay for your things? what kind of living is that? makes no sense to me...

I've been thinking about this question for a while now...I don't get why were alive...to suffer, to love, to work and work and work without enjoying anything?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Time to get out then and enjoy some living okay with all the work you have put in Time to take a day off for just having fun okay hugs

3. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have a clue. In basic terms, you could put the purpose of life as 'just to be happy'. Because that's what we're trying to achieve by doing everything we do. To feel some sought of positive emotion.

But for me it's like what you said...'work work work without enjoying anything'. I've come to the conlusion that I stopped wanting to be here a long time ago. Just superficial things keep me around, there's no real hope. I'm just waiting.

Hopefully things get better for you or something :hug:

4. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

No one asks to be born so we just try to have a decent quality of life throughout all life stages. We should be compassionate to all people and living things and good stewards of this planet. Life is amazing; billions of years and people before our own and billions after.

5. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

We are trapped in the work/debt cycle since the day we are born. I also dont know whats the purpose/meaning of life its the million dollar question people have been asking themselves since the age of dawn.

Cant think of a valid reason. maybe someone else can?

6. doityourself

doityourself Well-Known Member

Life is worth it because it was given to you.

7. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

Why should a gift be sanctioned by worthiness and how do you know life is a gift.

8. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

what is the purpose of death.. i refuse to be beaten by depression and the lack of reasoning behind the idea of life. life has possibilities, so i tell myself

9. sweep

sweep Well-Known Member

very good question, i dont really know the answer, but i no life is much more than we percieve. its vast and diverse, complex yet simple in its beauty

as for my own life, there isnt much reason at all :( i live in hope that one day i can be happy.

10. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Continue the cycle of life until you die. Same purpose as all living things.

11. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

We're all slaves with white collars.

12. Chalmers

Chalmers Well-Known Member

There is no point. It is amazing though. The sound of my child's laugh, the taste of a new food, the colors of a sunset and the early morning chill. Once here we have a responsibility to our loved ones to try to make it through the rough times for them. No matter what we do the end comes for us all. There's little sense in rushing the journey.

13. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

But to what end? Why are we programed to propagate and continue the cycle of life?

14. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

I know you probably don't want this answer but I'm going to say it just in case you do. I believe we were all put here for a reason. A different reason for everybody. Now, I'm not necessarily talking religiously right now :p But for me God plays a part. But He doesn't have to for what I am talking about right now. Everyone was put here for a reason. You just have to stick it out to find your reason :hug:

15. jasonkramer

jasonkramer Well-Known Member

grow to maturity, reproduce and then die. with this you then have to wounder the point of having asexuals like me and homosexuals. sort of counter reproductive.

16. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

That depends. At this rate, we'll end up overpopulating the eath if one of the major forces doesn't decide to let fly with a few nuclear warheads.

To be counter productive, wouldn't they have to destroy life? In comparison to creating it? Plus gay people can still have families, and asexuals just don't intend on being with someone(I assume).

17. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

For me, My exsistance, is to make myself happy as best i can, and to do what i want to do in life (or would like to) within reason of course.

Outside of that, people could say to ahve kids. but i dont want them.

I just want to have as full a life for me, as possible.

18. ddd1600

ddd1600 New Member

To be honest, I have found that, while the "problem" of life (if you'd like to frame IT in those terms) is divided into a number of realms.

But the question here I think has alot to do with a.) ethics, and b.) motivation.

Part of what makes people so sad I think is the walls we place between ourselves and others. Life, no matter what words you use to describe it or "change" it, is a pre-existing condition which is philosophized AFTER it is brought into existence.

I think we understand life fully and contently when we have good dreams. Dreaming blurs the lines which are logically set up between the self (the body) and...well...as far as my studies have concluded, God.

Happiness, I would argue, is constituted by enthusiasm on one side, and contentedness on the other. Which is to say, it is a combination of joys which come from the past (an idea-lized experience), the present (a raw experience), and the future (a non-experienced idea). And maybe, just maybe, if God were manifest in the form of a single person, God wouldn't always be a happy guy or girl. And maybe, just maybe, God wouldn't be able to fly without the aide of technology, just like everybody else.

Maybe God is something which happens to us, not something we become.

I long ago stopped searching for explicit answers to the Why question because of a.) my understanding of words as true beasts as impossible to nail down as a subatomic particle and b.) my concrete realization that the question, THE question (or, put differently, the word) "WHY", for an adult, divides into two different directions.

Before I go on, let me first drop a quote on you:
    "As many parents will know, most children go through a 'why phase' of varying length and intensity. They demand to know why they must do anything or why anything happens at all. It is for this reason that Isaiah Berlin reputedly described philosophers as adults who persist in asking childish questions. The problem for both parent and child is that the child does not know when to stop and the parent often does not know how to stop them."

Kids ask "why" alot, and by ask, I mean OUT LOUD. Adults, too, engage in the same kind of activity, the only difference being experience to a certain degree, that, and boredom or disaffection. But as we age, a socialized phenomenon of adulteration or development begins to parry down the socially encouraged forms of inquiry. This is to say, while fundamental questions persist, "why" as a motivational question is eventually hushed up, and we are left with the truly "adult" mode of inquiry: "HOW".

So based on the only thing I know for certain, the dynamics of words, the development of the human mind/experience in terms of inquiry begins as a common impulse embodied by one word, "WHY", and, based on EXPERIENCES, the primordial impulse (lets just call it a dynamic, or a pattern, but what we're talking about here fundamentally is delocalized, systemic brain activity---thought) of WHY splits into TWO directions. Mechanical and motivation---HOW, and WHY.

If you're reading stuff on this forum, my guess is that at some or several points during that crucial period of development between the early "whys" and the later "nuts and bolts" conversations, you missed out on certain EXPERIENCES which were meant to satiate your desire for life (social) and knowledge (psyche). This is to say, you were not rewarded enough to take for granted, to ASSUME, almost emotionally, certain FUNDAMENTAL thought processes (patterns) which would lead you from the motivational "why" (future-oriented) to the mechanical "how" (present-oriented) thought process.

And let me tell you something, now that we've teased out the fundamental impulse (the thought/mental-pattern preceeding subversive questioning) of WHY into "why" (motivational/subjective) and "how" (mechanical/objective), lets just come to terms here people, these two respective questions, though born of THE SAME SOURCE, are like well, they're like Yin and Yang, or God and the Devil, or the Devil and God, or whatever dude, but let me tell you something----
    - first of all, they are both there to SUPPORT you and US
    - you are NOT alone in terms of the friction and angst which comes when dealing with old questions you already know the answer to, and the difficulty of thinking objectively and "like an adult" when the work just doesn't seem to be paying off, you're not alone....and out of that suffering, that shared experience, somewhere inbetween you and me, you'll find something like love
    - and three---they both came from the same place....men and women, chickens and eggs, whys and hows...

We're natives. What you think, I think, what I think, you think...maybe not at the same time, but let me end on this.....

Dream while you're awake, and live while you dream----the sharing of suffering is perhaps one of the brightest lights in the den of depression and existential angst...because after the lights go out for any one of us, the train keeps going....

We're part of something bigger than ourselves, and as humans we, like animals are selfish, but we have something more, the ability to perceive into the future....It is our blessing and our curse. Our strength as a race is quite literally our strongest source of suffering, for at some point, the child inside of us seems to flatline....as if in an operating room, all that is left is an objective, adult mindset with the enthusiasm and and joy of childhood only a memory. And shit, some of us don't even have that. Hold onto to those you have known since that time, those who remember the shared experience of growing up, of being a child, of living with wonder and a positive sense of overwhelment....Because that inner child isn't dead, you'll never forget. And maybe, just maybe, because of all of this suffering you're going through right now, you might become a better person for caring so much about something other than yourself...that shared experience of growth and wonder we ALL shared.

(By the way, guys, that's what chicks are looking for...that spark...while of course a few other...things...are required...it's mainly that...'snatch her while you're glowing...they can always tell when you're glowing...)

19. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

So your anti Natura like all homosexuals, asexuals, disabled etc since we are here just to procreate.

20. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

Reread what i posted:

I could not be against "homosexuals, asexuals, disabled etc" as I am gay myself, against children, and listed in my governments eys as disabled now as i cannot work due to my mental state.

And again, I dont want kids, never have never will. And i think people who have kids, unless extremely happy with their partner and that WONT (this is a variable so cannot be gaurenteed therefore makes it void) end, or else, very finacially/emotionally/mentally stable, shouldnt have kids.
    Having children is a life long commitment, you cant walk away form them if you dont liek them (like with relationships) and you have to fit your life around them. alot of people, from what i ahve seen, are not prepared nor willing to do this.
    So again.
    :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.